PDA

View Full Version : Wet grinder wheel dressing

William Flather
10-21-2015, 6:02 PM
I just purchased a the Grizzly knock-off of the Tormek sharpening system. I did not buy the "accessory kit #2" with the jig for gouges which includes a wheel dressing stone.

Instructions state that you can use this stone to change the grit of the stone to coarse for rough sharpening, then using the other side of the stone, dress the stone to a fine grit for a finish edge.

My question is: what sort of stone is this, and can I just purchase a standard double grit carborundum stone to do the same thing?

John Aperahama
10-21-2015, 6:39 PM
Bite the bullet and buy the Tormek diamond truing attachment this will true the stone perfectly round the grizzly stone is only to dress the wheel and expose new grit either coarse or fine.

William Flather
10-21-2015, 7:43 PM
John, I think these are two separate issues: the Tormek diamond truing attachment would true the wheel and flatten it. and yup, I'll probably need to shell out for that at some point.

What I am wondering about is this: In the documentation I can find (Youtube and elsewhere) the techs refer to using the course side of this stone to dress the wheel to a course surface for fast dressing of a blade, then flipping the stone over and using it to dress the wheel to a fine surface for the finish edge. What exactly is this stone, and can I substitute something else for the one that comes with the $70 "kit"?

This appears to be the "stone grader" I am referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-SP-650-Stone-Grader/dp/B0013NCM9K

John Aperahama
10-21-2015, 8:03 PM
As i recall it is just a considerably coarser carborundum stone I think I have one at the shop will have a look for you.

william watts
10-21-2015, 10:04 PM
I have an older Tormek and the grading stone that came with it is just a 2 grit carborundum stone. I don't know what the grit size is, but even the medium grit looks coarse and the coarse side looks very coarse. It does do the job it supposed to.

William Flather
10-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Hmm, so maybe I really do need to buy the stone made for the job, not just a hardware store variety two-grit carborundum sharpening stone.