PDA

View Full Version : table legs from small logs?

Acharya Kumarswami
10-18-2015, 3:10 PM
A friend brought up some logs from a pheasant wood tree. Out of seven pieces, three are big enough to get some good planks from, but four are in the 5-6-7" range. His brother makes tables and asked that we mill out some 3" pieces for that purpose. Can anyone tell me if the small logs might suffice for that? This would mean the pith would be in the center of the 3" sticks. My logic tells me this would be fine, just as beams and posts often contains the pith of larger logs. Of course, there is the factor that these small pieces are branch wood. Normally I would not bother with them, but this wood is so rare that it seems we should get as much from them as we can.

If they are not suitable for legs or other purposes requiring length, we could think of their future destiny being material for boxes, lasered pieces, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John TenEyck
10-18-2015, 3:49 PM
A piece that contains the pith is going to split radially as it dries. I would cut thinner pieces out of them w/o including the pith.

John

Acharya Kumarswami
10-18-2015, 4:13 PM
Thanks, John. That makes sense.

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2015, 8:09 PM
There's a trick that builders use when they're including whole logs in buildings. They cut a slit from bark to pith the whole length of the log. As the log dries and shrinks, the slit gets wider, but there's no splitting on the remainder of the log. They hide the cut slit -- put it on the top of a beam, or on a wall side of a post. Perhaps you could use this trick on your legs. The slit would likely have to face toward the center of the table.

Acharya Kumarswami
10-18-2015, 9:37 PM
Hmmm. Having seen many stock lumber posts, made from small farm grown trees, with pith in them, I was ignoring this problem. (perhaps lumber mills get away with this because the wood is kiln dried?) Hence I have been assuming that the 10x10 camphor posts I am going to mill for a post and beam structure will be OK right out of the log. Of course, they will contain the pith, as the logs are not large enough to avoid that. After first receiving your response I began thinking that perhaps I should cut them in half and saw out the pith portion on the mill, let the 5x10 pairs dry and then glue them back together. Another option would be to cut a slit with a beam circular saw. In a couple of years when I use the posts, I can fill the cracks and let them face as you suggest. It could even be handled as a design feature. I vaguely recall seeing such cracks in the past, filled and the putty painted, not quite knowing their origin. That certainly seems like a lot less work than the split and glue method.

Jamie Buxton
10-19-2015, 8:29 PM
I'm vaguely remembering that Japanese temple builders have a specific name for that slot along the side of the log. But I have no hope of remembering the name.

Cody Colston
10-21-2015, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't use table-leg stock that contained the pith nor would I use limb wood for them. Rift-sawn lumber makes the best legs because they are stable and the grain looks the same from all four sides.

For large beams like the 10x10's mentioned, I would not have a problem centering the pith in them. There is a world of difference in a post & beam structure vs fine furniture.