PDA

View Full Version : Bench top scroll saw recommendations

David Tolsky
10-19-2015, 4:22 PM
I'm looking to add a bench top scroll saw, maybe 16" or so and looking for best bang for the buck under $200. Wondering if anyone has any experience with Grizzly 16" scroll saws and what features should I make sure I have? Thank you

Marion Smith
10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
I've used a Dremel 1680 for 10yrs or so. Bought it new, and shortly after I got it they sent me a new switch for the motor. I waited until the original actually went bad to put it in, which was last November. Other than that, its worked great as a hobby tool for me. I've used mine regularly over the time I've had it making gifts mostly. Scrollsaw clocks for wedding/anniversary, and every year I make a bunch of Christmas ornaments for the grandkids. Mostly, I'm cutting up 1/4" stock, but, occasionally I've cut 3/4" oak with it too. The two best tips for a saw of this price range I have to share are 1)Bolt it securely to something with substantial mass, and 2) use good, sharp blades. I also have the Dremel drill press, and a Dremel tool with 1/8" drill that I keep next to the scrollsaw. Makes for a convenient set up, especially for the Christmas ornament run. They don't sell it anymore, but they can be had for cheap on craigslist and eBay.
Added: I forgot to list features.
It has variable speed, accepts blades with or without pins, table tilts both ways iirc, it has an independently switched worklight, a lock-line type hose for air blow, and its relatively quiet at any speed. Except when you snap a blade...yeah, that will wake you up!

Michael Moscicki
10-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Disclaimer: I have a DeWalt DW788 which is a 20" saw, so my response is heavily biased.

If I were looking to buy new, I would make sure it has pinless blades, a cast iron table, and variable speed.

You can find an abundance of scroll saws on Craigslist and Ebay which would net you a better value than the Grizzly, Craftsman, Ryobi, Skil, or similar scroll saws in the sub $200 range.

If you don't mind buying used, then look at the DeWalt DW788, preferably a Type 1, which was made in Canada for DeWalt by Sommervile Design back in the 90's. It is a great saw which you can find used in the $250 to $350 range with a light and stand. You can even find it for $200 or less it if it is just the saw without the stand or light. Hegner's, RBI's, and Excalibur's are also good to look out for.

David Tolsky
10-26-2015, 1:51 PM
A stand is out of the question as I just don't have the room for it. I'm lucky I get half the garage to set up all my tools 😀 I will check out CL and some other sources and look for a good used saw over the cheaper brands. I like the Dremel idea too and will look into that as well. Thanks guys

QUOTE=Michael Moscicki;2481137]Disclaimer: I have a DeWalt DW788 which is a 20" saw, so my response is heavily biased.
If I were looking to buy new, I would make sure it has pinless blades, a cast iron table, and variable speed.

You can find an abundance of scroll saws on Craigslist and Ebay which would net you a better value than the Grizzly, Craftsman, Ryobi, Skil, or similar scroll saws in the sub $200 range.

If you don't mind buying used, then look at the DeWalt DW788, preferably a Type 1, which was made in Canada for DeWalt by Sommervile Design back in the 90's. It is a great saw which you can find used in the $250 to $350 range with a light and stand. You can even find it for $200 or less it if it is just the saw without the stand or light. Hegner's, RBI's, and Excalibur's are also good to look out for.[/QUOTE]

David Tolsky
10-26-2015, 2:14 PM
There is currently on CL a 788 Type 1 for $295 says barely used. Good?

Mike Henderson
10-26-2015, 2:16 PM
There is currently on CL a 788 Type 1 for $295 says barely used. Good?

I'd go for that. Of course, you always want to negotiate. See if he'll take $250.

Also, see if it comes with a stand and a foot switch. You can always buy or make a stand and buy a foot switch but if you can get them with the saw, all the better.

Mike

Ben Rivel
10-26-2015, 4:32 PM
Seriously the only/cheapest scroll saw I would ever consider is the Dewalt 788. It has become such a tried and true tool over the years if I needed one that would be the one Id go for!

Brian Henderson
10-26-2015, 5:36 PM
I'd go for that. Of course, you always want to negotiate. See if he'll take $250.

Also, see if it comes with a stand and a foot switch. You can always buy or make a stand and buy a foot switch but if you can get them with the saw, all the better.

Mike

It's weird, I was looking on Amazon for 788s and they have brand new ones up for $494 and reconditioned ones for $608. And apparently, the reconditioned ones are selling because there are only 3 left. Go figure.

Ben Rivel
10-26-2015, 5:47 PM
I know Rockler and Woodcraft every once in a while run a special on the Dewalt 788 where you get the Dewalt stand and the light for the 788 for free for the total $499. Might wait for that if you like. Think Woodcraft is doing the stand for free right now, but not the light.

David Tolsky
10-28-2015, 2:41 PM
He will go down to $260 on the 788 Type 1 Canada. He said it's about 10 years old but barely used. I was not planning on a big 20" but I might have to get this. Gonna have to make room for it.

Michael Moscicki
10-28-2015, 3:08 PM
I paid $250 for my DeWalt 4 years ago, although it did come with the stand and light.

Does it have the stand and light? If so, buy it for $260 and pick it up today if not tomorrow. If not, I would still consider buying it for $260.

Also it is not that big compared to other tools. If you want to save space, you could store it under your workbench and whenever you want to use it put it on top of your workbench.

