PDA

View Full Version : My new DeWalt MBF

Paul Schaefer
10-24-2015, 9:28 PM

First, thanks to everyone at the Creek who's answered my questions about the DeWalt MBF over the last few weeks. You were a great help!

I finally picked the saw up today. The rip pawl is missing (but I'm not going to use it for ripping) and it's going to need new motor bearings. But the arm ways seem clean, the carriage bearings all rotate freely, and all of the adjustments work. The original table is a bit abused, but still flat and salvageable. For $60, I'm very happy.

Soon as I have it cleaned up and in working order, I'll sell my Craftsman RAS and put this one on the Craftman's base.

John TenEyck
10-24-2015, 9:31 PM
That was a great deal for $60 Paul, even with the added cost of replacing the motor bearings.

John

Paul Schaefer
10-24-2015, 9:52 PM
Yeah, it makes me glad that I missed the one going for $50 a month ago. It was in rough shape, and would have been a longer-term project.

Any suggestions on what to use to clean it off with? I usually use Simple Green for general purpose cleaning and degreasing. It's effective and doesn't stink up the shop, but I'm a little leery of using a water based product on cast iron, even if the finish is largely intact

Bill Adamsen
10-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Very pretty little machine ... nice score!

Jim Davenport
10-25-2015, 9:30 AM
That's a very nice looking machine. Make a "Mr Sawdust table" for it, and you'll be happy as a clam.

John TenEyck
10-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Mineral spirits will take off most oils and a lot of dirt. That's usually all I use but sometimes I follow that up with Murphy's Oil Soap or Palmolive dish detergent on a sponge and wipe dry immediately. On bare metal I wipe it with a cloth dampened with WD-40 to put on a light water barrier.

John