PDA

View Full Version : Building and shingling a curved roof: Any experts out there?

Roger Feeley
10-18-2015, 8:41 PM
We are building a house and want to connect two structures with a curved open breezeway. I don't yet know the radius exactly. Our architect sort of pulled an estimate out of his hat and said that the difference between building a straight breezeway and a curved one was going to be between $10-20K. I'm considering doing the whole breezeway myself.

I'm mentally going through the complications for a curved breezway.

-- concrete isn't something I would do but I don't imagine that curves are that much worse that straight. They do that all the time.
-- Posts are posts.
-- Curved Lintels. I did bent laminated lintels for a pergola behind my current house. It will take some time but I'm not afraid of making them.
-- Rafter trusses: Some applied geometry there.
-- Sheathing. I'm guessing that I will have to cut a piece of sheathing for every couple of rafters.
-- Roofing felt: Hmmm. That stuff doesn't stretch. Going to be some funny looking pieces there.
-- Drip edge. How do I curve that stuff? Can I use PVC drip edge, cut slits and glue it with pipe glue?
-- Shingling. this will take time. As I understand it, I have to take my architectural shingles and cut the 3 tabs apart and cut special angles and nail them down individually.

So I have loads of questions. Is there anyone out there that has experience building curved roofs. Eyebrow windows don't count.

So why do I want a breezeway?
We are building on our daughters land to be near our new grandson (due in January). The idea is to build a pool house that we will live in. Local zoning calls this an 'accessory dwelling unit'. As such, we can't have a fully functioning kitchen. BUT, if we connect the pool house to the main house (breezeway), the ADU becomes an addition and we have can have the kitchen. Upon further questioning, we found that we can have a fully functioning kitchen except for a stove and oven. We can have a fridge, sink, dishwasher. We can also have hot plates and toaster ovens. We just can't have a cooktop or built-in oven.

The rules are the rules. It was actually some city employees that helped us navigate the breezeway 'loophole'. Kudos to them.

So our idea is to build and occupy the house using a hot plate and toaster oven. Then I can take my time building the breezeway. I just need to figure out how to do it.

Len Mullin
10-18-2015, 11:05 PM
lolol, I would like to know why you're making your own life so miserable? Give up on the idea of a curved roof, they cost so much more than a regular roof does that it's almost cost prohibitive. And the waste, well that's another issue with building curves with wood. I've only ever worked on one "curved" roof, it was a "PITA", the reason for the capitals letters is just to let you know how big of a pain it was. Personally, I think you would be better off to build a straight run roof if possible. What pitch will this roof be built at?
Len

charlie knighton
10-19-2015, 7:41 AM
what was that dog's name?

Tom M King
10-19-2015, 4:16 PM
architectural shingles don't have three tabs. They are a couple of layers glued together for the length of each shingle. google shingle swept valleys and fantail hips to give you ideas. I'm getting started on a cypress shingle roof that will use some of each. don't ask me what it will cost. I'll be able to tell you when we get finished.

Jim Andrew
10-19-2015, 9:49 PM
Sounds like a challenge to me. I'd sheet the roof with boards instead of sheets. Probably could set the posts, bolt one end of a plate to one post, then hook the pickup or skidsteer to the center of the plate with a chain, and bend it into the proper curve. Then cut the other end of the plate and bolt it to the post. Brace the plate and move to the other side. You will have to keep tension on the thing until you get the roof sheathing on and nailed. Shingling will be easy compared to framing it.

Roger Feeley
10-19-2015, 10:37 PM
My preference for the curve is not just because I like curves. If you google images of Washington's Mt. Vernon, you will get an idea of the property. Like Mt. Vernon, the main house has a long drive with a circle right in front of the house. We want to minimize the distraction from the main house and my feeling is that a curved breezeway would be a 'softer' transition between the two structures.

I am semi-retired and have plenty of time.

Roger Feeley
10-19-2015, 10:39 PM
My bad. The main house has plain old three tab shingles. I could use whatever's cheap. I would like something nicer. The shingling part doesn't scare me too much. I'm figuring out the drip edge, sheathing and the membrane.

Roger Feeley
10-19-2015, 10:40 PM
I don't know the pitch. Hopefully not too steep because I don't want it to be all that visible. As long as it can take the snow.
I'm guessing that it won't have gutters because it will only be 6' wide or so.