PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Political Phone Calls

Rich Riddle
10-22-2015, 8:32 AM
I don't watch much television to say the least, so there is no problem with all the political ads on television. However, in Kentucky the politicians are calling our land line twenty times daily. The phone rings off the hook. I am not political and hang up no matter who calls. Isn't there some law against all the annoying calls? It's getting to the point where we don't even want to answer the phone. Is there any way to block them?

Rollie Meyers
10-22-2015, 9:08 AM
I don't watch much television to say the least, so there is no problem with all the political ads on television. However, in Kentucky the politicians are calling our land line twenty times daily. The phone rings off the hook. I am not political and hang up no matter who calls. Isn't there some law against all the annoying calls? It's getting to the point where we don't even want to answer the phone. Is there any way to block them?

Political calls are a loophole put in the "Do Not Call" registry, using a answering machine to screen calls, or as I do, waiting for 7-8 rings to answer.

I hate telemarketers, but am not going to curse at them either.:D

Dave Richards
10-22-2015, 9:23 AM
The trick is to get them to put you on their do not call list. Suck them in, ask them a lot of questions, and then explain to them in very nice but very, very wordy prose how their candidate and their party is not interested in the good of the people they get elected to serve but only serve their own interests. Take up a lot of their time. It doesn't matter which party. They're all the same. I did that a couple of times and word must have gotten around. I don't get those calls anymore.

I did a similar thing about 12 years ago with a couple of young men from a certain religious group. They stopped by one very hot and humid day while I was in my garage working on my sailboat. I invited them inside out of the sun but it was still in the upper 90s inside. They made the mistake of asking what I was building so I told them. And told them. And told them. I gave them all sorts of details. After about 20 minutes their white shirrts and black dress slacks were soaked through. They excused themselves and beat a hasty retreat. They must have put a mark on my house because I've never been visited by any others of their group since then. :D

charlie knighton
10-22-2015, 9:32 AM
the recordings are the worst.......usually there is a time lapse from the time you answer before the tape starts.......sometimes the tape does not start and there is just silence

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2015, 9:35 AM
I know all about political calls and fake polls (push polls). Living in NH, the first in the nation primary, the season really never ends. Within a few months after a presidential election the we get a new batch of clowns coming into the state to "confer", "test the waters", and a list of other euphemisms for starting their campaign. Right now we are fairly quiet with only about 7-10 calls per day. By December, a month before the primary, it will increase to between 15-20. In my house it is worse than normal since I'm registered Republican and my wife is registered Democrat. The real winners here in NH are the TV stations pocketbooks, the printing and direct mail houses, and the media generally. The rest of us just try and hang on waiting for the clowns to go away.

As for the do not call list, when the law was written political calls were specifically exempted. It was not an oversight. Would anyone expect anything different from our(sarcasm follows) respected Solons?

Kent Adams
10-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Rich, read what the FCC is trying to do about robocalls, not the political type, but all other types. This came out just today. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/fcc-hopes-to-shut-down-robocallers-by-publishing-numbers-weekly/

Rick Potter
10-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Wow, Dave.

I never thought of what it must be like in New Hampshire or Iowa during Politician season. My condolences.

We get the same 'no one is there' calls plus constant calls about solar and remodeling. We never answer before the third or fourth ring, and if we do, someone better answer back quickly. The typical call we answer goes like this......."Hello..(2 second wait)..goodbye".

Brian Tymchak
10-22-2015, 12:10 PM
.. The typical call we answer goes like this......."Hello..(2 second wait)..goodbye".

If I answer the phone at home, and that happens rarely, I do the same, except for the "goodbye" part...

Erik Loza
10-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Don't take this as a knock, but why not just get rid of the land line? We haven't had one for close to eight years and I don't miss it one bit. Very, very rarely get robo-called on my cell.

Erik

Steve Peterson
10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
We get the typical 10 or so robo calls per day to the landline. My wife or any other people I know don't seem to get any robo calls on their cell phones. Are mobile phone numbers different somehow? And is there a way to have a land line with a number on the "mobile" phone list?

We just screen all of our calls. If you want to actually get us to pick up the phone, you have to either start talking or have caller ID.

