PDA

View Full Version : Procom Ventless gas heater - argggh won't light

whit richardson
10-26-2015, 1:14 PM
I finally found the solution to a cold garage shop, the ventless gas heater! Yes! I got a typical model from Lowe's a Procom ventless 30,000 BTU module last winter. during the year it started having problems lighting. I'd have to fidget with the pilot know click,click,click. Now this year it won't light at all. I've blown out the air inlets as recommended. blown out the who works, took the front cover off to check everything. It really doesn't seem like any gas is getting to the pilot when I press down but I feel the resistance like it is. Okay yes the gas valve is on. Even tried turning the other way too.

Anyone have similar experience with these heaters. if it's just cheap china crap I'll upgrade but I'd like to see if it can be fixed to work properly.

thanks folks

Yonak Hawkins
10-26-2015, 4:16 PM
whit, I have one of these I've used in my shop for years. I admit I don't use it very often as I have a wood burning stove and use the gas heater when I plan to be in the shop only for a period of time short enough that firing up the wood stove doesn't make sense. My gas heater is also finicky about lighting, as you experience. I suspect it's due somehow to the dusty environment and not a shortcoming of the heater. Usually, after awhile and, sometimes, after taking an air hose to it, it will start but there were times when I couldn't light it no matter how much I fooled with it.

Bruce Volden
10-26-2015, 5:18 PM
While I don't know about Procom heaters, I do have a Comfort Aire (also finicky). I have to take the air hose to it every fall.
When that fails to work I use a brass brush to clean the thermal couple and igniter. I also have a small blower on mine which requires yearly cleaning and lube. Make sure the igniter is in position to hit the thermal couple. My heater was new when I bought it back in 1994, there isn't much to go wrong on them so it is still working.
As an aside note, be aware that you will have lotsa moisture coming from your heater beings it's ventless.

Bruce

Jerome Stanek
10-26-2015, 5:49 PM
I have a desa heater that fires up right away as long as I shut it down then turn off the gas. I have about 15 ft of gas line between the shutoff and heater

Brad Adams
10-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Get rid of it and buy a vented hanging heater. I won't let my service techs re-light or work on any ventless heater.

Tom Giacomo
10-27-2015, 2:01 AM
I have had a Procom heater for 10 years now and it works perfect, recently it would not light I found it was the igniter went bad. You can go to any big box store and buy a universal igniter usually sold for grills and it will work fine. That is how I replaced mine.

Bruce Wrenn
10-27-2015, 9:51 PM
Have a DESSA that's over ten years old. Never any problem, though I will replace the batteries this year. Friend has "blue flame" model in small greenhouse. About every two years, we take a BRASS brush and clean pilot tube, as it corrodes where orifice is. Need to do same for WH we use at COM at state fair. You could take pilot tube loose and use a vacuum pump to draw corrosion out of orifice is. Don't try sticking a piece of wire through orifice to clean it as it will change size of opening.

whit richardson
10-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies and info. So I called Procom and got the helpful support lady "Did ya do this..? Oh what that's wrong!" first they tell me the heater is not designed to go in the garage. Really?? did I blow out the airvent, yes, what psi? About 70 psi, Oh that's too much you could damage the unit. Did I blow air into the pilot tube? yes, Oh that will damage the ODS sensor not supposed to blow air into that. Next what is my gas line pressure... well it lit last year. So the unit looks about as clean as the day it came out of the box last winter so no blowing out is fixing it. It worked great when it was lighting and the garage shop was perfectly comfortable. Procom to recommend their "garage" heater over $500 too. sorry I'm not going for an super expensive heater when this thing works fine when lighting. Also my plan for the next two years may have me moving the shop out of the garage anyway.

In short they will sell me a replacement ODS sensor kit. I called my plumber/gas line guy and he'll help me get it installed. Procom states if I want them to warranty the unit I have to have a qualified serviceman install the parts (I hear you but ..) in case that doesn't work and the thermocoupler is hosed they'll send me a new one.