PDA

View Full Version : Sawing rigid PU & other insulation panels?

ian maybury
10-24-2015, 9:25 PM
Just wondering if the typical polyurethane, polystyrene and extruded polystyrene/styrofoam insulation panels and also PVC cladding/facing can be cut to size on a panel saw. Wondering if they cut cleanly (is melting, crumbling etc an issue on any of these materials?), and does the dust pick up Ok in a dust system and not cause problems with cartridge filters? Damage to or blunting of blades? Stock universal or other?

Rich Engelhardt
10-24-2015, 10:12 PM
How thick?

I use either a utility knife or a Spyderco kitchen knife.

http://www.amazon.com/SPYDERCO-Kitchen-Utility-SpyderEdge-Knife/dp/B00J2X7F9U

Martin Wasner
10-24-2015, 10:44 PM
I've ripped 2" foam on a tablesaw, it worked awesome. No negatives that I can remember other than messy. You can chuck it through the blade as fast as you can push it.

Bill McNiel
10-25-2015, 2:45 PM
I've used my tablesaw, skillsaw and hand saws on foam with great success. Polystyrene tends to have the little expanded beads shed more than foam. You should have no issues with your panelsaw, Definitely no melting.

John Lankers
10-25-2015, 4:08 PM
Same here, on the table saw - if possible with good dust collection makes cutting it a dream.

ian maybury
10-25-2015, 4:55 PM
Thanks very much guys, what i was looking for. The foam will be 50mm, type not quite finalised. (cat houses) I need to make some reabte and mitre cuts. Great to ehar that it doesn't melt on to the blade and that a decent dust system catches the inevitable mess...