PDA

View Full Version : What was in my mind today?

Dino Makropoulos
08-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi Guys.

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/ez-smart-routing

Can you please tell me what was in my mind today? :confused:

This carpet board sample was done in 30-40 minutes at $150.00 per piece. :D
The next lowest price was $350.00 per board for a total of 63 boards. :eek:
The carpet store owner stop over today and after he saw the EZ at work, he complaint about the price.

To be continue after your thoughts. :cool:
YCF Dino

Keith Christopher
08-29-2005, 1:41 AM
I learned when I was an animator, NEVER EVER show or let the client know if something is "easy" the price in their mind drops dramatically.

Kurt Aebi
08-29-2005, 8:43 AM
Dino,

You have to let him know that while it looks simple, there was a lot of ingenuity and engineering and equipment expense that went into your plan. Also let him know that he is "SAVING" $200 on each of these and that is a whole lotta GREEN!!!!

HUGE Savings for him - Make sure he isn't just joking with you as far as his "complaining" goes - if he's serious, show him what $200 time 63 comes out to in cold hard cash!

Dino Makropoulos
08-29-2005, 8:43 AM
I learned when I was an animator, NEVER EVER show or let the client know if something is "easy" the price in their mind drops dramatically.
Hi Keith.

That was lesson no 1.
I knew that. :confused: But after I saved him $6.000.00 I thought it was ok for him to stop over.
I told him the job was EZ and he can do it, but he complaint for the price of the tools.
He owns a good PC router but the $180.00 price tag for the 5'-00'' ez system was high.
I got this job for less than half ((I knew the other prices)
and for few reasons.
Test some ideas and the SRK. Save $6.000.00 for a friend.
Take few pictures and videos for my costumers. :cool:
Make better instructions for the system. And make some saw dust to get my mind off something. :rolleyes:
Hint: For each board 36" x 56' the guide rail needed to be moved only 4 times.
YCF Dino

Charles Bruno
08-29-2005, 8:50 AM
That is the first time I've seen that system, ez smart? where can I view more info on that?

Steve Jenkins
08-29-2005, 8:57 AM
Dino is the inventor. His website is Eurekazone.com

Byron Trantham
08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Dino, I never let customers in the shop. They see what they want to see and it usually isn't what is really going on. I do take pictures during the build process and give them a CD done in Power Point format to show "all the work" that went into their job. The most common feedback is "I had no idea how much went into making something!" BTW, the CD is free. I just like making them its a nice freebie for the customer.

Michael Ballent
08-29-2005, 1:30 PM
Dino,

You just need to explain to him that he is also paying for your experience. The reason that you are able to charge him the price you did was because you are able to work smarter and passing the saving on to him... If he does not understand, then your only option would be to refund him his money and let him go to someone else that will charge him more money ;) You do not need a customer like that IMO.

russ bransford
08-29-2005, 7:47 PM
this reminds me of the story of the 'old violin' at auction. "the bids start low and go slow, 3, 4 hundred dollars. then an older gentleman steps up on the stage and begins to play the 'old violin'. when he stops. the bidding starts again. do I hear 1,000........2,000........3,000, who'll give me more.....10,000.....20,000..sold..............the crowd grew quiet, then someone asked, what made the difference?........It was touched by the master............."

Dino, you have that touch with tools, your invention, the ez guide. at first glance they look very simple. nothing to it. then when you start cutting, it becomes priceless.
I mention here again the WOOD MAGAZINE article, where whoever was doing the testing didn't have a clue as to what he had before him in the ez smart guide.
he definitely needs some violin lessons, it's obvious he was just fiddlin' around.

Dino Makropoulos
08-29-2005, 8:23 PM
Dino,

You have to let him know that while it looks simple, there was a lot of ingenuity and engineering and equipment expense that went into your plan. Also let him know that he is "SAVING" $200 on each of these and that is a whole lotta GREEN!!!!

HUGE Savings for him - Make sure he isn't just joking with you as far as his "complaining" goes - if he's serious, show him what $200 time 63 comes out to in cold hard cash!
Kurt.
I call him.
I told him to wright a check for $6.600.00 to his name with a note.
Then I ask him if he knows what note to wright. :rolleyes:
-Thanks Dino.
- Thank you. And don't worry, your money goes to a good cause. :D

Lesson no 2.
Thanks Curt.

Dino Makropoulos
08-29-2005, 8:33 PM
Dino, I never let customers in the shop. They see what they want to see and it usually isn't what is really going on. I do take pictures during the build process and give them a CD done in Power Point format to show "all the work" that went into their job. The most common feedback is "I had no idea how much went into making something!" BTW, the CD is free. I just like making them its a nice freebie for the customer.

I like the CD idea. What is the power point format?
I just bought a Sharp video and EZ share Kodak camera. :)
I even learn how to upload pictures to my own photo gallery.
I hope my pictures and movies don't speek Greek like me. :(
Thanks Byron.

Dino Makropoulos
08-29-2005, 9:25 PM
Dino,

You just need to explain to him that he is also paying for your experience. The reason that you are able to charge him the price you did was because you are able to work smarter and passing the saving on to him... If he does not understand, then your only option would be to refund him his money and let him go to someone else that will charge him more money ;) You do not need a customer like that IMO.

Michael.
I was ready to do just that.
Good thing I' don't tell him that I got the job for testing and development. :)
He may ask me to pay him. :confused:
Thanks

Bill Fields
08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
DIno:

Agree w/ all previous posts. There is something in the water in the New York area that breeds a consumer always feeling that he is being ripped off. Don't give the money back.

Invite him--friendly-style-to go elsewhere--and tell him you will always welcome him back.

BILL FIELDS

Bob Noles
08-30-2005, 8:24 AM
Dino....

