PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PIC

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2005, 8:55 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. Rather nice out this weekend. It wasn't in the 100's for temps this weekend....so it was better. :rolleyes: ;)

Been spending a good bit of time in the shop due to the cabinet job I bid on for our church and got it. I KNEW I should have bid more.!!!!! Anyway, this is my first real cabinet job and I am finding that it's a LOT of work to make a set of cabinets. I had to draw the plans, put the cabinets in CAD, punch it all in CutList Plus and start the building process. :eek:

Two things come to mind when I talk about cabinets and building them.
1. The veneer on the A/A grade plywood is barely paper thin.
2. Solid Birch lumber just loves to wave at ya. They said they had some really nice stuff and would send it to me. Well, it "looks" good....but the amount of wave from one end of an 8' board to the other end (I'm talking face to opposite face here....not edge to edge) is right at 1" total wave. :mad:

I can't afford to throw this stuff away so I'm working it as best I can to salvage all I can. I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy some Alder to make the doors with since I need good straight lumber for the cabinet doors. (Any pointers for making cabinet door frames as far as lumber goes?)

Oh well...enough of that.....

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to your all.

John Renzetti
08-29-2005, 9:11 AM
Hi Denis, Cabinets look great. Cutlist is a great program. Used it this weekend to cut up some of that costly maple veneer. On one sheet I got just 9% waste.
I rotated in the shop plus some outdoor work. Just finished one garden pathway, that has metal edging, crushed stone subbase and a decorative stone base with stone pavers as stepping stones.
The big outdoor project is building pathways out of concrete decorative edging, decorative stone and big natural stone pavers to this 1200lb fountain my bought and I installed a few weeks ago. It's looking good, but I'm getting too old for this heavy work. I'm off today so I get more time in the shop building some shop wall cabinets and working outside on the pathway project. Good thing I'm on a four day trip starting tomorrow, I'll need to rest.
take care,
John

Kelly C. Hanna
08-29-2005, 9:35 AM
Dennis...your cabinets look great! I know about the wave...Maple does it too...shoulda seen the stuff I picked through the other day at Robinson's. Nice price though...$2.49 for Stain Grade Maple.

I don't make many cabinet doors, but since I use the euro hinges, being perfefctly straight isn't always a necessary thing. I just try and clean them up as best I can before routing for profiles. Every once in awhile I get one that goes awry in the process...just gotta chuck those out the window into the fire pit stack.

At least you have room for the cabinets....we're doing a 15'x8' wall of library bookcases and a desk in between it all....in a 16x20 shop! You should see it right now...stacked to the gills. We'll have to take them all out to work today.

What we got done this weekend....painted the old house and moved the last tiny load here. Unpacked over 40 boxes yesterday and painted the dining room....it looks pretty cool in Palm Leaf green. the wife went for the Ralph Lauren paint...it does cover well and isn't a bank breaker at $28.98 as gallon.

I stained three bookcases I built back when we were poor. I still need them until I get replacements built. Funny thing is they were 2x10 that the construction crew was wasting at a high rate putting up fascia on some high ends apartments in Corinth, Texas. We lived in Hickory Creek back then and we need bookcases since I had tossed out all the Italian wine boxes I had been using whilst single (they wouldn't fly with the wife). Made them with a skilsaw, drill, a bench-tablesaw and a bunch of deck screws...:D:D:D

Jim Hager
08-29-2005, 9:39 AM
Good morning Dennis and all.

I finished up installing a set of office cabinets this weekend. Sorry no pics, I forgot the camera. I will take some pics and post a little later.

Made a couple of bar panels for a set of cabinets being built by a carpenter. I also glued up 46 panels for a set of doors yesterday afternoon. Got to get those out of the shop next weekend for a local contractor.

Didn't get any time to work on the kitchen that I have going but I plan to get the face frames made this week. Pretty big kitchen but if I work a couple of hours each night this week I can get them done.

Sorry you are having problems with your birch. :( I haven't used birch for doors but soft maple works good to match with birch ply. I make quite a few maple doors for customers. You might want to consider that as an alternative. I haven't used any alder yet but have been looking at it as a possibility.

What kind of system are you using to make doors? Always looking for a way to shorten my process!!

Probably gonna make a decision on a new RO sander sometime this week. May have to take a trip to Jonesboro sometime this week to see what the borgs have. Lowes carries a PC sander but I don't like the "sticky" discs and they don't have a hook and loop conversion.

Dick Parr
08-29-2005, 9:51 AM
:) I'll try this again.

