PDA

View Full Version : planer wear, tear and value

Wes Ramsey
10-26-2015, 9:57 AM
I found a Grizzly G0453 15" planer for sale on CL, which is what I've had my heart set on for a while. The ad says it has about 120 hours on it, which seems like a lot for the 2 years he's owned it. What sort of wear and tear should I be looking for after such heavy use? He listed $800 for the asking price, but that seems a bit high. Any objective thoughts on actual value?

Thanks in advance!

John Lanciani
10-26-2015, 10:57 AM
That's only a little more than an hour a week, In a commercial shop it could see that much use in a couple of months or less. It is very likely that with that little use it is coming form a hobby shop; I'd say that if it looks decent cosmetically it is a fair price for that quantity and type of use.

Wes Ramsey
10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks John! Maybe it isn't heavy use. Just sounds like a lot. I messaged him and he's firm on the price. It is in a temp-controlled shop, has no rust and needs new knives. And is 4 hours away :rolleyes:

roger wiegand
10-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Slightly more than an hour a week is heavy use? I'd hope not. My Delta has been used at probably twice that level for over 20 years now and still looks and runs like new with only blade sharpening as maintenance.

Sorry, no thoughts on price nor specific knowledge of Grizzly, but that really doesn't seem like a lot of use.

Matt Day
10-26-2015, 11:08 AM
I'd pass for sure. Buy new at that price.

I got my 4 post planer for under $400, though it needed some surface rust removed and new bearings/blades - I enjoy working on machines though.

cody michael
10-26-2015, 11:44 AM
I bought a grizzley 20 inch for 500$ but that was a very good deal, and I would say mine was heavy hobby use for 10-15 years, its used but still works great.

Robert Engel
10-26-2015, 1:09 PM
The machine is probably not hurt, but I think he's nuts.
The planer new is $1100 and that's including $100 worth of new blades.

He knows what he paid for it maybe he senses a newbie or a sucker.....

Offer him $400 and $500 tops and be prepared for him to insult your or laugh at you.

Wes Ramsey
10-26-2015, 1:58 PM
I thought about lowballing, but it does sound like its in fine condition, just with dull knives. The Springfield store is only 2 hours away, but it isn't just $1095 (on sale right now) for the planer - there's tax and gas. I called Grizzly and it would be ~$1220 OTD including gas for a new one or ~$900 for the used one including gas and new blades. That $320 might be a deal-breaker. I've got about $1k in my pocket right now earmarked for a planer. I'm really torn on this - I could 'borrow' the rest from my wife's business account and can pay it back before the end of the year with proceeds from Christmas presents I have on order, but that would leave me no $$ for some minor planned shop upgrades.

Or I could suffice with a DW lunchbox and put the rest towards a lathe upgrade in a year or 2.

Decisions....decisions...

Matt Day
10-26-2015, 2:06 PM
Wait for a better deal.

Allan Speers
10-26-2015, 2:10 PM
Definitely not a good price.

Wait a month, as he'll never sell it, then lowball him. Try to get it for $600, which would be fair, and then buy a shelix head for it, and you'll have a nice machine.

Bill Orbine
10-26-2015, 6:11 PM
You get the warranty when you buy new! I don't think 5 bills is low balling for that used planer........it's the right offer.

John Goodin
10-27-2015, 2:46 AM
FWIW, the same planer on Craigslist in San Antonio is 875. Based on a grainy photo it looks like the exterior is in great shape.