PDA

View Full Version : New Trotec Machine?

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2015, 6:02 PM
Many months ago I had a conversation with the President of Trotec USA and he asked me "Are you going to be at the SGIA show in Novemeber?". I told him I wasn't sure and asked why he asked. He said "I can't tell you, but if you can make it, you should try to go".

Today, I get the email from them about SGIA and these words rang out to me.....

"Trotec will be showcasing the Speedy 400 and SP 500 featuring JobControl Vision, the Speedy 360 flexx, and launching a new technology for high-volume paper cutting and engraving, as well as several other equipment from our product line. Contact us to schedule your training at the show. Come see live demos and samples at our booth."

Can't wait to see what that's all about :)

Keith Winter
10-22-2015, 6:19 PM
Sounds cool. Be sure to take a lot of photos and post them up here :)

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2015, 6:35 PM
Sounds cool. Be sure to take a lot of photos and post them up here :)

LOL. We're in the process of buying another piece of equipment. If we can wrap it up before the show, there will be no need to go to the show. If we can't, then we'll be going, so we can wrap up a deal while there.

Not sure what it is, but surely it's galvo based. Should be interesting. Maybe they are finally trying to bring the SpeedMarkers to the USA. I've been asking for one for about 3 years now.

Keith Winter
10-22-2015, 6:39 PM
Ahh I think I know what it is then... Gonna be very cool I think you will want to see it :D

You buying a new CO2 or other?

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2015, 7:04 PM
You buying a new CO2 or other?

Other :) :) :)

Chris Edens
10-22-2015, 8:31 PM
Can you clarify what you mean about the Speedmarkers not being available in the US?

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2015, 9:02 PM
Chris, I'm sure you could buy one if you wanted, but 3 years ago I started asking if I could see a demo of one. I've been to about 10-15 trade shows since then and have yet to ever see a Speedmarker in person. I've asked and asked about them and have been told it's not really a product that's pushed in the USA. I believe someone told me the main tech support for them was in Austria and they didn't even support them too much in the USA. That wasn't told to me by Trotec, but it was easy to believe since it's been so elusive over the years.

Jiten Patel
10-23-2015, 5:28 AM
I have the elusive Speekmarker and the support for it is terrible. All comes from Austria and for us is it now a redundant machine. Just sits collecting dust. Need to sell it really and free up the equity, but buyers are far and few between.

I was offered this new machine back in March. Quite an expensive bit of kit, but something we are thinking about getting as it is our bread and butter. They sent videos and specs, pretty impressive. I was asked to keep hush about it, so out of respect, I won't divulge too much info about the machine, but is it a game changer, probably not as there are machines that do what this machine does already. Think of it as an upgraded Speedmarker.

Jiten Patel
10-23-2015, 5:42 AM
I suppose it is common knowledge now as it is on youtube - here is the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejz6MID4lTo

Scott Shepherd
10-23-2015, 8:13 AM
I suppose it is common knowledge now as it is on youtube - here is the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejz6MID4lTo

Jit, do you think that's what it is? If so, I wonder why they'd say it's a secret, if they put the video up 9 months ago. Maybe it's something else?

Out of curiosity, why is the Speedmarker a redundant machine for you now? Are you doing all your paper cutting on something else?

Keith Winter
10-23-2015, 8:23 AM
That machine is impressive! Would be nice to see it in person. There is also another high production machine you might see, or might not, that's all I can say.

Would be nice to also see a 500 if they bring the whole wolf pack. :D I've never seen one in the wild, only in brochures.

Jit, also curious why your speed marker isn't getting use?

Jiten Patel
10-23-2015, 11:56 AM
The Speedmarker was in essence mis-sold to us. We were demo'd on a 100w Speedmarker running at 30% to "simulate" a 30w which we all know is not true. A 100w running at 30% is still putting out 100w, just 30% of the time. So we were wow'd and bought the 30w (in our naivety). It never performed anything near like what we had seen but we made do and made it work for us. Still an amazing machine. We used it for 2+ years and it paid for itself 20x over. We then got our 400 and the detail we could produce on this thing is incredible. We upped out game and now most of the designs and products we create just simply would not work on the speedmarker due to the spot size. Add to that, that we can lay-down a bed of material and leave it running with no manual intervention means we can concentrate on generating more business rather than a 1 by 1 basis of the speedmarker which needed an employee (or me in the beginning) to man it at all times.

When we first got the 400, we were running both machines, and as time went on, our clients just preferred the detail, therefore the Speedmarker got used less and less and now it is just taking up space. It's a shame as it's the machine that set-up our business and is in full working order. But I guess that's progression. Granted things take longer on the 400 but if people are willing to pay the price-tag, which they are, then why not. That is why the GS peaked our interest as it can be fitted with a conveyor system, has vision etc, so can be unmanned for the most part and can process things 4 or 5 times faster than the 400. Havn't been up to test the machine to see what level of detail it can produce, but I was told it is almost comparable. Considering it was around £60k ($90k), it is a big leap. We know the machine will pay itself in a year or two, but just havn't had the time to check it out.