Spent the weekend taking care of our daughter who is sick but was able to get some time in the shop.

I got some cherry from Jim K. at the BBQ and turned a small bowl from a piece of it. It finished out at 7"x2-1/2" and the walls are 1/8" thick and the bottom is 3/16". It is finished with Watco and then buffed on the 3 wheels and Renaissance wax put on top.

The vase is from I think sycamore and is 5"x4" and is also finished with Watco and buffed.

Thanks for looking

Michael Stafford
08-29-2005, 10:00 AM
That is a fine looking cherry bowl Dick. The vase ain't half bad either. Glad to see you turning things out.... :p :D

Ed Lang
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Installed the lift gate on my truck so I can lift the heavy turning stock I have been finding. Pictures will come later with a bit more information about it.

I heard about this lift gate from Bill Grumbine on the Turners forum. He also has one and likes it.

Best $200 I have spend in a long while.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-29-2005, 10:45 AM
I did some more week on the final SUPER SECRET project. It's getting down there. I hope to finish assembling it this week so that I can put the final coats on finish on next week! (Don't worry guys, I will tell you all about them when I can!)

The rest of the weekend was spent with friends and outside yard work.

Joe Blankshain
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
This weekend was spent with the LOML. She has been very patient with me over the past few months, so BBQ and rest was the order of the day. Been talking about moving to the Charleston, S.C. area from AZ as we miss the hospitality of people from back east. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Jim O'Dell
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi! Spent some time in the shop hanging the cyclone body. Had to rebuild the closet side walls to canteliver out to hold up the next ceiling joist where it had to be cut to clear for the intake pipe. Sat in a chair in front of a fan and looked at lots of things in the shop. Cleaned up the pile of trash I had transferred from inside the shop to outside the shop a couple weeks back, and took it to the shop to dispose of. Designed how the doors will be installed on the cyclone closet for best access. Then chilled out last evening. Jim.

edit: Gee, why did I take it out of the shop, to take it back too the shop? The disposal part should have said taken to work to get rid of. I'll go back to sleep now.... Jim.

Jim Becker
08-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Ah...the smell of sawdust. Finally got back in the shop after about two months hiatus due to our July visitors and the pond project. That was nice.

It was a productive weekend. Got all the construction done on a wall-hanging bookcase project. 'Have some final sanding to do and then it's on to the finishing. Before I hang it, I'll have to do a little remodeling in the girls' room to remove a small built-in bookcase made of 2x and reroute the LAN cable that is temporarily extended into Dr. SWMBO's "new" office next door. (The girls' room was her office)

Speaking of Dr SWMBO, she's making some warm hats for the girls and her (we will undoubtedly be traveling to Siberia in WINTER to complete things) and she was unable to find some double-ended #13 needles as required by the pattern. So she bought single ended ones at my suggestion and I, being a kind and resourceful person, chucked them up in the Stubby and made them double-ended. ;) Hey...it was an opportunity to turn bamboo!! Pics below of that activity.

DVD of the week was The Door In The Floor, which was acted brilliantly. I may have to read John Irving's book that the movie was based on as the flick only covers the first third of the tome...

JayStPeter
08-29-2005, 11:10 AM
My wife was out of town this weekend, so I hung out with the boys. When she got home Sunday, I gave her the kids and scurried down to the shop for a couple hrs. I built the mortising jig from shopnotes. It's mostly done, but I do have to pick up some tee-nuts on the way home tonight to finish it. Spent a significant amount of time trying to figure out exactly how to cut my scraps up to get the parts I need :rolleyes: . I have some ideas for improvements that will make it the "do it all" jig I want. I'll order some more hardware for that this week. May or may not work, but should be fun to play around with. As usual, my dorking around with stuff delays the actual product getting out the door :cool: .

Jay

Byron Trantham
08-29-2005, 11:47 AM
I was commissioned to build a bunk bed ensemble comprised to the bunk bed, a three drawer chest of drawers, a three drawer filing cabinet, a book case that mounts underneath the bed, the ladder, a desk which mounts just above the chests and an additional matching bookcase that will mount on the wall opposite from the bed. The chest of drawers and the filing cabinet are done. The drawers almost finished. Sooo much more to go!

Matt Meiser
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
We went to Chicago again to haul back more wood. Got a lot of smaller stuff, including a ton of maple cutoffs that I can use to make a bunch of cutting boards for Christmas gifts since everyone likes the ones I made my wife and dad. Got a bunch of smaller walnut and numerouse maple & cherry spindle blanks. This time we took my daughter and spent most of Saturday downtown with her. We took her up in the Sears Tower, to the Lego store, and to the American Girl store. She seemed to enjoy it.

