PDA

View Full Version : what tools should be supplied?

Roddy Thibault
08-29-2005, 2:43 PM
IM starting a new job at a cabnet shop and was wondering what tools I should bring with me. I dont want to bring a lot of tools but I was told to bring my hand tools. what would you guys classify hand tools? what tools shopuld be supplied?

Alan Turner
08-29-2005, 2:58 PM
Great question. I have never worked in a cabinet shop, so I will be interested to see what those with experience recommend. Were it me, I would think in terms of measuring and marking tools as a beginning. I don't know how much one in a cabinet shop would use planes and chisels, but I can't imagine being without a paring chisel or two.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-29-2005, 3:20 PM
Does the shop have any suggestions? I know I would be hesitant to ask them, because the more tools you provide, the less they have to!!

Donnie Raines
08-29-2005, 3:54 PM
Make sure you have an insurance policy in place that can protect any tools you bring with you for buisness puposes. Most homeowners(renters, condo, manufactured home etc..) will only provide coverage for items of a non-buisness nature. If you are bringing expensive hand tools of any type, you will want to have coverage. Also, should you decide to buy an additonal policy, don't choose a higher deductible. That completly removes any benfit you may have in useing this policy(thus your throwing money away on the higher deductible policy).

John Renzetti
08-29-2005, 4:10 PM
Hi, My guess would be to bring some well sharpened chisels. Some marking and layout tools and a few planes such as a block and shoulder plane. If you do carving then some carving tools. There should be an area where you can secure these tools so that they don't mysteriously "walk" away.
Small hand held power tools is a grey area for working in a cabinet shop. I know that with some building contractors, the carpenters, frame and trim, are required to supply all of their own tools, including the powered ones. This is where you might have to ask or see what others have. You could always bring additional items and keep them in your vehicle in case they are actually included in what tools you are expected to bring.
take care,
John

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 5:09 PM
Rod,
I think it depends as to what you will be doing at the cabinate shop. My neighbors is an intaller and he has a whole Pick-up truck full including a CMS, hand planer, biscut joiner, Circular saw and well as a screw gun. He also have various squares, nail gun etc. One thing he did do that I like is he got a bottle of compressed CO2 to run his air tools. He gets it filled to 1000 lbs or so of pressure and says that it will last him several days running his nail gun. This way he dosn't need to carry a portable compressor.

Steve Clardy
08-29-2005, 5:22 PM
Tape
Squares
Pencils
Chisels [maybe]
I'd just throw a few tools in your box, show up, and probably within a week or so you'll figure out what you need.
Just depends on what you will be doing.

Steve Clardy
08-29-2005, 5:24 PM
Tape
Squares
Pencils
Chisels [maybe]
I'd just throw a few tools in your box, show up, and probably within a week or so you'll figure out what you need.
Just depends on what you will be doing.

If I hired a new one, all I would expect them to bring would be---
Pencils
Tape
GOOD safety glasses
Their favorite square.