PDA

View Full Version : went on a Road Trip today....uh..oh

steven c newman
10-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Looking for Friday morning yard sales......not a one was open....most were for Saturday, drat.

Shopped at an old lumberyard that had been turned into an Antique Store. Found a couple Liberty Bell jack planes....seen way too many days in a barn..and they wanted way too much for them...

Thing about this store....they have the "Showroom" where all the prices are too high. Then there is the "Barn" that used to be the wood storage for the lumberyard. IF you can find things in the barn BEFORE they get prepped for the showroom, prices are quite nicely .....LOW. Soooo, dug around a couple aisles of shelves, screwdrivers? Nah. Saws? Not the ones I'm looking for. Ah here's a few things. Took the three items to the front desk to pay for them...$10 plus 70 cents sales tax......sold.

Now what did I find for this high price?
An Eggbeater drill, a Mitre square (?) and a 1/4" wide chisel.
Chisel seems to be a stanley clone, maybe. Has some markings on the blade, none I can find on the socket. The Square merely has Made in USA on the blade. The wood is a brown colour, with a lot of black stripes in the grain. Does have some brass fittings I'll have to polish up. Now, about this eggbeater..
The cap on the end of the handle is intact, and there was a few "extras" inside the handle..
Thrre drill points. There is a Made in USA stamped on the crank. No other markings, as of yet. Not sure who made this, or what model it is. A spritz of WD40, and everything spins nicely.

Not too bad a day. Hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow, as there MIGHT just be a decent yard sale out there...

Jim Davis
10-24-2015, 12:11 AM
The "miter square" is a sliding bevel (sometimes with "square" added to the title). It looks like a Stanley, which would have had the Stanley name in gold letters in the groove on one side of the handle. It may be worn away by now. If it is a Stanley, the wood is probably rosewood.

Nice purchase.

Jim Davis

Bill Houghton
10-24-2015, 9:32 AM
I've owned several of those Stanley adjustable bevels, and have never seen the name on the handle. The blade should be stamped with the logo, though.

When you flip it over, what does the back side of the clamping screw look like? If you see what looks like the head of a carriage bolt (and if it is a Stanley), you'll find a hex shoulder that will allow for some adjustment of the placement of the clamping lever. If it's an older (still Stanley) bevel, you'll find an oddly shaped nut. This is a locking nut (technically, "deformed thread nut") that allows infinite adjustment of the handle's placement when clamped. Ideally, you want the clamping lever entirely within the width of the handle's body when it's clamped tight, so the lever doesn't interfere with the work.

Doug McKay
10-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Bill and Jim your both right, Stanley has made that style bevel from 1859 on. Bill is describing Stanley bevels made from 1857 to the 1960's, Jim is describing Stanley bevels made 1960's up! The groove down the center of the handle was a Stanley trademark.

steven c newman
10-24-2015, 1:39 PM
The head of the bolt looks like a carriage bolt. Have loosened the bolt ( to look at it) and rotated it enough to clear the lever...Brass ends are simple plates pinned in place, one on each side.

Waiting on the black dye to dry....then I can see who made the chisel.....might be a stanley.

The eggbeater seems to be by Stanley. The decal on the gear wheel is missing, though. need to tear it down and clean all the crud off.

Not too hateful, for $10 plus tax. My other sliding bevel has a black plastic instead of wood...90s Stanley, and it has a crack in it.

steven c newman
10-26-2015, 9:27 AM
Hmm, eggbeater MIGHT be a Stanley #1220??

Trying to find out more about it, and the three drill points in the handle..

Trying to get paint splatters off the handles.....#@#@@#@#! Painters!