PDA

View Full Version : Who's Ready for Winter?

Rich Riddle
10-21-2015, 6:55 AM
Who is the Creek has prepared for winter? I sent the snow blower in for service and have the blade attachment ready for the DR Mower. What have you done to greet Old Man Winter?

George Bokros
10-21-2015, 8:11 AM
Snow blower has had its oil changed and started so it is ready but I am never ready for winter.

Malcolm McLeod
10-21-2015, 8:22 AM
I briefly considered turning the A/C off. Does that count?

Chuck Wintle
10-21-2015, 8:43 AM
I am never ready for winter yet...its a necessity to have the car, snowblower ready to go.

Al Launier
10-21-2015, 8:53 AM
Had a whole house 20KW generator installed.
Tuned & lubricated the snow blower.
Covered the window A/C units & insulated those windows.
Called the snow plow guy.
Emptied the outside flower pots.
Broke out the snowshoes.
Can't wait for spring!!!!!

Dick Latshaw
10-21-2015, 8:54 AM
Glad you reminded me. I'll have to look through the chest of drawers for my heavier T-shirts and shorts.

(What is this "snow blower" thing? I thought snow blew on its own.):cool:

Brian Elfert
10-21-2015, 9:10 AM
I am way behind on winter prep. I am still dealing with fall chores. I can't take the mowing deck off the rider until I am done with leaf cleanup. Last year we got blasted with snow on like Nov 6th. For a number of years a real snow storm hasn't hit until about December 1st.

ken masoumi
10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
My snowblower is already tuned and lubricated for the coming winter, All I have to do is add gas.
I still have to cover the small fishing boat and the canoe. change the tires on my car and put on the snow tires.
The problem with winter is, it lasts too long.

Mike Henderson
10-21-2015, 11:00 AM
I briefly considered turning the A/C off. Does that count?

LOL, that's about the way it is here. Our winters are wonderful.

Mike

Malcolm McLeod
10-21-2015, 11:21 AM
The problem with winter is, it lasts too long.

North Texas has the EXACT same issue. Sometimes it lasts all day.

Mike Heidrick
10-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Pex in the floor in shed is filled and heated. Already more ready than last year.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I am doing some finishing work and the nights have gone down into the 40's so I turned on the shop furnace on last week.

The sprinkler company arrives Friday to blow out the sprinkler system.

Later this afternoon when the temperatures rise a little, I will put the 2nd coat of paint on the basement window exterior trim.

We don't get enough snow here to warrant a snowblower.

daryl moses
10-21-2015, 12:00 PM
I have enough firewood cut split and stacked to last for two years. I'll start cutting more firewood this Spring for the 2017 season. I do plan to purchase a hydraulic splitter, i'm getting too old to split those 20"+ diameter pieces of Sweetgum and Hickory by hand.

Rich Riddle
10-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Ken,

I thought Idaho had lots of snow, and I don't adhere to your logic. The word "enough" proves highly subjective. With that flawed way of thinking many of my tools would not be in the fold. After all, do we all really cut "enough" wood to justify more than one band saw or table saw?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Rich...parts of Idaho do get a LOT of snow. We live in north central Idaho at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. As such we live in the bottom of a canyon. Mainstreet's elevation is 750' above sea level and where I live is 1400' above sea level. You climb between 2000-2700 feet in elevation any way you leave town though some routes are more steep and a quicker climb than others. The song "Hot Rod Lincoln" was written by a Spokane musician as he chased a band member up the Lewiston Hill en route home one evening after playing a gig here. On that same hill, I have come off it at 1:00 a.m. with 3' of snow at the top and dry road with bare ground when I got to town at the bottom of the canyon. There are winters here in the valley where we don't see any snow. Last year IIRC, we had about 3/4" of snow once. It's hard for me to justify a snow blower. Woodworking tools are a different matter, however!:D

Peter Kelly
10-21-2015, 1:00 PM
Been ready for winter since April. Hoping for an equally good East Coast ski season in 2016.

Mike Henderson
10-21-2015, 1:18 PM

Minnesota is exactly the opposite. There, they have four seasons:

1. Almost winter,
2. Winter,
3. Still Winter, and
4. Road construction.

Mike

[The other joke about Minnesota winter is:

The Minnesotan was asked by a southerner what they did in Minnesota in the summer. His reply, "We usually have a picnic that day."]

