PDA

View Full Version : First time using TransTint water based dye

Mike Roscoe
10-18-2015, 5:59 PM
Ok, I am looking for suggestions on the proper way to finish soft maple using TransTint dye mixed with water or alcohol. My understanding is I probably want to use distilled water since I am planning to apply the dye by hand. What I have read is if you are using alcohol or mineral spirits (any liquid that flashes quickly) it is best to spray the finish.

I have limited experience with water based dye. The last time I used it on soft maple the blotches were so evident that you could barely tell the wood was maple. I experimented with various sealers both cut 50/50 and uncut. Again the results were not ideal. I have prepped the wood with hand sanding all the way to 800 grit and still had blotches. I've watched videos on curly maple (different animal) than the soft maple and I just cannot find the combination to get a smooth, equal finish. Any help on this would be appreciated. (Keith Outten weigh in if you could or call me)

George Bokros
10-18-2015, 6:09 PM
Last winter I finished a maple sewing machine cabinet my wife purchased in a kit. I used TransTint mixed in distilled water finish coated with ArmrSeal. Prior to applying the dye I treated the maple with Charles Neil Blotch Control per the instructions provided by Charles Neil. The CN Blotch Control provided a finish with zero botching. This is fantastic stuff. Give some consideration to using it.

It is available from Charles Neil link http://www.cn-woodworking.com/

(http://www.cn-woodworking.com/)

John TenEyck
10-18-2015, 7:58 PM
I've never used CN's Blotch Control so can't offer any comments. Of the approaches I've tried, the ONLY thing that has worked for me on any blotch prone wood, including maple, is to spray on the dye or to use a shellac toner. Spraying the dye, if you only spray enough to wet the wood and not enough to create a puddle, completely eliminated blotching for me. And it didn't matter if I used water or alcohol.

John

George Bokros
10-18-2015, 9:56 PM
I applied the dye with a cloth. I do not have a place to spray.

Scott Holmes
10-31-2015, 3:42 PM
Sanding to 800 on bare wood will burnish the wood in places and make the blotchiness worse. 220 is about as fine as one should go on bare wood.

I find wiping TransTint mixed with water is easier than when mixed with DNA. When mix with alcohol I spray it for a very even, uniform, color.

I have used Charles Neil's product with mix results. I found it would a bit better with water dye not so well with alcohol dye. YRMV I was using it on hard maple.