PDA

View Full Version : update: to previous threads on vfd's and my delta ras-12 and pm 1150

cody michael
10-19-2015, 10:23 AM
I had previously ordered a set of the cheap chinese vfds off ebay, couldn't get them to work, a few very helpful people off this board called and walked me through everything and they just wouldn't work. I returned them and purchased two teco fm50's it cost about 75$ more but I wired them in, hit the on button and the RAS and drill press fired right up, everything works exactly as it should, I may tweek some of the parameters but so far I have been very happy with them, I have not wired them in properly yet, just wired straight to motor to test, I did use the drill press to drill some holes in a piece of metal (I think stainless steel, I found it in my barn courtesy of previous owner) it was only 1/8 thick and I was drilling 3/16 holes and I still killed 4-5 drill bits (should of bought a higher quality one but I wanted to get it down now) so my experience with the teco fm50 has been great, it worked right out of the box, I will be wiring in on off switches and mounting them somewhere out of the way at some point.

I will have a bunch of stuff from the previous 3 phase setup, disconnects, fuse boxes magnetic switches etc. is any of it worth selling? after I mount the vfd on the tool I would not need those items for anything right? should I put any sort of fuse between vfd and motor or does the vfd protect the motor?

Malcolm McLeod
10-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Glad to hear things are going roundy-roundy!

VFD will protect the motor from overcurrent condition. Just make sure the parameters in VFD OL configuration are set to match FLA from the motor nameplate.

Assume you're using proper sized CB(s) to protect wiring to the VFD.

As for selling 'extras', I have no idea of 'used' market value, or your tolerance for CL PITAs, so you'll have to decide if the effort is worth it.

cody michael
10-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks, I'm always on Craigslist buying or selling something, I will have to collect everything I don't need and do some research