PDA

View Full Version : Special weekend project---Sycamore

David Hill
10-18-2015, 11:19 PM
My close friend lost his battle with brain cancer this week; all too soon. Had initially planned to have a weekend of fishing, but remembered that I'd shaped a piece that would be ideal as an urn since I knew he'd want to be cremated & the family was surprised/pleased with the offer---can go fishing another weekend. (That's where my weekend went & NOT complaining)

Think if I'm going to make more urns that I'll investigate the captured hollowing tools. I'm physically tired from making this one---the leverages on the tools are significant when reaching deep into a blank to hollow it. Did that mostly with carbides &am really glad I have the longer tools. Finished it today, didn't get it to the service, but then again no one was expecting it.

This is Sycamore-about 15 by ~ 7.5 inches. The hollowed area is 10 x 6.5-- He was a big guy. Finish is lacquer. Inside is finished with epoxy--mostly cause I don't trust endgrain vessels. The shape is reminiscent of a bullet since he was an avid outdoor person and gun collector (Family really liked that idea). Had considered dyeing the wood to look like a bullet but thought better of that since I have no experience with doing that & no one around here carries that material.(Besides I really prefer the look of the wood)
Experimenting with using PVC fittings for the lid and vessel as I'm not inclined to chase threads.

Aaron Craven
10-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Sorry for your loss, David. There's something fitting about the extra work you had to put into it -- a tribute to your friend.

David C. Roseman
10-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Nicely done, David, and very thoughtful. You mention being physically tired from turning it. I can imagine it was quite emotionally tiring, as well.

Mark Greenbaum
10-20-2015, 3:17 PM
That's a great thing that you've done. I've made an urn for my Father's ashes, and it sets on my dresser to remind me of him every day. I like the ide of the plumbing fitting threads. Can you show a better picture of that, and explain how you did that? A funeral home director told me that commercially available wooden urns are required to have screw tops, and I'd like to learn how to do that effectively.

David C. Roseman
10-20-2015, 6:16 PM
That's a great thing that you've done. I've made an urn for my Father's ashes, and it sets on my dresser to remind me of him every day. I like the ide of the plumbing fitting threads. Can you show a better picture of that, and explain how you did that? A funeral home director told me that commercially available wooden urns are required to have screw tops, and I'd like to learn how to do that effectively.

A professional turner in our club makes beautiful urns for high-end retail. He hand-chases the threads.

David Hill
10-21-2015, 12:20 PM
@Mark Greenbaum
I just get the fittings at the store and trim canister side to size since it'll be too long. I leave a lip in the top of the urn that the fitting sits on and then glue it in. Can't get more pics on this one---already in use.
I actually use my lathe--chuck up the fitting and use my cut off tool to get it to size---much safer than the bandsaw and less effort than the ol'hacksaw.