PDA

View Full Version : Help with scroll saw selection

Jim Colombo
10-25-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm in the market for a scroll saw and have narrowed the vast selections to DeWalt 788 and Excalibur 16. The DeWalt gets mixed reviews since moving overseas but the Excalibur is now made over there also.

Really gets confusing and I'm in search overload. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Henderson
10-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Buy a used DeWalt Type 1. Good quality and made in Canada, if I recall. I've used the DeWalt and it was a good scroll saw.

Mike

Charles Lent
10-25-2015, 12:19 PM
I have a DeWalt 788 type 1 and have been very happy with it, although I did take it apart and replace many of the bearings with higher quality (tighter tolerance) equivalents one time since I bought it. I've had it apart several other times for lubrication, but again, I use my scroll saws a lot and the DeWalt has held up very well for me. My other saw that I have is a Delta Q3 40-650 type 1 and although it is a good saw and has held up very well I prefer the blade clamps and tension adjustments of the DeWalt 788. So the Delta Q3 is now my "backup saw", even though it cuts a bit faster than the DeWalt saw due to it's rocking C frame design. Both saws have been just as accurate and do very fine and tiny work with ease, much smaller than my old eyes will let me without some form of magnification.

Charley

Max Neu
10-25-2015, 12:26 PM
If you plan on doing alot of bevel cuts,I would get the Excalibur.

John Sincerbeaux
10-25-2015, 4:56 PM
I took a Marquetry class from Paul Schurch about twelve years ago. He had about five different saws to try while in his class. Everyone always wanted on the dewalt. I bought one after that and have put hundreds of hours on it with zero issues. Ease of blade change is king! If there is a far superior saw out there, I would have bought it by now. I wish Martin made scroll saws:)

Larry Frank
10-25-2015, 5:32 PM
If you are just starting out, I would look for a used one to try. I have a Hegner that I bought used and it is great and even though 18 years old there are still parts available.

The Excalibur is a great machine no matter where it is made.

Steve Mellott
10-25-2015, 7:33 PM
I have the Excalibur but both the Excalibur and Dewalt saws are good brands. I do like the Excalibur angle set-up better on the Excalibur.

Michael Moscicki
10-25-2015, 7:47 PM
Everyone above has made good points. If you want the DeWalt DW788, look for a used one that is a type 1 which was made in Canada. It is what I have and highly recommend it. In regards to the Excalibur, the head tilts instead of the table so for bevel cuts the work piece remains flat on the table. Also the DeWalt is a 20 inch saw, while the Excalibur is a 16 inch saw.

If buying used look for these brands: RBI(USA), Hegner(Germany), Excalibur(Canada and imported), and DeWalt(type 1 Canada).

richard poitras
10-25-2015, 7:52 PM
The DeWalt gets mixed reviews since moving overseas but the Excalibur is now made over there also.

Thanks,
Jim

How long ago / or when did they change the Excalibur to over sees? Was it when they changed to the new tilt head design?

If not to long ago and you like the Excalibur look for a used one of that time frame?

david minnery
10-26-2015, 2:21 AM
I have both the dewalt(type II) and an excaliber, the next size up from what you are looking at. I use them in a commercial shop - cutting 3/4" hardwoods - maple, cherry and walnut. My first dewalt broke and needed repairs at 1 year. Then I bought an excaliber, that lasted 5 months and general sent the replacement parts to me for free. In the meantime, I bought another 788 and that has been in the shop for a little over a year.
The 788 dampened vibration better and had a higher stroke setting.
The next one I get will be a hegner, but both of these previously mentioned machine have their merits. The dewalt can be had for a good price on sale, the excaliber was considerably more expensive. Both are worthy choices.

Robert Engel
10-26-2015, 7:43 AM
I have a type 1 788 I only bought it used off CL because it was a deal hard to turn down.
Plus they just don't come up very often for sale.
Ended up replacing a broken screw and added a foot pedal.
Probably needs an overhaul/bearings replaced, etc. but it works fine and I'm not a heavy user.

I like the table size.

Robert Parent
10-26-2015, 8:03 AM
I have a Hegner and have been very happy with it...... A scroll saw is one tool that you need to have a good machine if you expect good results. A cheapo machine will do nothing except collect dust and test your frustration level.

Robert

Jim Finn
10-26-2015, 9:08 AM
I had a DeWalt and it is a smooth running saw but it literally fell apart in less than two years. I now have Hegner saws and have had one since 2008. No problems with it. I found a used Hegner that was made in 1986 and it still runs fine. I can still get parts for that, almost thirty year old, saw. I cut 3/4" hard and soft woods. DeWalt may be fine for light work like fretwork but not for everyday heavy duty use. I have not used an Excalibur.

John Sincerbeaux
10-26-2015, 1:45 PM
Do you guys with Hegners find changing blades to be as easy as the dewalts?
Thanks

Jim Finn
10-26-2015, 2:11 PM
Do you guys with Hegners find changing blades to be as easy as the dewalts?
Thanks
With Hegners quick clamp on top it works just the same as DeWalt to move the blade from one hole to the next, (bottom feeding) TO install a new blade it does require a provided tool and is a bit slower to do. Takes some getting used to. If I was doing fretwork I would get an Excalibur but I do not do fretwork. I use my saws for doing double bevel inlay and making toys. Cutting 3/4" thick stock and no changing holes all the time like is required in doing fretwork.

Rich Riddle
10-26-2015, 9:06 PM
I looked into buying one some time ago and many members here talked me out of it. One local woodworker let me borrow his scroll saw. After about six months, I hardly had used it. It was a Hegner and quite nice. One year at Christmas we made decorations and used the Excalibur. Another person used the Dewalt. I would say the Excalibur worked best for a novice and then the Hegner slightly edged out the Dewalt. Some overseas machines function very well indeed. Good luck.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-27-2015, 12:21 AM
I've had an Excalibur for many years. I've even cut up 2x4's for a decorative gate with it. The original Dewalt made in Canada acquired a good reputation because it was built by Excalibur.

I doubt the overseas production is a problem. Amazon reviews still giv them a good standing.

ken masoumi
10-27-2015, 12:40 AM
I have a Dewalt( DW788-type II) and it's been working just fine for 4 years, I highly recommend it if the price is within your budget.