PDA

View Full Version : Questions for belt sander owners

Christian Aufreiter
08-29-2005, 5:35 PM
Hello folks,

I notice that some manufacturers offer sanding frames for their belt sanders.
Are those accessories really useful? Do you think it’s easier to control a belt sander when using a frame?
How about Makita belt sanders (particularly the 9403 (http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=9403) and the 9404 (http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=9404)) - do you consider them to be good tools?
Those of you who own a Festool Rotex, do you see any use for a belt sander?

Thanks in advance!

Chrstian

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 5:47 PM
I won a belt sander and have often thought about making a frame for it. I am sure it would make control a lot easier.

Mike Cutler
08-29-2005, 6:12 PM
I have a PC 3x21 belt sander. I've never used a frame, didn't even know such a thing existed. I might have to check one out now that you mentioned it.
The trick to a belt sander,imho, is to have continuous, fast motion over a large area. I never use a grit coarser than 120 either. If you need to concentrate on a small area,mark it with chalk and feather out to the edges. Never let the belt sander stop in one place, unless you know it needs it there.
I used my belt sander alot, until I got a drum sander. I still use it if the material is too wide for the drum sander, or I just need to work a surface by feel.
I've never used a Rotex so I can't make a comparison.
A belt sander takes a little practice, and a light patient touch, or you can ruin a large panel before you even realize what happened.
One more tip. Use some type of cord arrangement that hangs from the ceiling. If that cord catches on the end of the work bench and causes the sander to stall in one place,you will not be a happy person.
I know that alot of folks look a little sideways at belt sanders, but used properly they can be a valuable addition to a shop.

Richard Wolf
08-29-2005, 6:43 PM
Just to add to what Mike said, I have always loved belt sanders. They can do alot of stock removal very fast. In this case, bigger is not always better. I have always liked a 3X21 because they are light and easy to use. When you use a 4X24 you should really only be using it for table tops. Very heavy.
I have never used the frames, I think a small investment in practice would go alot further.

Richard

Dale Rodabaugh
08-29-2005, 6:54 PM
I bought a Sears Craftsman a few years back and have used it quite a bit,It is a 3X21 and I have no need for anything to improve it.Just what is a frame anyway??:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tony Falotico
08-29-2005, 8:59 PM
Just what is a frame anyway??:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think what Christian is referring to is a base that converts a hand held belt sander to a bench top vertical sander, similar to DeWalts
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attachment_detail.asp?productID=5945
I've considered the frame several times, seems it would be good for shaping small pieces, can't see much else one would do with it. Unless I'm seeing it wrong.......... I don't believe it was ever meant for hand held use.

Jim Becker
08-29-2005, 9:08 PM
Christian, I bought one for my Bosch 3"x21" belt sander, but have never put it on the tool so I can't tell you if it works well at all. Since then, I bought the drum sander and haven't picked up the belt sander since. (The belt sander is a nasty dust producer, too!)

Tony, the sanding frame is a base the helps keep you from "taking too much off" and gouging the workpiece...kinda a sub-base for the tool.

Tony Falotico
08-29-2005, 9:34 PM
Tony, the sanding frame is a base the helps keep you from "taking too much off" and gouging the workpiece...kinda a sub-base for the tool.

Jim, by any chance you got a pic or a link .... Don't believe I've ever seen one other than the type I referred to.

Brent Beelby
08-29-2005, 9:44 PM
Christian, I'm sure you're talking about using a frame so you don't gouge your material, so you might not be interested in these pictures. I wanted to be able to shape some small pieces of wood and so I built a little stand and does it ever hold the sander good. I used 1" dowels in strategic spots to hold it in place, and 1/8" plywood in the center to keep the belt off the table. With a 4X24 PC it really honks the wood off fast.
Brent

Christian Aufreiter
08-31-2005, 4:19 PM
Hi folks,

thanks for your replies.
Apparently, sanding frames (http://www.metabo.de/media_metabo/generate/bilddaten/big/0107500a_06.jpg) are not quite common/popular in the USA. As Jim pointed out, they are designed to control the amount of material taken off and to achieve a (rather) flat surface.
@ Richard & Mike: Thanks for your excellent tips.
@ Brent: I really like your solution. A stand is certainly a useful accessory for a belt sander.

Regards,

Christian

Dave Avery
08-31-2005, 8:27 PM
Christian,

Haven't used my PC 3X21 belt sander since I bought a Rotex.......