PDA

View Full Version : Confirmat Screw Installation

John Hollaway
10-23-2015, 3:53 PM
I rarely use melamine covered particle board, but I've got a honey-do project for the wifey for which that material will be fine. So, I ordered some confirmat screws and the appropriate drill bit, and I'll be getting started soon. Question is, are confirmats best driven into the particle board edges with a drill/driver or an impact driver? I've seen both discussed. Thanks.

John

Jerome Stanek
10-23-2015, 4:17 PM
We use hundreds of them and drive them with a drill driver.

Gene Davis
10-23-2015, 5:50 PM
I've put together a lot of KD jobs using confirmats, always with an impact gun. Rat a tat tat.

Jeff Duncan
10-23-2015, 6:23 PM
I use the impact gun, it's just easier. Make sure you have the right driver bit as well!

good luck,
JeffD

Jim Dwight
10-23-2015, 7:56 PM
I don't remember what I used but I don't think it matters. Either will work. You wouldn't want to pound on them all day with an impact driver but with reasonable technique either would work. I'd probably use a drill driver so I could get the clutch set and not have to think too much about it. The consistency of the particle board would let you "set and forget" the clutch setting. I don't find that to be the case on real wood. I'd set it to pull the pieces up tight but not more than necessary to do that. I don't remember stripping one out but I'm sure it could be done.

John Hollaway
10-23-2015, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.

John

Peter Kelly
10-23-2015, 9:40 PM
Try one in a scrap piece first. Some are made from better steel than others. The softer (Deerwood) ones strip out pretty easily.