PDA

View Full Version : A practicality question about coring

Brian Brown
10-19-2015, 7:17 PM
Can a coring system be used with a MIDI lathe with good results, or is it just a waste of time and money? If it matters, I have a Delta 460 (3/4 HP real world). Also, I see most people core wet blanks. Can it be used with good results on a dry blank? I know the systems will work with, and they are sold for MIDI's, but I worry that it will just frustrate me. I have limited patience for frustration, although turning seems to be an exception most of the time. It's just a lot of money for something that may just collect dust in the shop.

Scott Hackler
10-19-2015, 7:36 PM
You should be able to core smaller blanks on a Midi, if the blade is sharp...you go slow....and clear the shavings. I would suggest a Woodcut Bowlsaver for a midi. I have seen them working and they work good with the only limitation being that they only do a standard bowl shape.

David Walser
10-19-2015, 8:39 PM
Brian -- Woodcut's coring system was designed for midi-lathes. So, I'd say, yes, you can core with a midi-lathe. The Kelton system with their smallest knife set would be a good place to start. (I like the Woodcut system, but I don't know where you can buy one in the USA.) And, yes, you can core dry wood. It just takes longer and is more dusty.

HTH.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-20-2015, 12:55 AM
McNaughton makes a coring set for the Jet mini, with 1/2 horsepower. It's real slow and tedious, but I've done it. Since buying the big Jet, it does sit in my tool box, waiting for the day when I get a small piece of koa that I want to save..... Coring saves you money, especially when the wood is worth more than the blades. You could do it on the Delta. I know it has much more power than the Jet mini.

Fred Belknap
10-20-2015, 6:51 AM
I have the McNaukghton set, it seems that about half the people that get it don't use it. I fall in between somewhere, I can use it but it sure isn't one of my favorite tools. I only use it when I have a burl or a great piece of wood. I don't think I have used it since last winter. I have fairly easy access to wood. Tried the small blades on a two hp lathe, got a catch and turned one of the blades into a pretzel.

Jeffrey J Smith
10-20-2015, 12:29 PM
I have the McNaughton set, it seems that about half the people that get it don't use it.
That's what makes it one of the best buys on the used market :) Do a little homework (Dale Bonertz YouTube video is excellent), spend a little time with it, keep it sharp and pretty soon coring is almost effortless. I core just about everything. The smallest cores are used to get 'up to speed' before a longer turning session. Turn a pretty little bowl just to get a feel for the tools before plowing into more valuable stuff.