PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Laser Legend 36EXT issues help!!!!!!!!

Eddie Carlino
10-19-2015, 8:29 PM
On Saturday , My Epilog Legend EXT 36 did some weird things. I was rastering a project and the laser started wandering left off the design area. Normally this means that the encoding strip is dirty and needs cleaning, I had just cleaned it a few days earlier and hadnt run the machine. Then Started rastering again and it seemed to work fine then stopped rastering. Took the item out and pout a test piece in and started rastering and vectoring, squares... It wouldnt raster but it would vector fine. Then i shut teh machine off and then it would act like a normal boot up and then the carriage and laser head went all the way to the right side of the carriage and parked there. Shut it off again and restarted and then the carriage came flying forward towards me and stopped half way and came up as X/Y disabled X, no buttons would work on the control panel. Called Epilog and they said your motor cogs are dirty, take the belt off and take the X axis motor out and clean it thoroughly. Did that and reassmbled and getting the same scenario with non booting up ...nothing worked

Ordered a new Motherboard, Combo board, Encoder reader, Encoder strip and flex cable, $1500 they said this should fix the problem, however all settings may have to be reentered.
My question is what caused this and will what they are sending me tomorrow fix the issue, desperately need this laser running tomorrow.

The X motor and Y motor seem to work because they power up and move the carriage both ways.
the only other panel that seems that could be replaced is the control panel
Anyone knowledgable on the Epilog laser to help?
thanks guys
eddie

Braden Todd
10-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Only time I got that message was when my x axis motor died. It also raced across the machine but it did slam into the side giving me a heart attack!

Hope you get up and running soon!

Michael Hunter
10-20-2015, 7:12 AM
Me too!

Had exactly those symptoms when the motor died.
On inspection after replacing, the old motor was choked up with carbon dust from the brushes and the bearing was shot.

Nick Lepkoske
10-20-2015, 7:16 AM
Mine did this when the PCB Carriage Head went bad, Replaced That and the Motherboard and It was running again.
Sounds to me like you've got the right parts on the way to be back up and running soon!
Good Luck And hope you Get up and running quick!

Eddie Carlino
10-20-2015, 8:33 AM
so theyre sending today, The mother board, the combo board above it, the encoder reader board and reader a new encoding strip and teh flex cable ribbon to connect it. I hope this fixes it, sounds like its happened on other machines from the read of the answers here, thanks guys, I ll up date when i put the parts in today and try to reboot. eddie

Eddie Carlino
10-20-2015, 1:36 PM
Ok,
parts got here, replaced the encoder board, encoding strip, flex cable...started up machine, and getting the same problem....
replaced the combo board, started up machine, and getting the same problem....
ugh then replaced the mother board which came with another smaller board attached to it, probably controlling and fixing issues inherent
booted it up .....and it WORKED, so I guess im up... thanks guys for all your help and the guys at Epilog...

Darren Wilson
10-20-2015, 8:13 PM
Wow $1500 and you got Motherboard, Combo board, Encoder reader, Encoder strip. I had to pay $2000 AUD for MB alone. The new MB had daughter boards as well, problem was solved. Do you get to return the other components that did not fix the problem?