PDA

View Full Version : 7/32" (5.5mm) router bit set or adjustable?

Rich Engelhardt
10-19-2015, 7:09 AM
I need to make some flat panel doors and my stile and rail bit's are 1/4".
The plywood I'm using isn't - - it's about 7/32".

I guess I need a new set of bits, but, I'm undecided on getting an adjustable set or dedicated 7/32".

I like the "no fooling around, just stick them in and go" feature of a dedicated set.

OTOH - I like the added value of adjustable - - the Whiteside conversion unit runs about $38 vs about a hundred bucks or more for a dedicated set.

OTOH....that $38 is wasted if I don't ever use the one size or the other.

I can see using the 7/32" a lot more than the 1/4".

If it helps any, the style I'm looking it is a pretty basic Shaker, not an Ogee.

pat warner
10-19-2015, 9:18 AM
Would use a 3/16" slotter and change Z.
And if the tongue/slot is centered you can produce the 7/32" by inverting the work, one pass/side.

Jamie Buxton
10-19-2015, 10:14 AM
The trouble with a dedicated cutter for plywood is that the plywood thickness is not consistent. A lot of the "quarter-inch" plywood I get is about .19" thick, and likes a .20" dado. But some is more like .22", and MDF -- for paint-grade --- is really .25".

glenn bradley
10-19-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm with Pat and Jamie. Even if you have a regular supplier, his supplier may not send consistent thickness material or material that varies along the length of the edge.

I multi-pass (no I did not say that in Leeloo's voice from the Fifth Element) for plywoods as no "undersize" or "special" cutters have ever been good in all cases.