PDA

View Full Version : Trotec lenses?

Jeffrey Dewing
10-23-2015, 8:47 PM
Hi folks! Its been a while since I've posted anything on here but I have a quick question. I just bought a 2.5 lens from Trotec, and the noticed they have them on Amizon for half or even less the money. I also notices they have a medium grade and premium grade. My question is what is the difference between Trotecs and these supposed knock offs, if any? Thanks, Jeff from Bellwether Laser LLC...

Dave Sheldrake
10-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Almost nothing in effect. Some of the lower grade ZnSe are badly made but the Chinese premium lens's are made in the same II-VI factory as the Trotec lens's.

Jeffrey Dewing
10-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the feed back Dave! Also it doesn't say anything about a focus tool with the lens. I suppose I would have to get that at Trotec?

Gary Hair
10-24-2015, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the feed back Dave! Also it doesn't say anything about a focus tool with the lens. I suppose I would have to get that at Trotec?
I just focus mine with the 1.5" tool I have and then change the lens selection to 2.5 in JCX and it makes the adjustment automatically.

Keith Winter
10-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Also curious where to buy additional focus tools...

Scott Shepherd
10-24-2015, 10:15 AM
There used to be a file floating around. It came with the disc that came with the machine and it was a Corel file of the focus tool that you could cut out yourself. I think Mike Null may have posted the file on here some time ago. It might show up in a search.

Jeffrey Dewing
10-24-2015, 11:42 PM
I just made a search for focus tools I could cut out, and didn't find one? If someone could send me in the right direction it would be appreciated? Thanks Saw Mill Creek... Jeff...

Jack Clague
10-25-2015, 6:31 AM
I assume that you have a trotec, if you know the Z figure for your machine at exactly the focus point you want you can manually move the table to exactly the right height in job control, or you can use the auto-focus settings but mine seem ****ed lol

Mike Null
10-25-2015, 7:57 AM
Here's the focus tool file that Trotec gave me.

Neville Stewart
10-25-2015, 10:33 AM
That would make most sense wouldn't it, or they would at least tell you to adjust your focus tool ( not practical ). That's why you get to option the lens in JCX. That did have me wondering Gary, I think you're correct.

Keith Winter
10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Does the curve of the lens go down in the holder when replacing?

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Curve goes up towards the head, the flat side parallel with the work.

Neville Stewart
10-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Just checked, the factory lens is set with the curvature and flange facing up, making it impossible to install backwards. Finally!!!

Keith Winter
10-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the info on lens direction.

Tip for setting optimal distance and making your own tool: You can do the focus test on the back of the red metal card that came with your Trotec to set the optimal distance. Use just enough power to mark the card. When the beam is most intense you are at the optimal focus point. Then just measure that distance and cut out a rectangle that size to make a measuring tool. However it's not as quick and easy to use as those metal Trotec focus tools for setting up jobs.

As for the metal focus tool that comes with the laser, anyone know who trotec sources them from?

Jeffrey Dewing
10-25-2015, 1:20 PM
Thanks Mike Null! That's just what I was looking for! Jeff...

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2015, 1:37 PM
Keith, since you make a lot of the same products, is there a reason you don't use the programmable Z?

Keith Winter
10-25-2015, 4:37 PM
Keith, since you make a lot of the same products, is there a reason you don't use the programmable Z?

Are you talking about the Z in the material settings? Or in another area of the program?

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2015, 6:13 PM
No, the programmable Z. You can pick your material and it'll focus to that material, automatically.

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2015, 6:20 PM
Keith, here's what I'm talking about. Put that value into the material thickness, then you can hit the middle icon in the smaller graphic I posted, or, if you want, you can select the one on the left. That one's a little more dangerous with different employees using the machine.

Keith Winter
10-25-2015, 6:28 PM
Keith, here's what I'm talking about. Put that value into the material thickness, then you can hit the middle icon in the smaller graphic I posted, or, if you want, you can select the one on the left. That one's a little more dangerous with different employees using the machine.

We never use auto focus too dangerous with multiple people switching out on the machines as you said. We also don't use the Z feature. It's not really helpful for us. We setup a material like say bamboo cutting board in Trotec then put the Z in a spreadsheet. Since all the cutting boards come in various thicknesses it would really muddy up job control to create a new material for all of them. Plus there is that risk of the wrong key being pressed you mentioned. We key in the Z from the spreadsheet then press the far right button. We use also the manual Z tool itself when setting up new materials, never auto focus there either. Allows more fine tuning.

Jack Clague
10-25-2015, 7:19 PM
We never use auto focus too dangerous with multiple people switching out on the machines as you said. We also don't use the Z feature. It's not really helpful for us. We setup a material like say bamboo cutting board in Trotec then put the Z in a spreadsheet. Since all the cutting boards come in various thicknesses it would really muddy up job control to create a new material for all of them. Plus there is that risk of the wrong key being pressed you mentioned. We key in the Z from the spreadsheet then press the far right button. We use also the manual Z tool itself when setting up new materials, never auto focus there either. Allows more fine tuning.

I agree that auto is risky with multiple users, I really like the 3rd option where you can re-position the laser head to exactly where you want it, I use that allot when I want to fine tune starting a piece as the buttons on the machine can only be pressed so lightly haha

Its also a great tool I think