PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Adaptations for the vertically endowed.

Joe Beaulieu
10-21-2015, 5:59 PM
All of us have to be some height - I just never seemed to stop growing. I hit 6' 10" tall before I stopped, and my poor mother kept trying to lengthen my pants to no avail. I wore a lot of high waters in my day. So I kind of have forced myself to adapt to most things, cars, airplanes (god, I hate airplanes) rest rooms, etc. Yes I can see in all the stalls, but I absolutely don't look. That is an eye to eye moment you never forget.

I bought a Diefenbach traditional bench several years ago - about 15 years ago. I love the bench (although the Roubo split bench plans are absolutely calling to me) but it is way too low. So when I first got it I built a very heavy, non-mobile base for the bench that raises it up about 8 inches. Its made of dimensional 2 by lumber and is heavier than ...well...me! I am a tad large, as you may have figured out. That gets the bench surface to a much more reasonable height. However when I need to do detail work, I am still bending way over, and my back hasn't been happy for many many years. So my question is - are there any similar guys woodworking out there that may have done something to bring the work up? I know a Moxon vise would help, but I am looking for something more like the Noden AdjustaBench system. Has anyone got one of these, and are they a benefit, or do they add instability? I can't help but think they aren't as sturdy as the base of my bench is now. But I am hoping I am wrong - and I am wondering if this might be a good situation for me.

If this is a bad idea, for whatever reason, then I would love to hear from anyone who has insight to this issue. There has to be a number of above average height woodworkers out there, and I am guessing by the preponderance of guys over 6' 10 inches tall in the NBA that there might even be a few of my species out there. Let me know if you have done anything that is working for you.

This is a great resource. I really appreciate all the help folks. I promise I will stop browsing and start woodworking soon!

Joe

Phil Stone
10-21-2015, 7:15 PM
I bought a Diefenbach traditional bench several years ago - about 15 years ago. I love the bench (although the Roubo split bench plans are absolutely calling to me) but it is way too low. So when I first got it I built a very heavy, non-mobile base for the bench that raises it up about 8 inches. Its made of dimensional 2 by lumber and is heavier than ...well...me! I am a tad large, as you may have figured out. That gets the bench surface to a much more reasonable height. However when I need to do detail work, I am still bending way over, and my back hasn't been happy for many many years. So my question is - are there any similar guys woodworking out there that may have done something to bring the work up? I know a Moxon vise would help, but I am looking for something more like the Noden AdjustaBench system. Has anyone got one of these, and are they a benefit, or do they add instability? I can't help but think they aren't as sturdy as the base of my bench is now. But I am hoping I am wrong - and I am wondering if this might be a good situation for me.
Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm only 6'4", but that's enough to keep standard benches from fitting me. I built my own Roubo to be the height of my wrist with my arm hanging down, and find this a very good height for hand planing and sawing. You're right about it being too low for detail work, though, which is why I plan to make a benchtop bench like this at some point: http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/article/a-benchtop-bench.aspx
(http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/article/a-benchtop-bench.aspx)

Warren Mickley
10-21-2015, 7:38 PM
My guess is that you are trying to work too close to your nose. Here is a drawing from Roubo, 18th century, showing a guy mortising the wood close to waist level. Notice the posture.
Here is a guy with a chisel in a recent class, much more cramped with the mallet, though good posture.
Here is a guy in the same class, cramped sawing, painful posture. Sawing close to waist level is much easier on the body.
Another, contrast this with the Roubo engraving above.
I don't know any of the guys pictured, but I could have just as easily shown well known guys with these awkward postures. I think it possible that working farther away from your face would help your back problem, Joe.

glenn bradley
10-21-2015, 7:57 PM
Sort of like Phil, I built my bench to a bit above my wrist as I have longer arms than most folks my height. For close work I use this:

323771 . 323772 . 323773323774 . 323775 . 323776

I keep it on the bench except when I need the room.

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Well Joe, while you are 13" taller than me, there is a simple answer in addition to Warren's comments which are right on the money. If it is just detail work......sit. I will often sit at my bench when doing small detail work and I'll even do it when producing small turnings on my lathe. I use either my saw bench as a seat or a really beaten up old tall stool with the legs cut down to a comfortable height for me. I will also use a bench on bench when I choose to stand. It's great for carving.

