PDA

View Full Version : how to wire an illuminated rocker switch

cody michael
10-25-2015, 9:48 PM
I have this switch, it is supposed to be illuminated but I can figure out how, there were no wiring diagrams etc when I bought it, here are some pics, any help would be appreciated, i have them setup so they control my lathe like I need temperature to, I just want them to light up so I can tell when it's on.

Lee Schierer
10-25-2015, 10:45 PM
From my experience the lighted rocker switches illuminate when the power is on, which means the light needs power from the completed circuit. Looking at your photos I would suggest using an ohmmeter to determine which contacts are connected when the switch is either position. I suspect that the center terminal on each side is the common and there is a normally open and normally closed for each position of the rocker. I would bet that the manufacturer's catalog shows the correct wiring of the switch. If you post the brand and model number of your switch, perhaps someone can find the schematic for it.

John McClanahan
10-26-2015, 7:38 AM
You are only showing one side of the switch. There should be some indication on the side of the switch for the lamp terminals. That switch looks like it has too many terminals to be a single poll illuminated switch. It looks like a double poll, double throw, non-illuminated switch to me.

John

cody michael
10-26-2015, 8:41 AM
here is the switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0L235K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I also have a 3 way on off on

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094GCA8G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

they both say they should be illuminated... I know how a normal switch works, and I can get these to work as switches but the illumination thing is throwing me, I tried put a neutral wire on the 3rd tab and when I plug it in it just shorted, dimmed lights until I unplugged it?

brand is lxing kcd4 is all the info it has on the switch, the 2 pictures show both sides of the switches. there are no markings I can find giving input on how to wire

Lee Schierer
10-26-2015, 4:11 PM
Hmm, the description says four pins, yet there are 6 terminals. Have you tried checking for continuity with an ohmmeter? The description also says DPST. One of the two reviews say the back light is neon which means it would not be very bright.

Lee Schierer
10-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Here is a video, that might help get your switch wired. Illuminated switch. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndOlIgn1ys)

cody michael
10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
I figured it out by trial and error, I had setup the power in power out on terminals 1,2 terminal 3 empty. in order for the switch to illuminate I had to put power in, on terminal 2 (middle) neutral on terminal 1 and power out on terminal 3. it lit up once or twice then stopped? the light was very dim, not what I was looking for, I think I am just going to wire a lamp to the power switch, that way it will turn on when I turn on lathe, and I can use the lamp while turning

Mike Heidrick
10-28-2015, 1:24 PM
You need to make sure your switch is rated for the total amperage.