PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 895PK - concern

Bob Cooper
08-29-2005, 3:11 PM
I've got a couple routers but i don't have a lift nor do a have one with variable speed. So rather than buy a current (power) reducer for my 3HP makita and a lift i thought i'd consider a router with variable speed and above the table adjustments (being able to remove the bit + lift/micro-lift).

So, as you could have guessed, it looked like the PC 895PK would fit the bill. I got ready to buy it and started reading some reviews on amazon ... pretty negative. Below i'll quote some of them.

wobble, plastic screws, height changing during use... <-- that's scary. I'm worried i'll buy this thing and after a year i'll want to through it away. The only guys that gave it a good review on amazon were those that (i think) were fairly new users and/or haven't used it too much.

Thoughts? Is there someone else that has a router w/comparable features?

one review
I have had the PC 893 Router for over a year. the plunge mechanism is awful, it slips, and its not reliable. The depth control in fixed base mode is awful, it binds, then releases, moving a lot more han what you want. The last straw is that the speed control has suddenly started to go from 16,500 RPM to like 5000 RPM in the middle of a cut, or it starts at 5000 RPM, and doesnt get to speed. Turn it off, and on, then it works, until it decides to slow down. Reliability isnt visible here. I am in the market for a new router, and it will NOT BE a PC brand.
----
a second review
Wow. I am in shock. Zero stars would be a better option.

I picked up the Porter Cable 890 series router, specifically the 895pk, after reading a lot of good reviews. I really needed the 1/4" and 1/2" collets, variable speed, softstart, and 2-1/4hp. The above-table height adjustment reeked of convenience - no $300 lift or even $90 RouterRaizer to install. After ordering the PC890, I stumbled across a scathing review of it which pointed out several major problems, mainly:

1. lateral deflection in the plunge base
2. backlash in the fixed base height adjustment
3. low-grade bearings in the motor
4. motor windings not varnished

I got a bit concerned, but decided to hold off on forming an opinion until I'd actually used the router.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DCBKN/qid=1125341287/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6563425-0211960?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

Jack Norfleet
08-29-2005, 3:24 PM
I have an 890 series and can confirm the issues on the plunge mechanism. One of my first uses was to drill shelf pin holes in a bunch of panels. I ruined the first panel because the depth stop slipped allowing the hole to go all the way through. After that, I torqued the stop much tighter but it still slipped. I had to check the depth after every hole. It will take a time for me to trust the plunge base on that router.

As for the speed changes, I have not experienced any problems.

Dan Owen
08-29-2005, 3:47 PM
I bought the 895PK and couldn't return it fast enough with several of the mentioned problems. Fortunately, the store took it back and I purchased the Bosch 1617evs. No problems.

Mark Singer
08-29-2005, 3:58 PM
I used to have many PC routers and they made them cheaper and bearings went bad fast...The Bosch 1617 is a great pair! Smooth and well built

Ron Robinson
08-29-2005, 4:11 PM
I've had the 895 PK for about a year and have only used it in a table so I can't comment on the plunge base. The above the table adjustment is OK (not great), but I have already replaced the locking mechanism that holds the motor secure in the fixed base during use. (about $10 in parts)

The motor is fine so far and the VS has not been a problem. I am already looking at routers to replace it as I feel the time will be soon.

Ron

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2005, 4:15 PM
I would highly recommend the Bosch 1617 or the Dewalt DW618 PK, both are great routers.

Corey

Bob Cooper
08-29-2005, 4:48 PM
I should look but...do either the bosch or the Dewalt have the above the above the table features -- built in lift / change bit from on top of the table?

Steve Clardy
08-29-2005, 5:30 PM
All my routers are Porter Cable.
I have only one plunge base, and PC kinda didn't do their homework on it before they released it. It works, just have to pay attention to it.
And I never buy a router with speed control. I feel like thats just another something that will fail eventually. I don't use that big of bits that make it necessary to slow a router down. I use a shaper for those operations.
Steve

Joe Blankshain
08-29-2005, 5:43 PM
Dewalt or Festool (depending on budget) are the defacto selection of choice in my shop.

Tony Falotico
08-29-2005, 9:40 PM
I have the smaller PC router, plunge & fixed and it does OK. I do have my eye on the Bosch 2.25 HP plunge & Fixed and will have one in my shop as soon as Tool Budget = Tool Cost. That is unless the dewalt 618 comes on sale first !!

I also have the Woodpecker Precision Router Lift, YES it's lots of $$, but well worth the investment!

Rob Russell
08-29-2005, 9:52 PM
The Milwaukee 5616 is a 2.25 horse, soft start, variable speed router with above the table height adjustment. Milwaukee 5616 Kit (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=27&catalogId=40027&langId=-1&productId=284396&mainHeader=Tools&categoryId=189343&mainCategoryId=362&parentProd=281166).

Cost is $162 + shipping from Tool King - have one on the way now. Search on that auction site we can't reference for 5616-21 and look for a Buy-It-Now at $161.99.

Rob

Bob Yarbrough
08-29-2005, 9:59 PM
I've had the router in question since March. I find myself using my 30 year old craftsman more then the PC. The "auto" lock for the spindle when the PC is in a table is iffy. The height adjustment does not seem to smooth (IMO). The small screws that hold the track for adjusting height have come out and disappeared several times (even after using locktight!). The motor has been replaced once.

Bob Y.:(

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Bob, the Bosch 1617 and the Dewalt 618 are 2 1/4 HP routers. When you use the fixed base on those routers, the motors drop out easily for fairly fast bit changes, stick the motor back in. Neither can be adjusted from the top in their standard fixed bases.
Bosch does make a new base for the 1617 that allows for bit height adjustment from the top, whether or not you can change the bit from the top with that base, I do not know. I think it is fairly new, couldn't even find it on the Bosch website.
Hope this helps.