Curt Putnam
10-22-2015, 7:18 PM
I used to be 6'4" but have since shrunk to 6'1.5". Neck on down to butt x-rays show severe degradation - which means everything hurts. I have a bench (my parts & piling bench) at 42" which is reasonably comfortable for taking things apart and putting back together but too high for hand planing. As other folks have said sitting helps me a lot - especially with DT sawing and chopping. A bench on bench and Moxon vice are in my near future. I'll bet you can't stand to work at a kitchen counter because they are all 36". That's a method you can extrapolate to where you need to be. FWIW & YMWV

Joe Beaulieu
10-22-2015, 8:57 PM
Hey Folks,

I have been sitting to do some of the static , time intensive stuff like plane blade lapping and bevel reconstruction and a lot of other stuff that makes you stand in one place. That is a death knell, as I am sure anyone with back issues can attest. I have mats that help, and obviously shoes that help, but standing in one place will cut any session short for me. I try to keep moving. However I have been trying to saw and pare sitting, which will take some getting used to, but not so bad.

I very much like the bench on bench concept. I think that may be a serious option. Also making it would be a fun precursor to building a Roubo bench at some point. Maybe a "Mini Roubo" - that is a nice Idea - without the leg vise (wouldn't find that hardware anywhere) , but with the tool insert/planning stop. I am getting excited about that.

Thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated. I hope I can return the favor some day. I am a fairly good network/OS/virtualization guy. If you need personal computer help, zip me a PM. Always glad to return a favor.

Joe

James Pallas
10-22-2015, 9:33 PM
Hi Joe, I have a Noden bench. I couldn't and not be happier. It has kept me in the game. I have back issues such that I can't bend much at all. I still do some planing but no heavy stuff and most of it has to be straight away from me. For what I do I find the bench to be more then adequate. I think the bench may be a little light in weight for heavy jack planing. I find for all else it is okay. It is nice to be able to sit with the bench lowered and raise it up for sawing dovetails and such standing straight up. My back is a real mess and includes a spinal cord stimulator to keep me going with electrons. Take a look at Nodens site, he has some pictures of benches with heavy tops like Roubo's that would help with the weight. I have no connection with Noden other then buying the bench from him. He's a nice guy and was very helpful.
Jim

Reinis Kanders
10-22-2015, 11:06 PM
I am above 6'5" , but do not have any back issues or anything like that and I always stand when doing stuff. My main bench is 39" and another bench around 45" I use both and prefer 39" for planing and most chisel work. 45" is nice for detail work. I also sometimes put stuff in mechanic's vise and that can be very helpful for detail work or saw sharpening.
While ago I started chiseling like in Warren's post and it works well for me, but it definitely requires good vision and I started using safety glasses that have bifocals.
One has to take in account that edge jointing can lift work piece quite above the bench height so for me 39" is max that I like for serious planing.
I prefer workmate for crosscut sawing when braking down stock, it is better height for me than sawbench and I am tall enough to be able to lean on the stock.

Mike Holbrook
10-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes I have an Adjust A Bench (AAB). So far I have not built my bench with it though as I have been vacillating on whether to just build two benches or one. I bought the AAB thinking I would make a lighter bench with Festool top to use as an out feed & work table. My problem with the AAB as my "heavy" bench is I want a leg vise on the heavy bench. So far I have not found anyone who has put a leg vise on a AAB and I have talked to Geoffrey Noden and Jameel Abraham (at Benchcrafted, who makes the leg vise I want to use). Jameel had a suggestion of how to do it that I am working on.

Certainly sturdiness is an issue in any bench particularly if one wants to use planes at the bench and who doesn't. My base is actually on casters too. The casters that come on the AAB wheel sets are sturdy and lock up well. Some guys are happy planing using just the locking casters. It is also possible to drill & thread holes inside the wheels in the angle iron base. Some guys have placed additional adjustable feet in threaded holes to lend additional steadiness when planing. The leg vise design I am considering will attach to the top & move up & down with the top. If I do it I may incorporate some sort of additional adjustable support on the left side where the leg vise will reside. The other obvious option is to build the leg vise support to rest on the floor at the lowest level, which just restricts how low the bench can adjust.

The AAB is a very adaptable devise if one is willing to do a little extra work to obtain the additional utility.