PDA

View Full Version : Here's a couple of magic wands...

Ed Davidson
08-29-2005, 6:42 PM
...to go with that Harry Potter broom. Large bowling ball pen blanks for the handles, with Macassar Ebony and Red Kabas (looks like Red Palm) for the shafts.

John Miliunas
08-29-2005, 7:20 PM
As with the broom, those are real cool! Well done!:) Where do you pick up the bowling ball material???:) :cool:

Dave Smith
08-29-2005, 7:50 PM
Is there a magic size for the wands? Do they have to be a minimum size to work? What would be the maximum size a 6 year old could handle? Don't want her to do too much damage in case the thing works.

Glad you posted the pictures. I was going to ask about the sizes people are making these wands. Any input is appreciated. I know these things will be in demand this fall.

Dave Smith

Clueless about Harry Potter and his magic stuff in Longview, WA.

Ed Davidson
08-29-2005, 8:05 PM
Glad you like the wands. The bowling ball pen blanks were developed by Pens of Color a couple of years ago. Here's a link:

http://pocwoodworking.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/28_49

For these wands, I'm using the big 1" x 6" blanks. The wands are about 12" long and 3/4" at the widest point. It's really handy if you've got a kiddo hanging around to test them out.

John Miliunas
08-29-2005, 9:09 PM
Glad you like the wands. The bowling ball pen blanks were developed by Pens of Color a couple of years ago. Here's a link:

http://pocwoodworking.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/28_49

For these wands, I'm using the big 1" x 6" blanks. The wands are about 12" long and 3/4" at the widest point. It's really handy if you've got a kiddo hanging around to test them out.

Thanks for the link, Ed! Can I assume they machine about the same as Corian? Easier or harder? Regardless, pretty slick!:) :cool:

Ed Davidson
08-29-2005, 9:53 PM
John,

It's not like Corian at all. More like Acrylic, but softer and easier to turn...loooog ribbons.

Dick Parr
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Those are great looking wands Ed, I was just looking at the ones on you web site and really like those.

Great job. :)

Ed Davidson
08-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Dick...here's some more:

Dave Smith
08-30-2005, 1:41 AM
Ed you are light years ahead of me. I am still thinking about making some and you have a display rack full already. Do you sleep?

Dave Smith

Finished a pen order today in Longview, WA.

Michael Stafford
08-30-2005, 3:55 AM
Beautiful wands, Ed. They don't have any that nice at Hogwarts or Ellisander's wand shop..... :D

Keith Burns
08-30-2005, 7:56 AM
I know nothing about Harry Potter except that he is responsible for a lot of people making a lot of money so I don't know what these are used for. But I do know this, those wands are beautiful !

Jeff Sudmeier
08-30-2005, 8:54 AM
Those are some really great looking wands! Almost too good looking for toys! I'd be they are a hit.

Ed Davidson
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
I've been selling these wands for about two years now at $25.00 though one retailer here in Colorado Springs...average about 2-3 sales per month, which is pretty good considering there is practically zero material cost in these little guys.

Kurt Aebi
08-30-2005, 2:06 PM
Ed,

I bet some of those styles would sell to Turkey Call makers and hunters to use for strikers for their slate calls as well!

Great job, love the different designs you do.

Between you and Dick Parr - you've sure got the Harry Potter crowd covered!!