PDA

View Full Version : Ugly work

George Sanders
10-18-2015, 9:57 AM
Ever build something you and hate how it turned out. I just built a lathe stand from common lumber. It is rock solid and ugly as a mud fence. Fortunately paint hides a multitude of sins

John TenEyck
10-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Ugly? Doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff I've made. Run an 1/8" radius on all the edges, sand everything flush and nice, and put a couple of coats of paint on it. It'll look real purdy.

John

Lee Schierer
10-18-2015, 4:19 PM
Ugly is an aesthetic quality, function if far more important. It looks like you nailed the important part of the design.

Tim Boger
10-18-2015, 7:15 PM
No really ... I'd be pleased with that if I made it.

Keith Westfall
10-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Does it work? Then it's a beauty!

Ian Moone
10-18-2015, 11:42 PM
A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice any errors with it!.
"Your not makin' Omega watches" (One of my Late Father / 20 year business partner's, many favorite sayings). :rolleyes:
He had many others, mostly "not suitable for publication". ;)

Vince Shriver
01-09-2016, 5:58 AM
"That was an ugly landing", he said as he walked away, unscathed, from a pile of twisted metal. But it was good enough!

Frederick Skelly
01-09-2016, 6:44 AM
Run an 1/8" radius on all the edges, sand everything flush and nice, and put a couple of coats of paint on it.

When I looked at the pic, I thought "That's a pretty nice tool stand". I absolutely agree with John - some roundovers or camphers, a good sanding and some paint will make you pleased with it.

Adam Petersen
01-09-2016, 10:45 AM
You aren't supposed to see the lathe stand anyways. It'll be buried in shavings in no time!

Jim Becker
01-09-2016, 4:17 PM
You aren't supposed to see the lathe stand anyways. It'll be buried in shavings in no time!
^^^ This!!!!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2016, 4:31 PM
It looks like function over form to me and there is nothing wrong with that in my shop.

Terry Hatfield
01-09-2016, 4:40 PM
I've built WAY uglier. You've got to try harder than that to surpass my ugly. :D

Mark Greenbaum
02-03-2016, 11:05 PM
A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice any errors with it!.
"Your not makin' Omega watches" (One of my Late Father / 20 year business partner's, many favorite sayings). :rolleyes:
He had many others, mostly "not suitable for publication". ;)

My folks would say, "Will duplicate on your lot". Usually about my run down shack way out in the country that I bought and was living in at the time.

Floyd Cox
02-13-2016, 11:00 AM
solid looking stand. Ugly?; I don't think so.. its going in your shop.

Frank Hagan
02-13-2016, 1:15 PM
You know, for about $1,450 you could buy a "Precision Mount Adjustable Aluminum Extrusion Blue Plastic T-Track Premium Lathe Stand and Coffee Maker" and it would look purdy. Why on earth would a wood worker make something out of wood?

Seriously, I have been on a hiatus from wood working the last few years and I've been shocked by the cost of accessories now (including things like push sticks ... PUSH STICKS ... that cost $20). So it's good to see a very nicely executed shop-built stand that works. And probably cost you a lot less than $1,450.