PDA

View Full Version : Shop floors

Bob Marino
08-29-2005, 9:42 AM
I am also thinking of adding those rubber interlocking squares for the cement floor rather than epoxy. But what happens if some water/melting snow gets underneath the squares - do you have an almost always wet cement slab?

Bob

Ken Garlock
08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Bob, I would definitely seal the concrete before doing anything else. You don't want an ongoing source of dampness.

If your concrete is 30 to 60 days old, jump in your truck and go to your local Sherwin-Williams store. Purchase their Tile-Clad II expoy paint, and put two coats on your concrete. Then you don't care about snow, etc., getting under the mats. Actually, I would just use area mats for foot comfort, it will make the cleaning up of dust and chips easier IMO.

Bob Marino
08-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Bob, I would definitely seal the concrete before doing anything else. You don't want an ongoing source of dampness.

If your concrete is 30 to 60 days old, jump in your truck and go to your local Sherwin-Williams store. Purchase their Tile-Clad II expoy paint, and put two coats on your concrete. Then you don't care about snow, etc., getting under the mats. Actually, I would just use area mats for foot comfort, it will make the cleaning up of dust and chips easier IMO.

The floor is dry - no dampness, but does this product require using muriatic acid or something similar to etch the concrete?

Bob

larry merlau
08-29-2005, 10:33 AM
The floor is dry - no dampness, but does this product require using muriatic acid or something similar to etch the concrete?

Bob
bob, normally concrete sealing on new concrete. doesnt need to be etched. and the mats and water? well i am in the snow belt have them on my floor and dont have trouble with that. the heat in your shop will dry out what happens in on yur shoes.

Ken Garlock
08-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Bob

Yes Bob, my shop was new as was our garages, having been built that summer prior to painting in the late fall. The painters did what they called an acid wash, and they let that dry for at least a day. It is my guess that the acid wash neutralizes the ph of the concrete in addition to etching it for the paint to grab on. The paint store can give you guidance no doubt.

John Renzetti
08-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Bob, Take a look at that stuff called Dri-Core. Apparently from one guy I know who used it in his shop, it works and is pretty strong. It will save you from having to put down sleepers on the concrete. And if the time comes and you move, your shop will be able to be turned back into a garage a lot easier.
take care,
John