The best part of the weekend though is that my daughter has had a clean diaper since Friday morning and has been letting us know every time she needs to use the bathroom!!!

Scott Coffelt
08-29-2005, 1:47 PM
Where does the time go on the weekends. Finally dried here so i got some yard work done, I think it rained every day for a week plus. I was beginning to think I was in Seattle.

Typical weekend resulting in lots of running around beofer i had a chance to get some real work done. Started on building some simple and cheap shelving units for my sons play room. I am going with an industrial them on these. They will be made from (gasp!!!) PARTICLE BOARD... I can't believe I said that. They will be painted black. I wanted smething that could take some amount of beating and also something that if we chose to go a different direction in the future had no real major expense. I also decided to make the legs out of galvanized pipe and fittings. Not sure the LOML's real feelings on them she kind of laughed at me... course I told her to hold her opinions until I was done... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I also have plans for a computer desk/writing desk out of the pipe and fittings and a laminate top. Anyways, I felt I would share pics when I get them done and in place versus crappy progress pics.

Watched two movies this weekend - SIN CITY, not real impressed with it and FAT ALBERT, LMAO. I just love Netflix, you can take a hance on amovie and not feel real bad if you do not like it.

Steve Clardy
08-29-2005, 1:53 PM
Looks like your cabs are coming along fine Dennis!!
Did you work in the shop saturday.
Sunday wasn't a good day.
While celebrating my wifes and I 32nd anniversary, and my FIL and MIL's 60th anniversary, [yes, same date] my father in law passed away.

Steve

Michael Gabbay
08-29-2005, 3:19 PM
Well I got some good shop time in this weekend. I spent half the time on working on some replacement doors for a friend's built-in. I'm using a M&T miterd sticking door frame with a raised panel. It's somewhat of a pain to make the M&T mitered sticking doors but they are very strong.

I also got some time in on milling the drawer boxes for the vanity. It's amazing how fast you can fill up a DC bag with a planer! :eek: I almost overfilled it again. Luckily when I was checking the bag last night I realized it was full.

I'm probably going to do thru DTs for the drawer boxes and the fronts will be a framed flat panel to match the doors. These will be made with a rail and stile bit since they are a lot smaller.

Mike

Michael Gabbay
08-29-2005, 3:21 PM
Steve - I did not see you post until after I posted mine... Sorry to hear about your FIL. I hope your MIL and wife are doing ok. Oour thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Mike

Don Baer
08-29-2005, 3:34 PM
I made a faceplate to adapt my metal lathe for wood turning and then I turned my first piece. It's posted in the truning forum if anyone cares to see it.:D

Jim Dunn
08-29-2005, 3:49 PM
The weekend finally dryed up enough to lay a row or two of blocks.

Jim Dunn
08-29-2005, 3:51 PM
Steve, sorry I didn't read you post thru. Sorry to hear about you loss. Hope the comming year is more cheerful.

Vaughn McMillan
08-29-2005, 4:07 PM
Didn't get a lot of shop time in this weekend. (Still finished a couple cutting boards and did a bit more work on my vertical sled jig.) It was hot, I had office work to do (even had a meeting at the office Sunday afternoon), and LOML and I were tied up somewhat with her mom, who was just moved from the hospital to a convalescent home. If all goes well she'll get better and move back home with us in a week or two.

Sorry to see your sad news Steve. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

- Vaughn

Tony Falotico
08-29-2005, 9:15 PM
NO, it is not a contemporary Nativity Scene :) :)

Built these for a friend at work who builds and flys RC aircraft. They are hold downs and clamps for framing airplane parts like wings. He works on a steel top workbench, the magnets hold to the bench top and he positions them as needed for hold downs while glue sets and dries. Believe it or not, you can crush a softwood strut before the magnet will lift. The little guys without the arms are used for positioning / holding things against each other. He does very much the same stuff we do, just on a much smaller scale. The one next to the marker (for size reference) is the smallest guy with arms. It was a fun project for both of us.

The more I stare at them, the more I see a larger scale prototype for use as feather boards / hold downs on the table saw. He is researching magnetic strength (both vertical and lateral) for me to see what we can come up with.

FOOTNOTE: Also, the more I look at them, the more they cry out for little faces :D :D He won't let me ! :mad: