PDA

View Full Version : Jet 16" vs. "new" Grizzly 17" bandsaw

Joe Pack
06-09-2003, 2:35 AM
Thinking out loud again...

After side by side comparisons today, I "think" I have made up my mind to purchase a larger bandsaw than I originally intended. The price differential between the more powerful Jet and Delta 14" saws and the larger Jet and Grizzly saws is fairly small, considering I likely will never buy another one. Here are comparisons where differences are obvious.

Features: Motor - Jet: 1 1/2hp, Grizzly: 2hp; Wheels - Jet: cast iron, Grizzly: cast aluminum; Cutting Height - Jet: 10", Grizzly: 12"; Blade size - Jet: 123" odd size, Grizzly: 132"; Guides - Jet:Euro style, micro-adjust, Grizzly:Euro style, ball bearing, set-screw/thumb-screw; Table - Jet: standard tilt w/guage, Grizzly: micro-adjust; Quick-release detentioner - Jet: no, Grizzly: yes; Speeds - Jet: single, Grizzly: dual; Miter gauge - Jet: no, Grizzly: yes; Warranty - Jet: 2 years, Grizzly: 1 year Price differential delivered to my house - Jet@$860, Grizzly @ $825.

What do you think? Are any or all of these differences a "deal buster" or "deal maker?"

David Blangger
06-09-2003, 8:28 AM
Hi Joe,

I am more than likely going to get the 12'' *NEW*Grizzly with the riser kit.

This will allow me to make an additional purchase with the 300 bucks saved.

I am going to go to springfield and look at the machine in person though before I do.;)

David

Charles McKinley
06-09-2003, 9:29 AM
I'm almost positive the 16" jet wheels are aluminium also!

I feel you get more with the Griz. I just got the 18" Jet to get the $100 rebate with the purchase of the canister dust collector but got tired of being jerked around by Jet on the delivery date and found a used dust collector to hold me over until I build a cyclone.

I would buy the Griz. 17" if I had it to do over again!