PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Full Overlay Hinges

Bill Adamsen
10-18-2015, 10:09 PM
What is your concealed full-overlay hinge of preference for thicker doors and/or wider opening?

I looked at the Grass Tiomos 160 (160°), and they provide an optimal reveal even with a thick (24mm or greater) door. But the doors I'm building have 1/4" laminated glass (add 5#/door) so I'm a bit concerned about all the mechanics/kinematics not to mention the rather significant size. Looking for recommendations.

Bill Neely
10-19-2015, 1:09 AM
I don't have any hinge recommendations but most mfgs have charts showing the number of hinges needed for a given weight and size - I think that's what you may want to look at.

Justin Ludwig
10-19-2015, 7:21 AM
I'd still use Blum 71B... series and add a middle hinge(s) if needed. Why160*? I use 170* application only on the swing of a lazy susan door, with a 60* bifold hinge on its pair.

The higher the degree hinge, the higher the $$.

Tom M King
10-19-2015, 4:44 PM
I like Salice hinges, but there are so many to choose from that I don't bother to remember model numbers.

http://www.salice.com/salice/file/public_admin/CatGen_Cerniere_Ed06_2012_ENG-981.pdf

I get them from Woodworkers Supply

Bill Adamsen
10-19-2015, 8:54 PM
Thanks guys. This is a job replacing doors ... upper cabinets with glass and lower with matched grain panels. They would like to "re-use" the Grass hinges that are there, and perhaps 25 years old. I actually used that brand back in the 1980s and remember them as being hard to adjust, not optimized for removing the door (no clip) and without soft close option. I'd like to upgrade and am just wondering what other folks find works well with a thicker door and smaller reveals.

Tom - looking at that Salice catalog as soon as I'm done with this post.

Justin - I guess I was thinking more about the door thickness, and that model was good up to 32m. I now see lots of options for doors in the 22-24mm range which is still thicker than I expect to be for the solid wood door.

Bill - good reminder about the weights ... that may be a limiting factor since I don't think I'll be able to add a third hinge.