Steve

Bert Kemp
10-22-2015, 12:21 PM
2 things use an answering machine or dump the landline. I haven't had a landline in over 10 years, and I never ever answer my cell unless I know the number calling me. Problem solved .:D

Malcolm McLeod
10-22-2015, 1:21 PM
Just hang up...

Or if you're feelin' sassy, let 'em start, say "Sure, I need that...!", then set the phone down quietly and walk away. You can hang up next time by. No help to you, but by keeping the operator tied up, it is helping the next 2-3 saps on the list.:D

For some, it's a job, and it is just not worth me getting torqued-up about.
----
I loved Andy Rooney's idea to take your junk mail and return it, but swap all the business reply envelopes (Visa card application goes to Sears, Sears to AMEX, Time-share to AAA, etc.). Recipient's processing department is busy (and pays the postage) and the USPS needs the work! EVERBODY WINS!

Dan Hintz
10-22-2015, 1:53 PM
Or if you're feelin' sassy, let 'em start, say "Sure, I need that...!", then set the phone down quietly and walk away. You can hang up next time by. No help to you, but by keeping the operator tied up, it is helping the next 2-3 saps on the list.:D

But it doesn't help... if all operators are busy, the robodialer doesn't connect anyone, it just waits until an operator is free. If a dialed number is answered but no operators are free (ever heard nothing but silence?), the called number goes on the "call later" list. you may have helped the next 2-3 numbers on the list gain a few extra minutes of phone silence, but you haven't saved them completely.

Brian Henderson
10-22-2015, 2:11 PM
That was the straw that broke the camel's back and caused me to get rid of my landline entirely. I hate political calls. I used to tell everyone who called that their call was the reason I was not voting for their candidate, I refused to vote for anyone whose supporters insisted on harassing me.

Malcolm McLeod
10-22-2015, 2:21 PM
But it doesn't help... if all operators are busy, the robodialer doesn't connect anyone, it just waits until an operator is free. If a dialed number is answered but no operators are free (ever heard nothing but silence?), the called number goes on the "call later" list. you may have helped the next 2-3 numbers on the list gain a few extra minutes of phone silence, but you haven't saved them completely.

...I was unsuccessful in relating that you walk away after robo-system connects you to real human.

And sometimes it's OK not to take things so literally. Maybe the next 2-3 folks on list DO get called, but maybe they complete 2-3 less calls that day. Maybe.

Rich Riddle
10-22-2015, 2:41 PM
Don't take this as a knock, but why not just get rid of the land line? We haven't had one for close to eight years and I don't miss it one bit. Very, very rarely get robo-called on my cell.

Erik

Erik,

Short answer is I am old and stubborn. Long answer includes our alarm system being monitored via the land line and the inability of our cellular phones to work well on our property. The difference in cost between cellular alarm monitoring and land line is actually more than it cost to keep our land line. Go figure.

Chuck Wintle
10-22-2015, 4:04 PM

So do I. I also hate phone surveys, customer service, people selling stuff etc.

Eddie Watkins
10-22-2015, 4:06 PM
I made the mistake of contributing to a political candidate and now am inundated with calls. I usually don't answer it if there is no name on the caller ID. If it is a sales call I have on occasion talked to them until they hung up explaining that I have no intention to buy. I keep the landline because the security system uses it and it costs much less than an additional dedicated cellular line would cost. Also, I have a hook up to the landline that allows me to use it to answer calls from my front gate and the front door when somebody pushes the door bell. I also fax or receive faxes on my landline. Also, when I need to give somebody a number that I don't want to have my cell phone number I give them my landline # knowing I can screen the call. It's a shame that we have allowed these people to take the civility out of our society but they refuse to take no for an answer. I guess that is justifying being rude because they are rude.:(

Kent A Bathurst
10-22-2015, 4:24 PM
The sweet, sweet, taste of freedom of speech. Is this a great country or what?

No road is pot-hole free, and I like driving on this road, all things considered.

I am not sure that including political speech in the do not call registry would pass constitutional muster, to be honest. Well, then.... let it roll right thru the night.

There are some very, very annoying signs along that road, sometimes by groups I find despicable. But - hey - they don't think much of me either, so -- - carry on.

If Side A calls: "You cannot possibly lose my wife's vote, and you cannot possibly win mine. Therefore, no contributions from this household." If Side B calls: "You cannot possibly lose my vote, and you cannot possibly win my wife's. Therefore, no contributions from this household."

