PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting non laserable plastic

Liesl Dexheimer
10-20-2015, 6:42 PM
For a few years now I've been cutting Rowmark's non laserable value matte plastic. I don't do it very often (just one specific color for one specific customer) but was wondering if this could be harming my lungs or machine. I know it doesn't smell very good and has a bit more smoke when cut. Any ideas???

Bert Kemp
10-20-2015, 7:59 PM
Do a google search on what your cutting. All kinds of potential problems with both health and machine.:(

Clark Pace
10-20-2015, 8:02 PM
Do a google search on what your cutting. All kinds of potential problems with both health and machine.:(ve

I believe the non laserable plastic has vinyl which is a no no on lasers. It can cause problems with your optics and the the off gas is not good for you either.

Ross Moshinsky
10-20-2015, 8:19 PM
It's ABS. Just go on Rowmarks site. It tells you all you need to know.

Clark Pace
10-20-2015, 8:49 PM
It's ABS. Just go on Rowmarks site. It tells you all you need to know.

Ah that does makes sense. Although ABs can cause problems also. So make sure your machine is well vented.

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Hmmm well perhaps I won't be doing that any more. I know vinyl is a no no but thought that this type of plastic would still be ok...

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2015, 12:15 PM
We've done it for years, never had any problems.

Gary Hair
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Although ABs can cause problems also.
Care to be specific? From what I know of it ABS isn't any more (or less) harmful or dangerous than any other material we can laser.

So make sure your machine is well vented.

That's good advice for anything we laser not just ABS.

Kev Williams
10-21-2015, 3:14 PM
The "fire and explosion hazards" for the ABS value series and Lasermax materials are identical... "heated material can form flammable vapors with air" etc...

What I get a kick out of is ABS 'can decompose at temperatures above 572°F' ... I thought by then it would be ablaze... But then, if it's ablaze, it will be decomposing! ;)

Clark Pace
10-21-2015, 5:10 PM
ABS, Emits cyanide gas. Although I think it's just a tiny bit. But if you have a good vent system it may be ok. I have gotten headaches anytime I try and cut it.

Tony Lenkic
10-21-2015, 6:07 PM
Like Steve, no problem cutting ABS if smell does not bother you.

Joe Pelonio
10-21-2015, 9:51 PM
Years ago I had a job with a specific color not available in laserable. I contacted Rowmark and was told that the non-laser material is perfectly safe, but is formulated specifically for rotary, and therefore takes more effort. I have cut it with two passes, but for that job it was easier to just cut them on the small table saw, since they were just 1"x10" nameplates, and then engrave in two passes. I have done hundreds of those.