PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage to shingle roofs

Stephen Tashiro
10-18-2015, 4:14 AM
What does hail damage to a shingle roof look like? How is it repaired?

We had a hailstorm recently - a very rare event in this location The worst hail was about the size of the big bubble gum balls you see in vending machines. It's easy to see the dents on the roof of my car. A friend who has a shingle roof needs to know if the hail damaged his roof and how it should be repaired.

Justin Ludwig
10-18-2015, 8:00 AM
What does hail damage to a shingle roof look like? How is it repaired?

We had a hailstorm recently - a very rare event in this location The worst hail was about the size of the big bubble gum balls you see in vending machines. It's easy to see the dents on the roof of my car. A friend who has a shingle roof needs to know if the hail damaged his roof and how it should be repaired.

There's a whole internet out there. https://www.google.com/search?q=hail+damage+to+shingles&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIoMu76fvLyAIVTdtjCh05zwKJ&biw=1920&bih=918
(https://www.google.com/search?q=hail+damage+to+shingles&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIoMu76fvLyAIVTdtjCh05zwKJ&biw=1920&bih=918)
Get multiple quotes from roofers. My Dad just saved 15% by switching to Geico, no wait, wrong commercial. He just saved $2800 without compromising quality of work. His roof was 15yrs old but the adjuster said it looked 30. His roof was beat all to hail.

Brian Elfert
10-18-2015, 8:02 AM
You should either have your insurance company send out an adjuster, or have a roofing company look at the roof. Most homeowner's policies will pay for a new roof if hail damaged.

I had a hail storm hit my house this summer and cause $3,200 in damage to my car. The insurance company sent someone out who said my roof was not damaged. He said I have really good shingles that are hail resistant. Quite a few neighbors had their roofs replaced by their insurers so I am considering having a roofer come out to look at my roof for a second opinion.

Larry Frank
10-18-2015, 8:14 AM
We get hail a couple times a year. IMHO hail the size of bubble gum balls would not cause damage unless roof is old or driven by high winds. But if there is damage on a car roof it sounds like you could get roof damage.

I would expect most roofers to say the roof is damaged to sell a new roof.

If you have damage you should see some broken edges on shingles or dents. Older roofs with shingles starting to curl a little at edges are more susceptible to damage.

I think that one should keep an eye on the roof as part of normal yearly maintenance looking for damaged shingles, loose shingles, damage or issues in valleys or flashing and general wear.

Matt Meiser
10-18-2015, 8:25 AM
When they were up on mine they described it as looking like some beat on it with a hammer. One sign is downspout drains full of roof granule. Looks fine from the ground.

Mike Null
10-18-2015, 8:41 AM
Hail is a fairly common occurrence here in the St. Louis area and it does damage roofs, sometimes seriously. We had a major storm about three years ago and everybody in our immediate neighborhood replaced their roof. This year the worst storm hit a couple of blocks away and roofers trucks have been there all summer.

My insurance company paid to replace my 20 year old shingle roof except for about $700 of about an $8000 total.

Kev Williams
10-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Decent shingles will take WAY more than marble-sized hail to hurt 'em. Old brittle 3-tabs can be busted up, but newer architectural shingles, not likely...

Steve Peterson
10-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Quite a few neighbors had their roofs replaced by their insurers so I am considering having a roofer come out to look at my roof for a second opinion.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut"? :)

Steve

Brian Elfert
10-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Have you ever heard the saying, "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut"? :)

The roofer I use I know personally. He and some of his family do free roofing work at a Boy Scout camp every year. I trust him to be honest about the condition of a roof. Who else would I call for second opinion on a damaged roof besides a roofer anyhow?

Ole Anderson
10-19-2015, 2:00 PM
If the hailstorm was at all widespread, chances are his insurance company brought in hail damage adjusters that deal with hail damaged roofs all of the time. We have Allstate and they sent an adjuster from Oklahoma City when a thousand homes in our area got damaged from golf ball sized hail last year. Most homes got a full tear off and new roof to current code. As it was explained to us, hail damage barely perceptible can show up a few years later, so the insurance companies are usually pretty lenient in assessing such damage. This is what the storm cloud looked like as it passed over our lake:

Jim Andrew
10-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Most shingles made today are asphalt over a sheet of fiberglass screen. If hail hits it hard it cracks the fiberglass screen and you have a problem. The roof can leak without visible damage because of the cracks. The hail resistant shingles are a good thing. The first time I installed the hail resistant shingles I was amazed, as your hammer would bounce when you hit the shingle with the hammer. Seems they are made of ground up rubber tires. The brand I installed was Malarkey.

Bill Bukovec
10-20-2015, 12:26 PM
We called our insurance company and they sent their adjuster. He measured a 10 foot x 10 foot area on the roof. Then he marked what looked liked ball peen hammer marks within that area. A certain number of marks meant we got the roof replaced.

I did the re-roof (complete tear off and re-shingle) myself and was very happy with the entire process.

Good luck,

Bill

Matt Meiser
10-20-2015, 1:14 PM
I was told its 10 marks in a 10x10 square. Everyone in our sub got/is getting a new roof this summer after a mid-June storm. Even the sheltered sides of roofs in our sub got that. We're on the schedule for tomorrow--its something like a $12K job including our shed. House right behind us that was built last summer even got one.

We also need new gutters, siding on about 2/3 of the house, a bunch of fascia, some window frame repairs, and paint work which they'll be doing over the next couple weeks. Our AC system already was replaced (we paid to upgrade the indoor unit, insurance paid for the outside) and they wrote us a check for several hundred in personal property that was damaged. All told its going to be about a $30K claim. The house across the street it actually broke the seals between the panes on several windows. The Andersen rep that came out to inspect ours was pretty proud of the fact that he'd inspected several houses and not found a bad window--just some trim damage. The Jeld-Wen rep would not be able to say that ;).

Luckily we keep our cars in the garage (and one was out of town anyway) so we didn't have 2 more deductibles to pay like a lot of our neighbors.

Brian Elfert
10-20-2015, 11:37 PM
My insurance only has one deductible for a single event. If both a vehicle and the house are damaged by the same event only one deductible applies. I had hail damage to my car, but no hail damage to the house.