Corey

Bob Cooper
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
The Milwaukee 5616 is a 2.25 horse, soft start, variable speed router with above the table height adjustment. Milwaukee 5616 Kit (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=27&catalogId=40027&langId=-1&productId=284396&mainHeader=Tools&categoryId=189343&mainCategoryId=362&parentProd=281166).

Cost is $162 + shipping from Tool King - have one on the way now. Search on that auction site we can't reference for 5616-21 and look for a Buy-It-Now at $161.99.

Rob

Hmmm....that looks inviting. Good price and the featureset is nice. I've used Milwaukee's screw shooters, hammer drills and sawzall but never of their woodworking stuff. Anyone ever tried this unit? Rob, let us know how well it's made ... once you get it.

Jim Fancher
08-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I bought the 895PK and actually like it. The plunge isn't that smooth, but it gets the job done. I've found that you have to push down on both sides evenly or it'll bind. Do those neat Woodrat handles fit on this plunge? That might help.

I have a bent wrench for bit changes while it's in the table. That works great. Depressing the locking button can be a pain, especially if you have big fingers.

Bernie Schaner
08-31-2005, 9:55 AM
I purchased the 895 kit about 8 months ago. I like the unit in my router table. I did use Johnson's Paste Wax on the barrel and sleeve area and it now works smoothly. I used the table unit again yesterday and have had no problems with it.

I put a 690 in the plunge unit after coating the moving and sliding parts with paste wax and that set up seems to work quite well also.

So far I cannot fault this kit. It works for me.

Take care,
Bernie

Scott D Johnson
08-31-2005, 2:48 PM
I have the 893 and mainly use it in a table. I'm just a "hobbyist", but have not had any problems with screws coming loose, speed control or the motor. Sometimes sawdust does build up in the "channels" on the base where the pins from the motor housing slides in. That happens mainly when its in the table. I then need to use compressed air to get the base to move again. For the $179 I paid for it at Rockler, I think it's worth it. When using it out of the table with the plunge base, I agree the plunge mechanism does bind a bit if you apply uneven pressure. Paste wax seems to help it quite a bit.

Curt Harms
09-01-2005, 4:09 AM
I have the 893 and mainly use it in a table. I'm just a "hobbyist", but have not had any problems with screws coming loose, speed control or the motor. Sometimes sawdust does build up in the "channels" on the base where the pins from the motor housing slides in. That happens mainly when its in the table. I then need to use compressed air to get the base to move again. For the $179 I paid for it at Rockler, I think it's worth it. When using it out of the table with the plunge base, I agree the plunge mechanism does bind a bit if you apply uneven pressure. Paste wax seems to help it quite a bit.

Yup, lubeing the posts does help. I use a teflon spray I found at Lowes, same idea. You don't want something that dust will stick to.

markgoodall
09-01-2005, 7:48 AM
They don't build them like they used to.

I have a few of the Porter-Cable 690's (fixed, D-handle, plunge) including the single and variable speed models. I've had them for years and they made me a big PC fan.

But when PC came out with the 7529 and then the 8529 all we ever heard was horror stories about the power switch. Now with these even newer models we are hearing about more trouble.

I have 3 of the 7529/8529 that I bought for about $30/each (Lowes was getting rid of them), and they are okay, but if I was paying full price for a router these days, I'm not sure I'd be lookign at new Porter-Cables.

It seems they just don't build them like the used to. It's a shame.

Brad Townsend
09-01-2005, 8:31 AM
I have the 893 and would agree with most of the complaints, based on my experience. I have not had the problem with the plunge base depth changing, but the smoothness of the action could be a whole lot better. Based on reviews and comments, I plan on eventually getting a DW 618 for hand work and leaving the 893 in the table.

Bob Cooper
09-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I just checked the reviews of the Milwaukee on amazon and they seem pretty bad too. So i guess no one makes a rock solid router that's adjustable from the top of the table :(

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009LI4M/104-6563425-0211960?v=glance

Curt Harms
09-01-2005, 5:09 PM
They don't build them like they used to.

I have a few of the Porter-Cable 690's (fixed, D-handle, plunge) including the single and variable speed models. I've had them for years and they made me a big PC fan.

But when PC came out with the 7529 and then the 8529 all we ever heard was horror stories about the power switch. Now with these even newer models we are hearing about more trouble.

I have 3 of the 7529/8529 that I bought for about $30/each (Lowes was getting rid of them), and they are okay, but if I was paying full price for a router these days, I'm not sure I'd be lookign at new Porter-Cables.

It seems they just don't build them like the used to. It's a shame.

Mark, if you want to move one of those 8529's let me know. I'll be in Atlanta on the 13th :cool: The 8529 has a completely different switch setup, I believe. I bought one when H.D. blew 'em out for $99. The castings on the new combos are not well machined, and the spindle lock on the 89X fixed base is a joke, I could never get it to work right. I like the spindle lock setup on the Freud FT2000 personally. The Freud spindle lock works well under the table.

Curt

Tom Morrison
09-01-2005, 11:51 PM
The Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617evs kit (made by Bosch) is very nice...same as Bosch unit except the fixed base has above table adjustment. The same base is available for the Bosch, but you have to pay extra ($60 or so). Also the Craftsman has the aluminum motor housing...no corrosion. I think Bosch has the aluminum available now too, but you may have to specify when you buy. I also have the Dewalt DW618 kit, and they both are fine routers. I think I prefer the Craftsman for table use though, because I like the quick adjustment release. I have it mounted in my cast iron router wing on my TS, and I haven't gotten around to drilling the extra hole for the above table adjustment wrench yet.

Tom