PDA

View Full Version : the choice of a motor

Johnny Harmon
10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi guys!!

I need to power my table saw with a new motor.

I have a really many questions, becasue I just opened my small workshop.

Well, the motor I need should have these specs I think:1725 or 1800 RPM
Three Phase
Single HP
TEFC preferred

Which type of motor can you advice? thanks in advance! Have a nice day! :)

Erik Loza
10-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Johnny, what specific saw is this? What motor is in it right now? Also, are you sure you meant "three-phase, single HP"? That would not really be a TS motor.

Erik

Larry Browning
10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Are you looking for brand recommendations or more specific motor characteristics? Also, please describe your TS for us. 10"? 12"? What kind/size of material will you be cutting with it?
As Eric has already said, take a look at the motor you are replacing. Unless you have some unusual requirement, you should probably get something very close to the motor that was originally in the saw.

Oh, yeah, one other thing. Welcome to the Creek!

Johnny Harmon
10-26-2015, 5:28 AM
I'm going to upgrade the motor for my 14" Delta Bandsaw

as for the brands, my friend recommends me to take the baldor motor.

are you familiar with this brand?

I want to take totally enclosed motor, something like here https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/

John McClanahan
10-26-2015, 7:30 AM
Do you really want a 3 phase motor?

John

Larry Browning
10-26-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm going to upgrade the motor for my 14" Delta Bandsaw

as for the brands, my friend recommends me to take the baldor motor.

are you familiar with this brand?
I want to take totally enclosed motor, something like here https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/

Actually I work for Baldor, so I am a bit biased. But you really can't go wrong with a Baldor motor. If made in the USA is important to you, motors of the size you are looking at are made here in our factory in Fort Smith, Arkansas or in Westville, Oklahoma. In fact, every Baldor motor sold in the US is also made in the the US. We do have some factories overseas, but those motors are also sold to countries overseas.

The motor you show should work fine as long as 3ph is what you are looking for and the mounting and shaft configuration are correct. Once again, it would be best to go with a motor that is very similar to the motor that is currently on the saw. I definitely would not change the RPM. Check with your vendor to make sure it will work on your particular saw.

BTW, is this a band saw or a table saw? You said it was for a table saw in your original post.

Mike Henderson
10-26-2015, 12:07 PM
If this is a standard table saw, intended for a home workshop, the motor would probably be a 3450 RPM single phase, TEFC. The frame - that is, the way the motor is mounted and the shaft size - should be the same as what you previously had in the saw.

I would not go 3 phase for a home shop. You'll have to then add something to convert from single phase to 3 phase, such as a VFD.

Mike