PDA

View Full Version : Henry Allan & Sons

Clay Parrish
10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
I came across a saw maker that I was unfamiliar with - Henry Allan & Sons. I can't find much about them online, except, I think they may be from London. Can anyone tell me more about them and the quality of their saws?

Mike Allen1010
10-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Backsaw.net has one of the most extensive databases of English saw makers I'm familiar with, and they didn't have anything listed for Henry Allan. Sorry that's not much help– if you have a picture that that's always helpful. Maybe somebody here will have some Intel.

Rob Paul
10-21-2015, 2:20 PM
I've never seen one of their saws, but "Handsaw Makers of Britain" lists them at 30 & 31 Clerkenwell Green, London EC, 1914-1915

Clay Parrish
10-21-2015, 2:21 PM
I don't have the saw in hand yet, but it's a 12" x 3 3/8", 14ppi cross cut. There's an etch, but it's pretty faint. The best I can make out from the image is that the top line arcs across saying HENRY ALLAN & SONS and the bottom line is straight across *****NWELL GRE?***

EDIT: Rob Paul posted while I was writing. Ok, so the bottom must read "CLERKENWELL GREEN". Any additional info on the makers would be appreciated and enjoyed.

I was sort of wanting to get one in need of a restoration and do it myself, but my birthday was coming up and my wife let me splurge a little.

Clay Parrish
10-21-2015, 4:03 PM
Though I make no claims to being a historian, I very much enjoy learning more about the history of vintage and antique tools. Adding the term 'Clerkenwell Green' to my searches brought up some additional material that others might find of interest.

Here are photos of the location where Henry Allan & Sons made this saw. The

Nos 29–31 Clerkenwell Green in 2006 (Allan's shop was the building on the right.

No. 32 Clerkenwell Green in 1958. You can see the 'AN & SONs' from Allan and Sons on the left-hand building.

If you zoom in, I think you can make out some planes in the bottom right of the window.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol46/pp86-114

Nos 30–31 were erected in 1911–12 by Gordon & Sons of Kilburn as a new shop, workshop and dwelling for Henry Bogie Allan, saw manufacturer. Allan had been in business at No. 33 since 1887. At the time of the redevelopment, he owned not only the freeholds of Nos 30–31, but also the freehold to No. 32 and a leasehold interest in No. 33 and No. 6 Steward's Place, adjoining. The new building at Nos 30–31, with its asymmetrical, architecturally progressive façade and good-quality stone detailing (Ills 119, 120), was designed by Richard Reginald Barnett of Wimbledon, at that time a temporary architectural assistant at the Ministry of Works; he had previously worked under W. E. Riley in the LCC Architect's Department.

The site—formerly occupied by eighteenth-century houses, shops and workshops—was a long one, stretching back beyond Warden's Place (Ills 90, 99). Above the shop was a showroom and manager's office, with the family's living accommodation on the two upper floors. Behind this front building was the long, single-storey, top-lit main workshop, where the grindstone and forge were situated, and at the back of the site was another workshop, of two storeys. The family also had the use of a second parlour and living-room on the third floor of No. 32.

Allan died in 1933, but the firm of H. Allan & Sons remained in business here until the late 1970s. The original shopfront was removed and replaced shortly afterwards as part of an office conversion.

Clay Parrish
10-24-2015, 9:11 PM
The saw arrived here today, but unfortunately, it will be going back, I think. It is actually a lovely saw, but my hand is just a bit too large for the tote, and it rubs the web of my hand which will lead to blisters. Not that I'm opposed to honest blisters, mind you, but it's just not a correct fit.

Anyway, I did take a photograph of the etch, which I'll attach here for those who are interested.

It reads:
HENRY ALLAN & SONS
CLERKENWELL GREEN, E.C.L.
WARRANTED CAST STEEL