PDA

View Full Version : G0766 Lathe Concerns

Bruce Schriner
10-19-2015, 8:03 PM
Members, greetings. New to posting and new owner of a Grizzly G0766 lathe. I have one concerning question; when I place the index pin in to tighten the faceplate, after I snug up the plate to where it's tight, I can still turn the spindle - while the index pin is still in place. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that should happen. Thank you in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this issue.
Cheers;
Bruce

Roger Chandler
10-19-2015, 8:11 PM
Sounds like you are not using the index pin correctly. If you are using the threaded end, that is designed for the indexing the spindle for fluting and such. How far in did you put the pin into the hole. The opposite end should be used for spindle lock purposes.

The spindle is belt driven, so yes, you might be able to move the spindle with the chuck all the way on. If it is turning easily, then check your belt tension and also make sure your pulley set screw are seated all the way and snugged down on the spindle.

Bruce Schriner
10-19-2015, 8:23 PM
Thank you for the quick reply; using correct end of index pin - doubled checked that one :). I will recheck tension and set screws. What I failed to mention in my original post, is that I get an audible "click" and it seems like the work piece wobbles just slightly. When I press on the work piece (like top sanding), the click noise dissipates completely. Again, thank you Sir.
Bruce

Roger Chandler
10-19-2015, 8:39 PM
Bruce.....check the threads on the GGMG about the spacer on the spindle. One of the members had one a smidgen loose, and it made a clicking noise. Also, tech support from Grizzly can walk you through any issues you might have.....they want your machine right for you and will help get you there!

Brice Rogers
10-22-2015, 1:40 AM
The spindle is belt driven, so yes, you might be able to move the spindle with the chuck all the way on. If it is turning easily, then check your belt tension and also make sure your pulley set screw are seated all the way and snugged down on the spindle.

I have a new G0766. I am familiar with the locking pin. Although you are right that the spindle is belt driven, when the locking pin is in place, the spindle should be restrainted and locked to the headstock. Why? The pin slips through a hole in the front of the headstock into a recess or hole in the spindle about an inch to the right of where the spindle emerges from the headstock. The pulley and motor are to the left of all of this and have nothing to do with the locking mechanism.

The OP should stick something into the locking hole and try to determine if there are a whole series of holes in the spindle and that they all go in about the same distance. Perhaps stick in a narrow screw driver or a nail or a drill bit. If the OP can confirm that there are a series of holes (10 degrees apart?), then it confirms that the spindle has the necessary holes. Then, maybe there is a burr that is keeping the locking tool from seating all the way in.

Roger Chandler
10-22-2015, 7:29 AM
Brice, my concern was that he was using the threaded end and not threading it far enough back to put it into one of the holes but just far enough to thread into the casting around the spindle. That does not sound like the issue from his reply. Perhaps there is another reason for his moving after the pin is in....you have given him a good way to check it out. He should contact Grizzly with any concerns.

My former G0698 also had the same type of spindle/pin system......used it for over 5 years, now on my G0766, and it works great.