You'd better stop playing and get to work..... Sept 1 is almost here :D :D :D

Dino Makropoulos
08-30-2005, 6:28 PM
DIno:

Agree w/ all previous posts. There is something in the water in the New York area that breeds a consumer always feeling that he is being ripped off. Don't give the money back.

Invite him--friendly-style-to go elsewhere--and tell him you will always welcome him back.

BILL FIELDS

Bill.
High taxes?
Don't worry. At the end we should all thank this guy.
After 63 boards our tools will be smarter. :D
I told him to buy the system but he never believe
that the EZ can make it so ...EZ.
I will video tape the very last board.
And I make sure he's holding the camera. :mad:
By that time the Ez should do one board in 10 minutes. :)
Then I post again on SMC for more advice. :D

Dino Makropoulos
08-30-2005, 6:34 PM
this reminds me of the story of the 'old violin' at auction. "the bids start low and go slow, 3, 4 hundred dollars. then an older gentleman steps up on the stage and begins to play the 'old violin'. when he stops. the bidding starts again. do I hear 1,000........2,000........3,000, who'll give me more.....10,000.....20,000..sold..............the crowd grew quiet, then someone asked, what made the difference?........It was touched by the master............."

Dino, you have that touch with tools, your invention, the ez guide. at first glance they look very simple. nothing to it. then when you start cutting, it becomes priceless.
I mention here again the WOOD MAGAZINE article, where whoever was doing the testing didn't have a clue as to what he had before him in the ez smart guide.
he definitely needs some violin lessons, it's obvious he was just fiddlin' around.

Russ.
You're getting next to...(close to)
"what was in my mind "
second hint. :rolleyes:

Dino Makropoulos
08-30-2005, 6:49 PM
Dino....

You'd better stop playing and get to work..... Sept 1 is almost here :D :D :D

The month is almost here.
what year we say? :confused:

Have your credit card ready Bob. :)
You know what? I'm going back to work now.
I think I can make it much EZier and faster.
I just like to see this guy face (and not only) (3rd hint). :cool:
when I finish the last board in + - 10 minutes.

Thanks Bob.

Steve Rowe
08-30-2005, 8:30 PM
Hi Guys.

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/ez-smart-routing

Can you please tell me what was in my mind today? :confused:

This carpet board sample was done in 30-40 minutes at $150.00 per piece. :D
The next lowest price was $350.00 per board for a total of 63 boards. :eek:
The carpet store owner stop over today and after he saw the EZ at work, he complaint about the price.

To be continue after your thoughts. :cool:
YCF Dino
You just saved the guy (your friend???) $12,600 and he is complaining that the price is too high. Sounds to me like he needs to look at what he got out of this and not worry about what it cost you in time, materials, and tools to do.

Dino Makropoulos
08-30-2005, 10:28 PM
You just saved the guy (your friend???) $12,600 and he is complaining that the price is too high. Sounds to me like he needs to look at what he got out of this and not worry about what it cost you in time, materials, and tools to do.

Steve.
I knew the "lowest price" before I start the job.
This is funny. Right next door to our place is another shop.(bath fitter)
All day they cut huge panels (acrylic) with a zick-saw.
I told the manager that they can save thousands over the year by using other methods and tools.
They have few places in US and Canada.
But they're stuck on the zick saw blades with this "down facing" teeth.
I hate this blades. :mad: And now I'm stuck with the stupid noice of the saw and the blades. : :confused: mad:
what can I say?

Anyway. To get even with the carpet guy, I have to make the system so fast... that he will feel bad for the money he spend instead of feeling good for the $12.600.00 that I save him. :rolleyes: ;)

Time to recap few thoughts for hint no 4.
The carpet guy,the next door shop, the latest review of the EZ by 2 magazines the same time and me thinking of.....what? :confused:

Thanks Steve.

Steve Rowe
08-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Steve.
I told the manager that they can save thousands over the year by using other methods and tools.
I hate this blades. :mad: And now I'm stuck with the stupid noice of the saw and the blades. : :confused: mad:
what can I say?

Anyway. To get even with the carpet guy, I have to make the system so fast... that he will feel bad for the money he spend instead of feeling good for the $12.600.00 that I save him. :rolleyes: ;)

The carpet guy,the next door shop, the latest review of the EZ by 2 magazines the same time and me thinking of.....what? :confused:

Thanks Steve.
Dino - kinda makes me wonder if his attitude would change had the roles been reversed. Lets say he developed a carpet installation technique more efficient than anyone else, and quoted you a price a lot less than anyone else to install carpet. Does he think you would complain about how expensive it was because you saw how little time his installers spent carpeting your home especially considering his price was less than half what anyone else would do it for?
BTW - Do you exhibit the EZ at trade shows such as the IWF? I don't believe that I have seen your system anywhere other than that discussed on SMC. Unfortunately, I have been having significant problems with my DSL and can't even get to your site to look.

Bob Noles
08-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Steve.
what can I say?

Thanks Steve.

Dino,

What are you thinking??? According to your story and the hints given, I think you are considering a new price structure the won't throw my credit card over the limit :rolleyes: :cool: :D

I also hope you are thinking about the jig saw atachment to the router plate :p

Now... do I win the Fiat? :eek:

Dino Makropoulos
09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Dino,

What are you thinking??? According to your story and the hints given, I think you are considering a new price structure the won't throw my credit card over the limit :rolleyes: :cool: :D

I also hope you are thinking about the jig saw atachment to the router plate :p

Now... do I win the Fiat? :eek:

Hi Bob.
The Fiat?
Imagine if someone shows up with my tools to take the challange. :eek:
I better do something about that. This is official now. All eurekazonians are excluded from the EZ challenge. ;)