David Tolsky
10-28-2015, 11:03 PM
It does not have the stand and I don't have room for another stand anyway. Also no light unfortunately but has the blower and 3 blades. I have some bench space cleared out for it. Can pick it up tomorrow. He says it's hardly been used at all. Also I think I can rig an aftermarket light if I really need one.

Brad Barnhart
10-29-2015, 7:04 AM
Scrolling can be as relaxing & therapeutic, if you will, as you make it. It can also be more frustrating than teaching a dog not to bark! The scroll saw is an amazing machine, & has many uses. I've been scrolling a number of years, own 5 scroll saws, & one of those is completely worn out. My advice when buying a saw is to first ask yourself what your plans are with it, & how serious are you about it? Fretwork or hobbyist work? Daily use, or occasional use? Three main things to look at in a saw is table size, throat depth, & blade type. The bigger the saw deck, the better, from the start. If you have plans of constant use of your saw, go as big as you feel comfortable with. Keeping in mind, anything under a 20" saw has several limitations, but is a good place to start. Blade type. Try to go w/pinless blades, because they are more accessible, smaller entry holes, & easier to store. Another thought when buying a saw, look at the reputation of the saw. Read the reviews. They all have their short comings. Can you get parts for the saw? Are you able to make the repairs yourself? Next, just how willing are you to learn patience? Because the scroll saw will teach you patience. It takes time to learn to scroll, try not to rush yourself. You'll just bust blades, & use language your Mrs. & saw won't like. Variable speed is a critical point in buying a saw, too. Learning to use it is all part of the fun, along with blade types & sizes. My personal recommendation would be the RBI Hawk saws. They are easy to learn, quiet, efficient, & have excellent tech & parts availability. My apologies for the ramble, but just passing on information from experience. Enjoy your venture, & be safe!

David Tolsky
10-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Scrolling can be as relaxing & therapeutic, if you will, as you make it. It can also be more frustrating than teaching a dog not to bark! The scroll saw is an amazing machine, & has many uses. I've been scrolling a number of years, own 5 scroll saws, & one of those is completely worn out. My advice when buying a saw is to first ask yourself what your plans are with it, & how serious are you about it? Fretwork or hobbyist work? Daily use, or occasional use? Three main things to look at in a saw is table size, throat depth, & blade type. The bigger the saw deck, the better, from the start. If you have plans of constant use of your saw, go as big as you feel comfortable with. Keeping in mind, anything under a 20" saw has several limitations, but is a good place to start. Blade type. Try to go w/pinless blades, because they are more accessible, smaller entry holes, & easier to store. Another thought when buying a saw, look at the reputation of the saw. Read the reviews. They all have their short comings. Can you get parts for the saw? Are you able to make the repairs yourself? Next, just how willing are you to learn patience? Because the scroll saw will teach you patience. It takes time to learn to scroll, try not to rush yourself. You'll just bust blades, & use language your Mrs. & saw won't like. Variable speed is a critical point in buying a saw, too. Learning to use it is all part of the fun, along with blade types & sizes. My personal recommendation would be the RBI Hawk saws. They are easy to learn, quiet, efficient, & have excellent tech & parts availability. My apologies for the ramble, but just passing on information from experience. Enjoy your venture, & be safe!

All good points Brad. I plan to grow into it and use it often. Introducing the newest member of the woodshop!324342 It is in pristine shape and I look forward to the intricate work I'll be doing on it!

David Tolsky
10-30-2015, 12:31 PM

All good points Brad. I plan to grow into it and use it often. Introducing the newest member of the woodshop!324342 It is in pristine shape and I look forward to the intricate work I'll be doing on it! The previous owner said it was purchased in '99 and used for a few years after that and stored in a locker. He just took it out a few days ago for the first time in 11 years to sell it!

Brad Barnhart
10-31-2015, 6:47 AM
looks to well taken care of, Mr. David! I'd say money well spent! Welcome to the world of scrolling, my friend! I hope enjoy your saw! If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to pm me anytime. I'll send ya my cell number, if ya want it. Call anytime!!! Again, enjoy Sir!

glenn bradley
10-31-2015, 7:19 AM
Disclaimer: I have a DeWalt DW788 which is a 20" saw, so my response is heavily biased.

Ditto :). In all fairness I use a scrollsaw on thicker stock than a lot of folks and need the power. A primary "gotta have" for me is smoothness in operation. Compare a high end Bosch jig saw with a cheap-o version and you get the idea. One is very controllable and can do the tiniest details. The other vibrates so much it is a challenge to work with.

Al Launier
10-31-2015, 8:58 AM
I picked up a "like new" DeWalt788 scroll saw on Craigslist a couple years ago for $175 (talk about luck - a divorce sell-off situation) and have never regretted that purchase. It's a great saw for most applications and to buy it at approximately 50% of the normal retail price is normally a nice buy if it's in very good condition. If you decide to look at the craigslist offering, I'd suggest you take a piece of wood with you to try it out & to satisfy yourself about its performance. Also, the pinless blades are recommended, but if you should run out of those pinless blades, you could break the ends off of a coping saw blades to make it pinless. This would give you a coarser pitch blade which is very useful. I have several coping blades on hand for thicker wood - works great! You won't go wrong with a DW788 that is in good condition, plus the 20" capacity is very useful.