So Scott if you need a 30w Speedmarker, let me know and I can ship it to you for a "small" admin fee :D

Kev Williams
10-23-2015, 2:24 PM
Until I can find a(n affordable) galvo that will do something bigger than a sq. foot....

Scott Shepherd
10-23-2015, 3:53 PM
Until I can find a(n affordable) galvo that will do something bigger than a sq. foot....

Unfortunately, I don't think the math works for that. You'd have to have a monster grind on a lens to make that happen. It's flattening the focal point out across the entire area, from a fixed point. You can't go but so far without the beam getting bigger, I don't think. I'm sure I'm messed up the reason, but that's what works in my head :)

Jacob John
10-23-2015, 8:00 PM
The Speedmarker looks awesome! I understand the reason why it requires a smaller working surface area, but for what it does, it looks like a phenomenal piece of hardware! Any idea what one runs?

Jiten Patel
10-24-2015, 6:18 AM
Keith, what you want is a 3 axis galvo. They have an additional mirror in the galvo head which gives up to 850mm x 850mm working area from memory. Not sure about spot size and detail.

Keith Winter
10-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Hi Jit,

So you replaced the Speedmarker with a 400 flex? Just trying to folllow this because most of the 400s I see are co2 here in the US, I don't think I've ever seen a 400 flex in person if that's what you switched to?

The Speedmarker was in essence mis-sold to us. We were demo'd on a 100w Speedmarker running at 30% to "simulate" a 30w which we all know is not true. A 100w running at 30% is still putting out 100w, just 30% of the time. So we were wow'd and bought the 30w (in our naivety). It never performed anything near like what we had seen but we made do and made it work for us. Still an amazing machine. We used it for 2+ years and it paid for itself 20x over. We then got our 400 and the detail we could produce on this thing is incredible. We upped out game and now most of the designs and products we create just simply would not work on the speedmarker due to the spot size. Add to that, that we can lay-down a bed of material and leave it running with no manual intervention means we can concentrate on generating more business rather than a 1 by 1 basis of the speedmarker which needed an employee (or me in the beginning) to man it at all times.

When we first got the 400, we were running both machines, and as time went on, our clients just preferred the detail, therefore the Speedmarker got used less and less and now it is just taking up space. It's a shame as it's the machine that set-up our business and is in full working order. But I guess that's progression. Granted things take longer on the 400 but if people are willing to pay the price-tag, which they are, then why not. That is why the GS peaked our interest as it can be fitted with a conveyor system, has vision etc, so can be unmanned for the most part and can process things 4 or 5 times faster than the 400. Havn't been up to test the machine to see what level of detail it can produce, but I was told it is almost comparable. Considering it was around £60k ($90k), it is a big leap. We know the machine will pay itself in a year or two, but just havn't had the time to check it out.

So Scott if you need a 30w Speedmarker, let me know and I can ship it to you for a "small" admin fee :D

Keith Winter
10-24-2015, 10:21 AM
The Speedmarker looks awesome! I understand the reason why it requires a smaller working surface area, but for what it does, it looks like a phenomenal piece of hardware! Any idea what one runs?

Hi Jacob,
The speedmarkers are fairly rare machines in the US, a lot of that stemming from price. Since the tech is newer and they have less competition on these, you pay a premium for it. The machines I suspect have a lot more margin in them than co2 lasers. They cost a lot more, and have a lot less parts... How much you pay is largely due to your negotiating skills and if you are able to catch a "show special" or other offer at the time of your purchase.

Jiten Patel
10-25-2015, 8:36 AM
No Keith, I have a 400 co2. The Speedmarker CL is a co2. The Speedmarker FL is the fibre unit.

Keith Winter
10-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense then 400 would be able to process a lot more as you said.

Jacob John
10-25-2015, 3:57 PM
These threads always make me want to pull the trigger on a Trotec Speedy 300, but the price is always hard for me to justify, at least right now in my businesses infancy. I love my Epilog, and it has served me well so far, especially for the price, but it's a small laser and definitely has some limitations that are starting to make me realize we need something bigger.

Dan Hintz
10-25-2015, 7:33 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think the math works for that. You'd have to have a monster grind on a lens to make that happen. It's flattening the focal point out across the entire area, from a fixed point. You can't go but so far without the beam getting bigger, I don't think. I'm sure I'm messed up the reason, but that's what works in my head :)

If I told you I've been spec'ing a system that would cover a LOT of area and keep a reasonable spot size, would you consider a group buy? ;)

Dave Sheldrake
10-25-2015, 8:29 PM

I had a 1,600mm x 1,600mm Fibre Galvo Scotty, it used a bed that moved to get the extra cutting area but it was expensive (VERY) I'm pretty sure somebody in China will be making them soon enough though.

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2015, 8:35 PM
Moving bed is cheating :) I suspect anything is possible for the right money. Right now, small spot size and large working area, and affordable seem to be elusive.

Bert Kemp
10-25-2015, 8:39 PM
Do we have to fly to Virgina to use it:D

If I told you I've been spec'ing a system that would cover a LOT of area and keep a reasonable spot size, would you consider a group buy? ;)