Not really true about me, but is is mos def true about LOML.

Dan Hintz
10-22-2015, 4:27 PM
I am not sure that including political speech in the do not call registry would pass constitutional muster, to be honest.

I see no reason why it wouldn't. You pay for the line, not the candidates... until that changes, there's nothing unconstitutional about saying "I don't want to receive unsolicited calls on a line I'm paying for."

Kent A Bathurst
10-22-2015, 4:44 PM
I see no reason why it wouldn't. You pay for the line, not the candidates... until that changes, there's nothing unconstitutional about saying "I don't want to receive unsolicited calls on a line I'm paying for."

Dan - I didn't think Citizen's United passed muster, but I was clearly wrong there, so I got no idea what is allowed or not - clearly I am not qualified to call the shots.

But then, I can stand on the public sidewalk right-of-way in front of your house waving signs and speaking my mind.

You could be right - I hope you are - I am a Card-Carrying Cynical Skeptic about this stuff anymore.......... That is a CCCS instead of my other allegiance as an SSSC.

Tony Zona
10-22-2015, 5:32 PM
Yes, political speech is protected, and thank goodness for that.

On the other hand, I don't have problems with political calls. After making a donation, I was getting a bunch of them. I kept saying no thanks.

One day, I talked to the guy and asked him to please remove me from the call list. We chatted. I said I know you don't want to make a negative impression, and if you keep calling me you probably will. Can you keeep me off the list? Yep, he said. I got another call the next day. I explained that I already told the guy yesterday to remove me. This guy apologized, and it has been quiet since then.

Now the foriegners that call with all sorts of offers. I looked up what the worst insult you can say to them, and I say it, I have gotten some spitting mad. One even called me back. And I insulted him again. Tough bananas, guy, you called me. I don't know whether it is related, but my calls have dropped dramatically, to almost nothing.

When I do get the calls now, I have a lot of fun. I figure they can't get me for making an obscene call because they are calling me, and they wouldn't report me anyhow.

Why do I insult them? Because they insult me by disrupting my quiet. I don't buy that they are just trying to make a living. I repeat an old observation of mine about the just making a living. Mob hit men are just trying to make a living. Do we feel the same about them?

The calls have been coming on my cell phone for quite a while. Many i just ignore, but sometimes I am up for a little sport. We chat for a while, take up a little time, then I take off the gloves. Try it. You might like it. :)

Brian Henderson
10-22-2015, 5:36 PM
Erik,

Short answer is I am old and stubborn. Long answer includes our alarm system being monitored via the land line and the inability of our cellular phones to work well on our property. The difference in cost between cellular alarm monitoring and land line is actually more than it cost to keep our land line. Go figure.

Just because you have your alarm connected to your land line doesn't mean you have to actually answer your land line phone, you know.

Brian Henderson
10-22-2015, 5:39 PM
Dan - I didn't think Citizen's United passed muster, but I was clearly wrong there, so I got no idea what is allowed or not - clearly I am not qualified to call the shots.

But then, I can stand on the public sidewalk right-of-way in front of your house waving signs and speaking my mind.

You could be right - I hope you are - I am a Card-Carrying Cynical Skeptic about this stuff anymore.......... That is a CCCS instead of my other allegiance as an SSSC.

Yes they can, but they can't stand on your lawn doing it. Once that phone line physically passes onto your property and into your house, it is your private property and they have no Constitutional right to access it if you do not want them to. If they want to stand on the sidewalk and shout through a bullhorn at you, they can, except hopefully they'll get arrested for violating noise statutes. But they need to keep the hell off your lawn.

Kent A Bathurst
10-22-2015, 6:02 PM
Then, does that mean the political exemption to do not call violates Constitutional protections?

Dan Hintz
10-22-2015, 8:24 PM
Then, does that mean the political exemption to do not call violates Constitutional protections?

No. The DNC was set up to limit telemarketing, which was not against the constitution, so any exemptions to it are also not against the constitution.

Rich Riddle
10-22-2015, 8:34 PM
I am pondering how one enable call-blocking with Cincinnati Bell land lines.

