PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 766 lathe capability

Bill Devlin
10-19-2015, 8:53 PM
Ordered the lathe but am wondering.... If you read the manual it says for outboard turning limit yourself to 17" diameter. 😳 It's a 22" lathe and I am being told that basically without the tail stock to not go beyond 17" diameter. Talked to Grizzly tech and was also told if you can't lift it don't put it on the lathe! If I start with a 22" blank and about 22" long in green wood I will end up with at best 20" diameter once rounded. After turning the outside of the hollow form I would eventually have to turn this without the tail stock to do the hollowing. So is this really limited by this lathe and its use of only 2 bearings? Am I not really going to be able to use the full capability of a 22" lathe?

Roger Chandler
10-19-2015, 9:09 PM
I turned a piece of green ash that was about 21 inches [inboard] and the blank was heavy. I did use tailstock support until I got the outside shaped. I used a recess for the hold and chuck in expansion mode. It was a natural edge bowl. If you want to do a large hollowform, I would certainly recommend you use a steady rest to support the piece, as hanging way out beyond the chuck or faceplate would be prudent for any lathe you turn on, no matter what brand.

Mark Greenbaum
10-19-2015, 9:14 PM
Ordered the lathe but am wondering.... If you read the manual it says for outboard turning limit yourself to 17" diameter.  It's a 22" lathe and I am being told that basically without the tail stock to not go beyond 17" diameter. Talked to Grizzly tech and was also told if you can't lift it don't put it on the lathe! If I start with a 22" blank and about 22" long in green wood I will end up with at best 20" diameter once rounded. After turning the outside of the hollow form I would eventually have to turn this without the tail stock to do the hollowing. So is this really limited by this lathe and its use of only 2 bearings? Am I not really going to be able to use the full capability of a 22" lathe?

Might be because they don't offer an outboard turning stand yet. I think if someone had a PM or Jet outboard stand we could see if the bolt pattern would match up, and see what the radius or diameter of the turning could be. I agree with Roger - use the tailstock as long as possible, and use a steady rest for hollow forms. Good examples have been posted here as elsewhere of DIY's. On my list of things to do.

Matt Schrum
10-20-2015, 8:37 AM
I made a 18-19" finished diameter bowl that started out as a 150-200 lbs rough, green log that I had to trim some corners on just to get it to clear. I had the tailstock in for support for as long as possible and had no mechanical issues. The lathe did fine, the banjo/toolrest had to be stretched and maneuvered a bit creatively, but that's an issue they are working on addressing with the new casting.

Roger Chandler
10-20-2015, 9:46 AM
Just adding a thought or two to this capability of the G0766 discussion we are having here. The OP, Bill wonders if the lathe is capable. Bill, you have not stated what your level of experience is in turning.......whether fairly new to it, or very experienced and have a vast background in things related to the lathe.

I would think that this G0766 is likely to handle most anything you throw at it, unless you are indeed one of those very experienced turners who make very large forms.......if that is the case, you likely would already have a setup and be doing those types of turnings, and have more heavy duty equipment.

I have a few years of experience under my belt now. I have turned on a number of different lathes.....3520b's, Robust American Beauty. Jet 1642 evs models and a few others, like midi's. I contend this lathe will handle anything a 3520b will handle, then some.

Bearings and all........well if you are going to be in heavy production runs with very large and heavy wood........I have not had my G0766 long enough to prove that scnenario......it has not been out that long, and nobody has that experience yet. If that is what is going to be the steady diet of wood you feed the G0766, then only time will tell. I can say that to date is has done everything I have asked of it, and has done it with power, smoothness and has not hiccupped whatsoever!

If you do feed the G0766 with a steady diet of large, heavy wood, then you will no doubt need to add some ballast to the unit with a shelf or some sort of way to put additional weight on the bottom of your lathe's leg castings. That will determine a lot of capability for you.

Dennis Ford
10-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Ordered the lathe but am wondering.... If you read the manual it says for outboard turning limit yourself to 17" diameter.  It's a 22" lathe and I am being told that basically without the tail stock to not go beyond 17" diameter. Talked to Grizzly tech and was also told if you can't lift it don't put it on the lathe! If I start with a 22" blank and about 22" long in green wood I will end up with at best 20" diameter once rounded. After turning the outside of the hollow form I would eventually have to turn this without the tail stock to do the hollowing. So is this really limited by this lathe and its use of only 2 bearings? Am I not really going to be able to use the full capability of a 22" lathe?

I don't have nor have I used this lathe. I can say that a 20" diameter x 22" long green blank will seriously stress the spindle and bearings of any wood lathe if attempted without tail-stock. This would be a good way to tear up a Powermatic 3520b or really test a Robust American Beauty.

Bill Devlin
10-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the input. That is what I was looking for, not slamming the lathe! Our club is picking up six today and one is mine. I have a Nova DVR with the outboard attachment. I am always putting the largest diameter blank I can on it so hoping the Grizzly will allow more.

david privett
10-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I turned a 17 inch by 8 inch piece of wet red oak only semi balanced outboard off of the stock faceplate (made my own stand and not in my opinion anywhere near the limits of the lathe), no issues except it's messy red oak tannins.

Bill Devlin
10-20-2015, 1:04 PM
I did state that EVENTUALLY I would have to turn this WITHOUT the tail stock to hollow.

Bill Devlin
10-20-2015, 1:06 PM
So what is OP?

Shawn Pachlhofer
10-20-2015, 1:26 PM
OP = Original Poster

the person that started the thread

Roger Chandler
10-20-2015, 1:29 PM
Original poster in the thread. [OP]

Bill, if you are concerned with larger hollow forms, you will find that a good steady rest will allow you to do some great forms and help keep that side pressure in hollowing at bay......I recommend a 4 wheel setup, but a 3 wheel will also work well. Some who use lasers with their hollowing prefer a 3 wheel setup.