Malcolm McLeod
10-21-2015, 1:52 PM
I told a lady in Alaska my typical Texas weather jokes, and she laughed politely.

Then she told me Alaska has 9 months on winter followed by 3 months of sh!%%y weather. ...She won!

Pat Barry
10-21-2015, 4:12 PM
Minnesota is exactly the opposite. There, they have four seasons:

1. Almost winter,
2. Winter,
3. Still Winter, and
4. Road construction.

Mike

[The other joke about Minnesota winter is:

The Minnesotan was asked by a southerner what they did in Minnesota in the summer. His reply, "We usually have a picnic that day."]
Actually, in Minnesota, on that rare summer day, we have to stay inside due to mosquito's. None the less, people keep moving here. I wish we could make them stop.

William C Rogers
10-21-2015, 5:51 PM
My snow removal is solar power. One nice thing about retirement I don't have to go out in snow. I don't even put sandbags in the back of the truck anymore. So I guess I am ready.

Rick Potter
10-21-2015, 6:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Gotta find my big boy pants, and long sleeved T shirt.

Brian Henderson
10-21-2015, 6:12 PM
LOL, that's about the way it is here. Our winters are wonderful.

Same here. If I want snow, I can drive up to the mountains in about a half hour. Otherwise, why would I want to live in it?

Rich Riddle
10-21-2015, 8:43 PM
In New Orleans the expression is....."let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ............. somewhere else."

Bruce Volden
10-21-2015, 8:49 PM
Rich,

I hate people like you who prey on the unready!!

But on the other hand I have about 5 cords of ash ready to burn to keep me warm (and to cook on!!)
South Dakota isn't known for it's mild winters, only for it's pheasants, alas.

Bruce

Greg R Bradley
10-21-2015, 8:57 PM
Summer is fading out away, electric bill is down to $870, gas bill is still $18. Come on Winter, please! I know I have some long sleeve shirts stowed away and might need them for a day or two in a few months. Its been three days since I jumped in the pool.

Rich Riddle
10-22-2015, 6:12 AM
$870 electric bills? Glad there are some folks who want to live in that land.

Rod Sheridan
10-22-2015, 8:42 AM
Who is the Creek has prepared for winter? I sent the snow blower in for service and have the blade attachment ready for the DR Mower. What have you done to greet Old Man Winter?

Laid in a stock of liquor and potato chips..............................Just kidding.

Winter prep has been performed for the motorcycles, the snow blower is gassed up, maintenance performed on it.

A large stock of Earl Grey is in the cupboards..................Let it snow................Rod.

Rick Potter
10-22-2015, 11:35 AM
My bill peaked at about $850 for a couple months when we had three families living in our house. Having the son's family move out of the shop, brought it back to normal peak of $350, and adding solar panels dropped it to zip for the last two years.

Brian Elfert
10-22-2015, 1:28 PM
Minnesota winters are not that bad. Winter usually lasts about four months or so. Road construction starts around mid April and goes through mid to late November. It is supposed to be in the 60s today.

Winter has definitely gotten shorter in the last 25 years. When I was in school it was unusual not to have snow on the ground by Thanksgiving. The norm now is often little or no snow at Thanksgiving. The Boy Scouts have sold Christmas wreathes at Thanksgiving time at church for 30+ years. It used to be normal to have huge snow banks already and now it is not uncommon to have no snow on the ground. One year it was over 60 degrees that weekend. The last couple of winters have been an exception to the rule of shorter winters. We still had snow and cold well into April in 2013 and 2014.

ryan paulsen
10-22-2015, 1:30 PM
Just started getting the ice fishing reels re-spooled and greased, need to sharpen the auger blades and top-off charge the 12V batteries.

Rod Sheridan
10-22-2015, 2:06 PM

GEEZ!!! How do you cope??????????

Regards, Rod.

Rich Riddle
10-22-2015, 2:43 PM

Regards, Rod.

Rod,

I lived down there. Everyone takes the day off from work and stays inside.

Malcolm McLeod
10-22-2015, 2:58 PM

Regards, Rod.

Texans most assuredly DO NOT cope! Coping is for trim carpenters. :p

Malcolm McLeod
10-22-2015, 3:00 PM
Rod,

I lived down there. Everyone takes the day off from work and stays inside.

It is easy to tell when we had a winter 'event'. There is a mini-baby-boom 9 months later. ...And it does only take a 1 day event!