PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector hood for the miter saw

Gene Davis
10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Mine is a Dewalt 715, a non-slider, table rotates to 50 degrees left or right, yoke rotates 45 over left only. A nice tool, has served me well, but the thing makes dust. Lots of it.

I looked all around the intertoobz for ideas, and have settled on this thing done by a guy who posted his build blog on the Lumberjocks site. The pics show my workup, done in Sketchup, for the size of the rig. I spent about the same amount of time doing this Sketchup thing as I might have mocking one up in cardboard.

The dust port of the saw will connect to a vacuum cleaner flex hose that will ell into a pipe at the back which will exit and go down to the box plenum, the thing with the three-hole baffle at rear, which picks up the dust that comes through the full-width bottom slot of the hood.

The saw looks like a jumble because I rotated copies of it into all the extreme positions, to gauge the amount of cutout I'll need to do for the top.

I sure hope it works.

The Sketchup model was uploaded to the 3D Warehouse, should anybody care to download it for inspection and use.

Don Kondra
10-18-2015, 12:14 PM
I think you have made this more complicated than it needs to be :)

No matter how you try, it is unlikely that all of the sawdust left "in the hood" will be drawn away.

More important is that none of the fine dust escapes into the air.

This is my solution (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207146-Stand-and-dust-collection-for-a-SCMS)

Cheers, Don

Tom M King
10-18-2015, 2:09 PM
323597323598323599looks similar to mine, which works great. Mine has a 6" duct, tied into a 3hp DC which also serves the Table Saw and Jointer with no blast gates. We use that setup inside houses with no dust cleanup.

Michael W. Clark
10-18-2015, 2:35 PM
Mine is similar to Don's. I have a trough in the back with only a 4" hose attached at the bottom. It works well except that some dust lays in trough. Eventually, I will slope the sides into the dust port to make it more like a "sink" to help the dust go in the opening. Being able to close off some of the front area helps to keep dust from escaping. (Reduces face area, so the air speed through the opening is higher and dust is less likely to get out.)

Gene Davis
10-18-2015, 6:00 PM
Yours is nice.

Here is the video that made me embark on making on like his. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCgwTqJhqM

I built it today, except for the plumbing.

Jim German
10-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Just a warning, I built one similar to these and while it works just fine with the Dust Collector on, if I want to make a quick cut without bothering to turn on the DC it spits alot more dust back into my face than without the hood.

Gene Davis
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
I can see that. Thanks for the heads up. I have a smaller chopsaw nearby, no hood, that I will use for the random single chops.

Ben Rivel
10-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Yea miter saws are notorious for making too much dust. So far I havent even bothered trying to collect it from mine and I bought one of the DeWalt stands (LINK (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dewalt+miter+stand)) and just take it outside. Works great if you live in an area where weather permits it most of the year.

Tom M King
10-19-2015, 4:18 PM
Just a warning, I built one similar to these and while it works just fine with the Dust Collector on, if I want to make a quick cut without bothering to turn on the DC it spits alot more dust back into my face than without the hood.
Mine doesn't do that, but mine is deeper and bigger to hold a slider. the little PVC director may help too. Mine has a slot all the way across the back bottom into a plenum with the 6" outlet under the plenum for when the DC is on. I built it as a trial, expecting to have to close it in more, and make other modifications, but it worked so good that I've been using it since 2008 just like this. 3 hp DC is very hungry though. The big flat top makes a good, handy shelf. as big as it is, it's only an inch deeper front to back than the saw is without it.