John Goodin
10-22-2015, 10:31 PM
I moved from Florida, a swing state where the political calls were nonstop, to Texas. We may get five political calls a election cycle now. It is the one benefit of living in a state where one party dominates the election cycle year in and year out but not a practical solution to your problem.

Brian Henderson
10-23-2015, 1:48 AM
No. The DNC was set up to limit telemarketing, which was not against the constitution, so any exemptions to it are also not against the constitution.

No, it's not, that's why I didn't say it was a violation to call, only that they don't have any kind of Constitutional protection to make their calls, like free speech. We, as consumers, ought to have as much right to stop any unwanted usage of our property, whether it is political speech or not, we just don't.

Ian Moone
10-23-2015, 3:33 AM
OK I am a bad person.

The Nigerian phone scammers are always ringing saying this is the tax office & you owe us money which if you pay right now into this account will avoid a large fine etc. They target my 83 year old mother... and they have amassed a great fortune from gullible elderly.

I got my Eldest son to play along on the other line.

We convinced them they had somehow rung some covert US Drone targeting operations center, lad & I shouting orders about a Satellite GPS fix on the traced call center, and drones aloft with sidewinder missiles - give me a targeting solution urgent - we had to take out a ISIS terrorist cell being funded from a Nigerian Call Center....

They never even hung up, just dropped the phone and all we could hear was screams and furniture / chairs falling over as people fled the building.

They never rung back go figure - I guess we are off their list now! :D

What can i say - de debbil made me do it.

roger wiegand
10-23-2015, 8:44 AM
Sign up for NoMoRobo! It will cut your unwanted calls by about 90%. It's free and it blocks political robocalls if you select that option. www.nomorobo.com

Curt Harms
10-23-2015, 8:51 AM
Just because you have your alarm connected to your land line doesn't mean you have to actually answer your land line phone, you know.

Right. If that's the only reason to have a land line, most phones sold in the last decade or more have a way to silence the ringer, or just don't have a phone plugged in. For political calls close to election day I tell live callers that I keep track of whose campaign workers are calling. Whoever calls last, I'm voting for the other candidate:D.

Rich Riddle
10-23-2015, 1:02 PM
Right. If that's the only reason to have a land line, most phones sold in the last decade or more have a way to silence the ringer, or just don't have a phone plugged in. For political calls close to election day I tell live callers that I keep track of whose campaign workers are calling. Whoever calls last, I'm voting for the other candidate:D.Phone sold in the last decade? Who buys those? I received a letter from the phone company telling me they planned on not servicing rotary dial phone service a few years ago. They still work. We have the old "Lucy" phones in our home as well as some art deco ones on the walls. Newest phone is about 60 years old. Man can they ring loud.

That remark about the last person calling might work. Will have to try it.

Roger Feeley
10-23-2015, 9:04 PM
Yes, political speech is protected, and thank goodness for that.
Now the foriegners that call with all sorts of offers. I looked up what the worst insult you can say to them, and I say it, I have gotten some spitting mad. One even called me back. And I insulted him again. Tough bananas, guy, you called me. I don't know whether it is related, but my calls have dropped dramatically, to almost nothing.

Hi Tony,
could you please post some guidance about those insults. Maybe I should keep a list by the phone.

Roger Feeley
10-23-2015, 9:05 PM
I'm moving from Kansas to Virginia. Kansas is in the bag for the GOP so I get very few calls once the primaries are over. But I understand that Virginia is a swing state. What should I expect.

Tony Zona
10-23-2015, 9:06 PM
Ohhh noooo, I could not get away with it here. Just identify who is calling you (from what country) and search the web. You will be rewarded with some pretty neat insults.

Rich Riddle
10-24-2015, 7:56 AM
I'm moving from Kansas to Virginia. Kansas is in the bag for the GOP so I get very few calls once the primaries are over. But I understand that Virginia is a swing state. What should I expect.I live between both states and lived exclusively in Virginia for a long time. Yes, you will get many phone calls. Virginia has a lovely tradition with campaign staff members traveling door-to-door to educate (pester) you in person. Even deep in the country they did door-to-door calls.

Mel Fulks
10-24-2015, 3:24 PM
The people who purchase the robo calls are smart enough to use our dislike to their advantage. One guy bragged on TV about buying time for his clients opponent ...calls were made in early morning. His guy won.