PDA

View Full Version : Tool/Wood gloat

Rob Price
10-19-2015, 4:41 PM
I've been waiting/saving for my last 'big tool' purchase- a jointer. I have a Central Machinery 6" that I'm pretty sure is older than me. The fence doesn't really lock, it's not straight, and the thing is pretty worn out- but it was free. A local ww'er is clearing out his shop and I jumped on a 2003 8" Shop Fox jointer, in excellent condition for $600 including extra blades and the mobile base.

Of course while I was there I had to sort through some of his 8/4 cherry, some ambrosia maple, 8/4 mahogany, and scattered other lumber. And a miter sled/jig as well.

The jointer had me nervous, though. First time I fired it up it rattled terribly. The belts were crazy loose. Tightened up and it's much better, although I'm thinking I may just replace them with link belts. I'm just hoping the bearings were'n't beat up too bad from the loose belts. It hasn't seen a ton of use.

Now I just have to re-arrange everything to accommodate the new toy...errr I mean tool.

Russel De Arman
10-19-2015, 5:13 PM
I have no idea on the price those jointers go for but it sure is pretty, the wood is VERY nice too...

Kent Adams
10-19-2015, 5:16 PM
Jointer looks new from the picture. Congrats.