PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Nordfab and it leaks a bit.

Patrick Walsh
10-25-2015, 8:12 PM
Is this normal.

I installed it all a few weeks ago now. It collects hooked up to my new Felder RL125 unbelievable. I went to use a few of my machines for the first time since getting the machine and hooking up the duct. After spending about a half day in the shop i became aware of a slight hiss. After investigating i able to find a number of connection points in the duct where a minor amount of air was escaping.

So is this normal. I'm new to Nordfab and really dont know what to expect. I guess i expected it to be air tight for the price of the stuff?

Martin Wasner
10-25-2015, 8:49 PM
I think in the big picture, a hiss is nothing compared to the air you're moving. Throw a piece of tape on it, call it done.

Patrick Walsh
10-25-2015, 9:10 PM
I already threw a couple pieces of tape on a couple of the leaks. It just seemed wrong putting metal tape all over my duct work that is supposed to be able to be torn down with ease.

Yeah a bit of tape solves the problem and is no big deal. On the other hand i was kinda shocked.

Suppose i really should nor be as surprised as i am.

I think in the big picture, a hiss is nothing compared to the air you're moving. Throw a piece of tape on it, call it done.

James Baker SD
10-25-2015, 10:54 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but do your connecting clamps have the foam sealers inside them?

I have nordfab and have not noticed any leaks, but then with the noise from the DC (Oneida cyclone in an adjacent room), I would never hear a hiss and I haven't specifically looked for leaks in any systematic way. I have replaced the foam in a few of my clamps though as in the early stages there was a lot of trial and error assembly that was hard on the foam.

Patrick Walsh
10-26-2015, 5:55 AM
Yup i have foam strips.

the foam is kinda inferior though. Maybe i could beef it up?

I hate to ask a stupid question, but do your connecting clamps have the foam sealers inside them?

I have nordfab and have not noticed any leaks, but then with the noise from the DC (Oneida cyclone in an adjacent room), I would never hear a hiss and I haven't specifically looked for leaks in any systematic way. I have replaced the foam in a few of my clamps though as in the early stages there was a lot of trial and error assembly that was hard on the foam.

David L Morse
10-26-2015, 8:11 AM
... i expected it to be air tight for the price of the stuff?
Nordfab doesn't claim that the stuff is air tight, just that it's easy to reconfigure. In fact their spec (http://www.nordfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Nordfab_General_Engineering_Specifications.pdf)ind icates that you should expect about .3CFM leakage per joint.

Alan Lightstone
10-26-2015, 10:56 AM
I'd make sure those joints are perfectly parallel to each other. That being said, I've not noticed any leakage on mine.

That being said, if the affected joints aren't going to be routinely disconnected, no harm in taping those and solving the problem.

Peter Aeschliman
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Nordfab doesn't claim that the stuff is air tight, just that it's easy to reconfigure. In fact their spec (http://www.nordfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Nordfab_General_Engineering_Specifications.pdf)ind icates that you should expect about .3CFM leakage per joint.

There's the answer!

Patrick Walsh
10-26-2015, 6:02 PM
Yup that is it.

Guess i need to learn to read the fine print ;)

Its no big deal as the solution is quite easy and obvious. I just wondered if it was to be expected.

There's the answer!