PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Jet 16/32

Andrew Kertesz
10-26-2015, 7:40 AM
I'm going to look at a Jet 16/32 that was dropped and has a bent conveyor bed. So I won't be able to test it under load. Supposedly everything turns and runs smoothly. Asking price is $400, but I was thinking offering $300. The conveyor bed is $139.00 plus shipping. Any quick thoughts?

Thanks....

Frederick Skelly
10-26-2015, 6:16 PM
That's 33% of retail, 25% if you get it for $300. If it only a $139 dollar fix, why so cheap - is it a used machine? Do you have any way to return it if you replace the bed and it wont work satisfactorily?

If it's new and you get it for $300, it's really a question of whether you can afford to gamble $300.

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out Andy.
Fred

Matt Meiser
10-26-2015, 7:10 PM
As a data point, I got $600 for a practically new one with supplies and the infeed/out feed tables 18 months ago. I was competing against older ones in the $500 range. For whatever reason drum sanders don't hold their value well.

Jeff Duncan
10-26-2015, 7:22 PM
They're pretty light weight machines, lot of plastic and sheet metal as I recall. I'd want to thoroughly examine it, check for other bent/broken parts that may not be seen on a quick inspection.

good luck,
JeffD

Matt Day
10-26-2015, 7:41 PM
Is it a brand new machine that was dropped?

Are you buying from a private seller or a business?

Andrew Kertesz
10-26-2015, 8:18 PM
OK. I bought the machine, it is dated 2010 so it is 5 years old. Everything spins freely and all the bearings seem solid. The table is bent but might be repairable. The only other issue I've found after I got it home and am unsure about a fix. The conveyor drive motor runs but the "smart sand" light doesn't come on and the motor housing is magnetized. Not knowing anything about electrical I am not sure how much of an issue this is and what to do to resolve it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Oh yeah, I gave $300 for the machine, not really a gloat but not bad.

Allan Ferguson
10-26-2015, 8:46 PM
Smart sand light comes on when the load is to heavy and will slow the belt speed.