PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Make a Good Oscillating Sprinkler Anymore

Kent Adams
10-26-2015, 9:23 AM
Over the last couple of years, I haven't been able to find a good oscillating sprinkler at the Borg. This summer I bought a couple of the most expensive Gilmore sprinklers at HD and they are garbage. I have only one good one that I bought 10 years ago. The brand new Gilmores, at more than $20 apiece, leak and they don't oscillate properly. I have to make a dozen adjustments to the arm while it is on just to get something passable.

Here is a pic of the type of sprinkler I'm referring to:

The only one I could find that has all positive reviews is $100! Made in Germany of course: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84647?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=CKP-3Iqe4MgCFcMWHwodeW0PNw

Greg R Bradley
10-26-2015, 9:41 AM
I can't help you with a good one but I can tell you I'm having the same problem. I've tried several different brands Gilmour, Orbit, Nelson.
The all plastic adjustable nozzle Gilmour worked pretty well last summer with one lasting the whole year. This summer, I couldn't get the same model to last at all. Most stopped oscillating within a couple days and none lasted a month. I think I went through 6-7.
I think I would pay $100 if it would work like they did 10 years ago. I don't care about the fancy features I just want it to be reliable.

Kent Adams
10-26-2015, 9:55 AM
We've outsourced so much manufacturing its difficult to buy anything for common around the house use anymore that is worth a darn.

George Bokros
10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Had the same problem several years ago. They all seem like junk.

Greg R Bradley
10-26-2015, 10:49 AM
That $100 unit from H/S is a Gardena. You can get them from a number of places for less including Amazon. The reviews there are OK, not great.

Perrot gets good reviews. https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/impact-sprinklers/perrot-oscillating-sprinkler-tv2000-sled-base.html

Lee Valley carries their impulse. Maybe we can get them to bring in their Oscillator? Likely to be every bit of $100.

roger wiegand
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
I haven't tried this one, but at least it is metal rather than plastic: http://www.amazon.com/ColorStorm-Premium-Oscillating-Sprinkler-Maintenance/dp/B00ESB9J6I/ref=sr_1_60?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1445870463&sr=1-60&keywords=oscillating+sprinkler&refinements=p_n_feature_sixteen_browse-bin%3A3587789011

I have a plastic one that I use sometimes, but mostly have gone over to impact sprinklers I get from the Agway. All brass and seemingly indestructible. As I can, I'm running drip irrigation, for example to my apple trees. If the wife's garden redesigns ever settle down I'll think about drip or highly localized irrigation there. We're done with lawn watering forever-- now have an increasingly nice acre plus of prairie plants that do fine without additional water instead.

glenn bradley
10-26-2015, 11:07 AM
I think I would pay $100 if it would work like they did 10 years ago. I don't care about the fancy features I just want it to be reliable.

We've outsourced so much manufacturing its difficult to buy anything for common around the house use anymore that is worth a darn.

This adds credence to something I hear myself saying more and more often as time goes by; "we've put ourselves in a situation where you can't buy a good one, no matter how much you are willing to pay." I was reminiscing about a 40-odd year old Craftsman router I gave a member who was looking for parts. He is still using the router and it was a Craftsman! American manufacturing, why hast thou forsaken me :(.

Kent Adams
10-26-2015, 11:58 AM
That $100 unit from H/S is a Gardena. You can get them from a number of places for less including Amazon. The reviews there are OK, not great.

Perrot gets good reviews. https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/impact-sprinklers/perrot-oscillating-sprinkler-tv2000-sled-base.html

Lee Valley carries their impulse. Maybe we can get them to bring in their Oscillator? Likely to be every bit of $100.

That Perrot seems substantial, but unfortunately, its UK based.

Kent Adams
10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Glenn, I'm hoping at some point there will be a backlash against poorly made Chinese products and the retailers will start to carry higher quality goods or start to pay attention to their Chinese manufacturers quality. Good products can be sourced from China (iPhone), but it takes a retailer to care about the quality coming out of those factories. If they don't care and are only concerned with profit, it will never get better.

Barry McFadden
10-26-2015, 1:23 PM
I use this sprinkler http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=44959&cat=2,2280,33159 It may require moving around depending on your lot size but the fact that it has no moving parts and works great is why I bought it.

Brian Elfert
10-26-2015, 1:39 PM

It is possible to outsource something and get a good product too. The problem is when the bean counters decide to outsource something they usually want it redesigned to save even more money, or they buy a poor quality design from the outsourcer and have their brand name applied to it.

I've seen some pretty high quality stuff made in China. The manufacturing was moved from another country to China and you couldn't tell the difference between the same items made in two different countries other than the country of origin label.

Andrew Joiner
10-26-2015, 5:31 PM
Over the last couple of years, I haven't been able to find a good oscillating sprinkler

I had the same problem. Cheap plastic ones and expensive metal all stopped working pretty fast.

Then I walked into a local Ace and bought Item no: 7139249. The box said LIFETIME WARRANTY. The first one performed fine for longer than the best metal ones. My local Ace happily handed me a brand new one free when the first one broke after 3 years. I had the receipt and Ace didn't even want to see it.

Pat Barry
10-27-2015, 8:23 AM
Glenn, I'm hoping at some point there will be a backlash against poorly made Chinese products and the retailers will start to carry higher quality goods or start to pay attention to their Chinese manufacturers quality. Good products can be sourced from China (iPhone), but it takes a retailer to care about the quality coming out of those factories. If they don't care and are only concerned with profit, it will never get better.
Interesting thought but,... Gilmour sprinklers is a US based company. They may contract with a chinese company to produce the product but you can bet they are built to the US companies design and related specifications. The US company is the responsible party to you as the consumer. If you are not happy, don't blame the chinese, go ahead and put the blame where it actually belongs.

Jon Nuckles
10-27-2015, 10:52 AM
I use this sprinkler http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=44959&cat=2,2280,33159 It may require moving around depending on your lot size but the fact that it has no moving parts and works great is why I bought it.

I was all set to add it to my order during Lee Valley's current free shipping period, but it is out of stock.

Kent Adams
10-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Interesting thought but,... Gilmour sprinklers is a US based company. They may contract with a chinese company to produce the product but you can bet they are built to the US companies design and related specifications. The US company is the responsible party to you as the consumer. If you are not happy, don't blame the chinese, go ahead and put the blame where it actually belongs.

Barry, if it wasn't clear, that's what I did and gave an example (iPhones are produced in China but are very high quality) to prove its not enough to say the Chinese producer was entirely at fault. Its entirely the US company's fault because they don't care about the quality of the product.

Pat Barry
10-27-2015, 6:08 PM
Barry, if it wasn't clear, that's what I did and gave an example (iPhones are produced in China but are very high quality) to prove its not enough to say the Chinese producer was entirely at fault. Its entirely the US company's fault because they don't care about the quality of the product.
That's right Adams, but you said "I'm hoping at some point there will be a backlash against poorly made Chinese products.." I merely pointed put that this is not necessarily putting the blame where it belongs. Sure you can blame the retailer if you want to and as a consumer, that's your normal first recourse.

Kent Adams
10-27-2015, 6:30 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to use your last name, you just have two names that could be first names and I overlooked which was actually first. I'm not here to argue, these are just my opinions.

william watts
10-27-2015, 7:22 PM
Yes, it's not poor Chinese manufacturing ,it's poor manufacturing by U.S. companies in China. It's my opinion that someday these companies will be exposed for what they are; bad corporate citizens. I read there is some movement back to this country, hopefully that grows. We cannot depend on our own resources in a time of need, what a situation to have to depend on China.