PDA

View Full Version : Branding Bowls

William C Rogers
10-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I do not sell, but make items for gifts. I am in the process of finishing a 10" bowl for a gift (first turning in years). I have a branding iron and also a woodburing system. I brand flat items like cutting boards, but to me doesn't seem right for a bowl. I'm thinking just use the wood burning system and sign. What do you guys do?

edit

If I branded I would initial next to the block name, add wood type, and date.

Sean Hughto
10-19-2015, 11:17 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4134/4754828875_17103f8abd_b.jpg

Scott Hackler
10-19-2015, 11:33 AM
My wife bought me a branding iron with my name and a changeable date. Works good on flat surfaces that have enough space for the 1 1/4" (or so) wide stamp, but a lot of my bowls have a slightly curved or concave bottom or are just too small for the brand. I stopped using it for turnings and just stamp flat work with it now. For the turnings I use my wood burner with a small ball tip and print my name on the pieces. I can't sign because my signature is like a Dr and you would only be able to make out the S and the H!

Which brings me to a big turners pet peeve. STOP INITIALING your turnings. No one but a family member or close friend will know who make it by 2 or 3 initials! Every time I get a turning in trade or swap that is only initialed, I either write the makers name on the bottom in pencil or on a piece of paper to be placed in the piece.

Dan Masshardt
10-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Glenn Lucas has a cool brand that he uses that looks right on bowls. I think he said the surface has to be relatively flat though.