PDA

View Full Version : My first turning

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 3:26 PM
When I first joined the creek in my first post I asked about turning on a Metal lathe. Since I was new to woodturning I decided to give it a try. LOML got me a set of tools for my birthday so there was no excuse I simply had to give it a try. I fabricated a faceplate out of 3/4" scrap plywood. And gave it a try. It was easier then I thought. I Learned a lot along the way. I picked up a small blank from the local Rockler store for a couple of Bucks. Don't ask me what it is cuzz I forgot. It is about 3" dia and 1 1/4 high. I finished it natural with some deft just to bring out the gain.

Anyhow her it is my first turning. Your comments will be apreciated. Now I know I got a lot more to learn.

Keith Burns
08-29-2005, 4:32 PM
That is definately beter than my first which ended up in the garbage. It looks like you have conquered the basics. The main thing I see is that it looks like it could have used some more sanding. I start at 60 grit and work up to 600 grit. Keep it up and practice, practice, practice. Shucks, I've been practicing for years and still learn something every time I turn on the lathe. If you have a Turning Club close give them a visit.

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 4:46 PM
Thanks Keith, comming from you makes me feel better. Your right about the finish but I was in a hurry to get a coat of something on it so I could at least get pix up for a critique here. I also know that It could have been hollowed out a bit more. I started at 60 grit but stopped at 150 grit. I may chuck it up againg and give it some more sanding and a final finish. I need to find a local turning club and also think I'll order Bill's DVD. Right now the only source of information other then the "Creek" has been Richard Raffan's book "Turning Wood"

Dick Parr
08-29-2005, 5:20 PM
Don that is a great start. You said you have a Rockler, do you by chance have a Woodcraft. I ask because the rent a number of turning videos for $2 for 2 or 3 days. I would really recommend Bill's DVD as you noted, he will lead you from start to finish. And as Keith has already noted, practice as much as you can because every time you put a piece of wood onto the lathe, you will learn something. And you will find that it doesn't always have to be wood.

Most of all be safe and have fun.

Jack Savona
08-29-2005, 7:09 PM
Lookin' good! Congratulations. Your very first bowl was round. Mine was two (or three) arcs.

Jack

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I have a 4 1/2 inch square that 2 " thick block of tiger maple that I my try next or maybe I'll try a few more with some cheaper wood first.

I do know one thing and that is that I definitly got to go pick up that band saw to prepare my blanks. The piece in the picture was turned from the square block and that sure is the hard way to go...:eek: ..:o

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-29-2005, 8:01 PM
Funny you should talk about two and three piece bowls, Jack....................I still make them. It's magic what a little superglue and sanding can do!

Kidding aside, Don, That is probably a better effort than the picture shows. I hate to blame photography, but it looks like the photo isn't as clear as it might be. The second one appears to show a lot of grain definition with some distortion. I, sometimes, have trouble with pictures, myself, especially when I try to color correct and some of the other options available.

Keep at it...................it's gonna GET YA! HeHe.

Bruce

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 8:15 PM
Kidding aside, Don, That is probably a better effort than the picture shows. I hate to blame photography, but it looks like the photo isn't as clear as it might be. The second one appears to show a lot of grain definition with some distortion. I, sometimes, have trouble with pictures, myself, especially when I try to color correct and some of the other options available.
Bruce

Yes I wasn't entirely pleased with the pictures and the wood looks a lot better then my photo's shows. I did try to do some color correction. I'm gonna have to build one of those booths like John Hart built but one thing at a time.

Thanks for looking.

Kurt Aebi
08-30-2005, 7:40 AM
Good Job on your first bowl!

The lines are good and the shape is nice, all that is left is to practice.

Like anything else in woodworking, the more you do the better you get and the more you learn. Good job and keep on turning. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said other than to help encourage you to do more and share them with us.

As far as a light booth for photography goes, you don't need anything elaborate to take good pictures. Just get the lighting as neutral as possible by whatever means possible. Some of the "booths" people use for pen photography are nothing more than semi-transparent buckets with those halogen shop lights for lighting. Nose around the internet for ideas, most are rather inexpensive (like John Hart's) and easy to put together.

Good Work and Good Luck!

Jeff Sudmeier
08-30-2005, 8:55 AM
Don, great job on the first bowl! My first one was GASP! Pine :) I still use it though, a nice small parts bowl :)

Randy Meijer
08-30-2005, 3:46 PM
...I definitly got to go pick up that band saw to prepare my blanks. The piece in the picture was turned from the square block and that sure is the hard way to go...

Not a perfect solution, but knocking the corners of the blank off with a table saw will help a lot if you have one available!!! (Even using a hand saw on smaller blanks will help.)

John Hart
09-04-2005, 7:21 AM
I've been preoccupied for the past week and just now getting around to catching up...Nice to see that you got started Don!! Looks like your metal lathe is gonna work out just fine. Definitely better than my first...which was tiny little scraps on the floor.:eek: The Creek is by far my best resource for learning....not just for the diversity in experience..but also the diversity in style. I think you're in the right place!!:)