Engraver Type: Raster
System Input Power I: 120
Laser Manufacturer: Synrad
Laser Model Number: 48-2
Laser Rated Power: 25 watts
Laser Actual Power: unknown
Laser Cooling: air
Engraving Software: Raster

The tube fires! I did have some dead switches on the control board and replaced them last night. 3d printing new soft buttons in a few classes. I am having issues with the pc seeing the device. Following the protocol from the vendor I did everything but it doesn't pop up. Won't print/cut a job. The machine runs windows 7, 64 bit. Laser is connected via parallel cable/usb. The tech support guy in the building wants to try hooking it up via serial port. Could there be anything I'm looking over?

I'm not familiar with the machine past the 48-2 RF unit...anybody got any ideas?

cheers

D

Lee DeRaud
10-22-2015, 1:11 AM
That old, using a parallel port, I seriously doubt Win7/64 will work. It probably wants bidirectional parallel (which the USB-to-parallel widgets can't do, AFAIK), something like the driver Mach3 uses to talk to stepper controllers. Problem is, that driver is 32-bit only last time I checked.

You might have him contact ULS tech support directly, see if they have any legacy docs for it.

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2015, 8:06 AM
I agree with Lee, I think that old of a machine on W7 isn't going to happen too easily.

Dan Hintz
10-22-2015, 8:30 AM
Not only the above comments, but USB wasn't available until the late-90's... putting that into the mix on a machine that was manufactured in '95 (and obviously doesn't have USB) is adding unnecessary trouble.

Mike Null
10-22-2015, 8:43 AM
I agree. I had a '97 model with a parallel cable and used a Win 98 operating system as I recall.

Julian Ashcroft
10-22-2015, 10:46 AM
My old Roland engraving machine runs on a parallel port, USB to parallel lead just wouldn't work. Had to get a parallel card to fit to the motherboard of the computer and then install a fresh version of Windows 7/32.

Dave Sheldrake
10-22-2015, 5:56 PM
Cheers Fellas :) much appreciated :)

Kev Williams
10-23-2015, 12:33 AM
The machine in question is similar to mine, but according to these user instructions, not quite the same...

http://www.hltlasers.com/reference/25-50PSRevisionB1.pdf

The machine looks a bit different, and the driver is quite a bit different than minie...

That all said, mine's a 1997 and my Win7 64bit Enterprise up in the garage will run it thru my network. Not sure why exactly, since I had 2 Win7 64bit Pro's that wouldn't load the driver for love nor money...

Get a computer with WinXP and it should work fine...

Here's mine -- this is the machine Gary's GCC is replacing- not a thing wrong with it after 18 years, I just need faster & more features. My BIL will finish wearing it out on cedar boxes. :)

Lee DeRaud
10-23-2015, 1:35 AM
That all said, mine's a 1997 and my Win7 64bit Enterprise up in the garage will run it thru my network. Not sure why exactly, since I had 2 Win7 64bit Pro's that wouldn't load the driver for love nor money...You mean there's a 32-bit XP(?) machine that actually talks to the ULS and you're running Corel or whatever on the Win7/64 and sending print jobs over the network, right? The idea of a 1997-vintage laser with a network interface makes my head hurt.

Bill George
10-23-2015, 8:11 AM
FYI I have a Lenovo Thinkpad I am going to list over in the Classifieds that runs Corel X6 just fine and with a parallel port. Ran my ULS laser off it before I updated and found a USB to Parallel adapter that worked!