PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished SWMBO's bday present *PICS*

Greg Scott
08-29-2005, 11:48 AM
My wife finally received her b-day present it's only about three months late but she is still happy with the result. The wood is cypress and used extensive pocket hole joinery so I didn't have to use screws with plugs all over the place.

Keith Burns
08-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Man those look GREAT !! Did you use a plan, modify a plan or use your own design ?

Greg Scott
08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Keith,
No plan to speak of used some dimensions off of an old adirondack that was sitting around the house and made a prototype till I got the feel right. After that it was a matter of transfering measurments to the original and then copying after that.
Greg

Roy Wall
08-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Greg,

Those look terrific! Nice job - cypress is looking good!

I like that Kreg Jig too..........it's handy!!

Bob Marino
08-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Very nice. Will you top coat them?

Bob

Michael Stafford
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Those are quite nice, Greg. I like the concealed pocket hole screws connecting the slats to the back frame. How much penetration did you get with the screw tips? Good job! Would that look good on my deck or what? :p :D

Von Bickley
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Greg,
Great looking chairs. I'm a big fan of adirondack chairs and cypress. I can't walk past an adirondack chair without sitting in it to see how it feels. :)

Greg Scott
08-29-2005, 1:00 PM
Bob,
Yep used Penofin oil. If it keeps looking nice and I have to recoat every other year or so I'll probably keep it up. If it doesn't keep looking nice then it may just be allowed to turn grey and weather naturally.
Greg

Very nice. Will you top coat them?

Bob

Greg Scott
08-29-2005, 1:02 PM
Michael,
I'm guessing the penatration is about 1/2" or so. I used 1 1/4" screws which is what Kreg recommends for 3/4" material.
Greg

Those are quite nice, Greg. I like the concealed pocket hole screws connecting the slats to the back frame. How much penetration did you get with the screw tips? Good job! Would that look good on my deck or what? :p :D

Jim Becker
08-29-2005, 1:56 PM
Wow! I really like those chairs!

Mike Weaver
08-29-2005, 2:00 PM
Nice chairs!

...they are also on the "to do" list. For now, we have the plastic imitation chairs from True Value (he says, hanging his head in shame...).

-Mike

John Renzetti
08-29-2005, 2:05 PM
Hi Greg, Fantastic job on the chairs. That is quite a birthday present that will be cherished for years to come.
Good choice on the use of cyprus. Close by me is Kennett Square PA, the mushroom capital of the world. The mushroom beds inside the mushroom houses are framed in cyprus and packed with "mushroom soil." The cyprus will withstand all that humidity fungi and whatever else you find in "mushroom soil" for a very long time.
take care,
John

Wes Bischel
08-29-2005, 2:07 PM
Greg,
Beautiful chairs - well worth the wait I'm sure!

Wes

Mitchell Garnett
08-29-2005, 3:23 PM
awesome looking chairs - and I'm not a big Adirondack fan as a rule. if you decide to go into the business of selling plans, count me in for this one :-)

Dan Forman
08-29-2005, 3:33 PM
Excellent job, I'm sure that your wife is thrilled. Better late than never.

Dan

Greg Scott
08-29-2005, 3:39 PM
Mitchell,
I just may have to consider developing a formal plan to sell to recoop some of my costs!! :rolleyes:

I'm sure you've heard of Jakes chair maybe this one could be coined Greg's Chair ;)

Greg

awesome looking chairs - and I'm not a big Adirondack fan as a rule. if you decide to go into the business of selling plans, count me in for this one :-)

Vaughn McMillan
08-29-2005, 3:46 PM
Great job Greg. The set looks very nice.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
08-29-2005, 7:26 PM
Gorgeous looking set, Greg! I've been meaning to make one or two of them, but "other" things always seem to get in the way. Still looking for "the" set of plans for something comfy, but relatively easy to put together. Let us know if you do indeed formulate some plans for them!:) :cool:

Bobby Hicks
08-31-2005, 1:16 PM
Greg,

I really like the chairs. I like the look you got by using the pocket screws.

I've wanted to build a rocker version like yours. How do you go about figuring out the placement of the rocker?

Keel McDonald
08-31-2005, 1:44 PM
Bob,

Pocket holes are the best! Nice chairs!

Greg Scott
08-31-2005, 2:19 PM
Bobby,
It was just kind of a trial and error when I developed the prototype since I couldn't any plans.
Thanks for the kind words.
Greg

Greg,

I really like the chairs. I like the look you got by using the pocket screws.

I've wanted to build a rocker version like yours. How do you go about figuring out the placement of the rocker?

Brian Lindenlaub
08-31-2005, 2:34 PM
Some of the best looking Adirondacks I've seen. I'll bet they're as comfortable as they look.

Brian

Norman Hitt
08-31-2005, 7:26 PM
I have NEVER been a Fan of Adirondak Chairs, BUT.......I LOVE these Rockers. :) :) :)

Great job.

Michael Gabbay
08-31-2005, 7:59 PM
Greg - Definately worth the wait!

Mike