PDA

View Full Version : Write Off My Forrest Chop Master?

Mike Chalmers
10-18-2015, 5:26 PM
I have a 10" 80 tooth Chopmaster on my RAS. A board moved as I was cutting it and caused the blade to be seized in the cut. I had to force the kerf back open by driving a chisel into it. I was not careful enough and broke off a tooth.

I sent an Email to Forrest asking if they repaired their blades, and where I could get it done around where I live. I live in a rural part of Nova Scotia Canada, so I would expect the location given to be some distance away. That Email was never answered.

Is the loss of one tooth going to cause issues? The blade remains true, no warp.

Michael Moscicki
10-18-2015, 5:36 PM
http://www.forrestblades.com/forrest-factory-carbide-saw-blade-sharpening.html
http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpening-shipping-instructions.html

Send it in for repair. You can ship it to Forrest and have them repair it.

Mike Chalmers
10-18-2015, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the info and links. Not sure it is practical once all costs and exchanges are added up.
Question remains. Will using the blade as is cause any big issue?

Rich Engelhardt
10-18-2015, 6:04 PM
I've been running my Freud Dado blade one tooth short for a few years now w/no problems.
As long as the blade runs true and isn't warped I don't see how the loss of one tooth is any big deal.

I could be way off the mark though....

Steve Jenkins
10-18-2015, 6:13 PM
If you have a local sharpening service they probably can replace a tooth.

michael langman
10-18-2015, 6:44 PM
The blade has 80 teeth. That is quite a lot of teeth. I would run it with the missing tooth until it needs to be resharpened.

Mike Chalmers
10-18-2015, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the affirmation of my own take on the issue. Onward I go.

David Eisenhauer
10-18-2015, 7:36 PM
Yeah. My sharpening guy charges something like $5 a tooth for carbide tooth replacement when I send in a blade for sharpening.

David Kumm
10-18-2015, 11:05 PM
The last time Forrest replaced teeth it was $7-9 per tooth if I recall correctly. Dave

Justin Ludwig
10-19-2015, 7:27 AM
My only concern would be balance of the blade on a RAS. Vibration could cause run-out on cuts needing a high degree of accuracy. It may be a non issue on a blade with 80 teeth. Make some cuts in various stock and decide if it's good to go.

bill tindall
10-19-2015, 8:41 AM
Replacing a tooth is a common repair for any saw shop. I have had it done several times. It costs $3 a the shop I use plus $10 for sharpening. I would expect every large Canadian city to have a saw shop that would do the respite. To find saw shops locate a cabinet shop or furniture factory and ask who does their saw blade work.

Steve Peterson
10-19-2015, 1:24 PM
Are you sure that only one tooth was damaged? If the tooth next to it was compromised, it could come off soon. I would worry about a loose tooth getting stuck in the wood and all the remaining ones piling up behind it. Maybe a worst case would be chipping every single tooth so that they can't be sharpened.

Steve

Mike Chalmers
10-19-2015, 7:56 PM
Are you sure that only one tooth was damaged? If the tooth next to it was compromised, it could come off soon. I would worry about a loose tooth getting stuck in the wood and all the remaining ones piling up behind it. Maybe a worst case would be chipping every single tooth so that they can't be sharpened.Steve

Thanks, but I am willing to take that chance.

John Lifer
10-20-2015, 8:19 AM
Run it, but they are easily replaced and resharpened.

Mike Schuch
10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I have a 10" 80 tooth Chopmaster on my RAS. A board moved as I was cutting it and caused the blade to be seized in the cut. I had to force the kerf back open by driving a chisel into it. I was not careful enough and broke off a tooth.

I sent an Email to Forrest asking if they repaired their blades, and where I could get it done around where I live. I live in a rural part of Nova Scotia Canada, so I would expect the location given to be some distance away. That Email was never answered.

Is the loss of one tooth going to cause issues? The blade remains true, no warp.

How did the board move as you were cutting it? Do you not have an appropriate fence on your RAS? I have been using a RAS for 35+ years and have never had a piece of stock I was crosscutting move on me. Maybe you need to examine your technique, the alignment of your saw or its fence? I am not trying to give you a hard time I am just trying to keep you from being injured!

Aaron Conway
10-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Are you sure that only one tooth was damaged? If the tooth next to it was compromised, it could come off soon. I would worry about a loose tooth getting stuck in the wood and all the remaining ones piling up behind it. Maybe a worst case would be chipping every single tooth so that they can't be sharpened.

Steve

That was my concern as well when reading this post. If it were me I'd really think about throwing out that blade...or investingin a bullet proof vest to wear while using it.

Aaron

Mike Chalmers
10-20-2015, 2:48 PM
How did the board move as you were cutting it? Do you not have an appropriate fence on your RAS? I have been using a RAS for 35+ years and have never had a piece of stock I was crosscutting move on me. Maybe you need to examine your technique, the alignment of your saw or its fence? I am not trying to give you a hard time I am just trying to keep you from being injured!

Do not concern yourself. Internal stress caused the piece to squeeze shut on the blade. The riving knife on the table saw prevents this, but there is no such beast on the RAS.

And... Never say Never

Mike Schuch
10-20-2015, 4:40 PM
Do not concern yourself. Internal stress caused the piece to squeeze shut on the blade. The riving knife on the table saw prevents this, but there is no such beast on the RAS.

And... Never say Never

Yep, accidents/incidents DO happen! I really like radial arm saws and think they are a great tool if used safely. It must have been a beautiful piece of gnarly wood!

ken carroll
10-20-2015, 7:40 PM
In this case, why worry about our opinions? Make a few cuts, inspect lumber, yay or nay. Easy Peasy.......

Mike Chalmers
10-21-2015, 5:56 PM
In this case, why worry about our opinions? Make a few cuts, inspect lumber, yay or nay. Easy Peasy.......I asked. Reviewed responses. Made decision based on information provided, my comfort level, and financial situation. Forum provided feedback as that is the main reason (in my opinion) they exist.