PDA

View Full Version : Questions about moving a PM 90 or rockwell 46-450

Gary Gill
10-20-2015, 5:47 AM
I am looking for a lathe and found two available from the same seller. Looking at a 5 hour road trip. One is a Powermatic 90 and the other is a Rockwell 46-450. I do not own a truck or trailer, but I'm willing to rent such. What advise do you have for loading and unloading such lathes short of men with brute force? Would you hire a wrecker with an extending boom? Maybe rent a diesel engine hoist?

The PM 90 is equipped with a vfd. The rockwell has a 3 phase motor. but no vdf.

thanks

John Lifer
10-20-2015, 8:32 AM
Got a Delta of that model. I have moved it a couple of times, used furniture dollies to roll around, hardest part is the headstock end. No good place to grip and lift. I ended up the first time using scrap wood to get high enough to get dolly under it. 3/4" lift side to side . not the safest, but if you have someone helping a bit, not bad. As far as getting into truck, and considering you are renting truck or trailer, try and find one with lift gate. Or there are trailers that drop to ground level. I had hoist in old shop that I used to load, and was able to roll off . last move I PAID to have all my machines moved. About $500 went to shop move and that was CHEAP!

William C Rogers
10-20-2015, 8:57 AM
I have the PM 90. It weighs in the 700-800 lb range. Brute force was used for loading and unloading mine from the trailer. Once on the ground I put mine (bolted to) on those HF (small size) moving dollys. That lathe is top heavy and if I ever did that again I would use the large movers, but that would still be risky. I am telling you this because I would not try to put wheels under it and use a come along to load it on a trailer. The best is to somehow hoist it like you said. Once on the trailer you need to go the extra securing it to make sure it does not tip. The PM 90 is a very stout lathe with the 12" swing being the only real limitation. Having a vdf is a real bonus, I converted mine to single phase.

Gary Gill
10-20-2015, 11:01 AM
I appreciate the replies. I have owned wood lathes that were not so heavy. I was younger and more inclined to take risks.
The work I have planned can be done on a Jet1221vs. Not nearly the mass of the PM or the rockwell. Much safer to setup and I could use sand as ballast.